How to decide on calories

Options
Hi everyone! So I know that MFP sets your caloric intake for you when you fill out the information, but I'm just wondering if people always go by that or if you choose a different number? For instance, mine calculates that I should eat a little over 1500 calories a day for weight loss, but when I talk to my doctors, they suggest I stick to a 1200 calorie diet for weight loss?

Just interested to see what people have been successful with :smile:

Replies

• Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Chances of you being on the nose about your bmr and the deficit needed off the bat are extremely low. Use MFP as a guide and track for a month or more. If you are honest and accurate and the numbers don't do what the numbers say they should, then adjust them as needed.

For easy math...
    2000cal a day maintenance. To lose 1lb/week would require a 1300cal a day intake. 700cal/day difference = 3500cals over the week. 1lb = 3500cals.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Most doctors have had one or less classes on nutrition. If you have a health condition that requires a particular eating plan, get a referral/appointment with a registered dietician. Otherwise try the MFP numbers and see what happens in 6 weeks. For most people, a food scale used consistently is the most important tool.

For your original question, yes, after about 6 weeks, I increased my calories from what MFP recommended (1220 to 1300). I was losing .8 lbs per week instead of the .5 lb I was shooting for. I think my normal activity level is between MFP options, so I had to adjust for that.
  • cholloway88
    cholloway88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @kimny72 thank you for the links! It had some really good information. No, no health conditions that I need to lose weight aggressively for, but I do have some chronic health issues that I battle.
  • cholloway88
    cholloway88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @Strudders67 congrats on the weight loss! I've set my weight loss goal to .5-1 pound per week since I am unable to be very active.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It takes a bit of trial and error. If you are in a scenario where slow & steady is appropriate, then 1500 is perhaps more realistic. If you have health matters that make faster weight loss important, you may need to aim for faster.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So I know that MFP sets your caloric intake for you when you fill out the information, but I'm just wondering if people always go by that or if you choose a different number? For instance, mine calculates that I should eat a little over 1500 calories a day for weight loss, but when I talk to my doctors, they suggest I stick to a 1200 calorie diet for weight loss?

Just interested to see what people have been successful with :smile:

You can pick something in between 1200 and 1500.

I go with 1350.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,000 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I have found most my Dr's don't know diddly about weight loss and nutrition. I would go by the MFP calculator. It's pretty accurate for me.
  • Privatesandbank
    Privatesandbank Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I’m almost 6’ I would faint on 1200. My TDEE is somewhere between 2500-3000. I set my calories to 1600. :)
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Unless you are a very short, sedentary, and/or older woman with very little weight to lose, 1200 is too few calories for you.

Most doctors know very little about weight loss and nutrition because they receive little to no training in these things.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,262 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Unless you are a very short, sedentary, and/or older woman with very little weight to lose, 1200 is too few calories for you.

Most doctors know very little about weight loss and nutrition because they receive little to no training in these things.

Heck, I'm kinda short (5'5"), sedentary (outside of intentional exercise) and at age 59-60, 1200 (plus eating back all exercise calories!) was too few calories for me. I lost 50 pounds in less than a year, most of it on 1400-1600 plus exercise calories.

I admit I'm mysteriously a good li'l ol' calorie burner, and that some women (like apullum said, very short, sedentary, older) do need to stick to 1200 calories to lose.

But there are definitely more people eating 1200 than need to, and more doctors recommending it** as a default weight loss diet for women.

** I think they believe most people won't estimate calories accurately, based on sound research that says that's the case. If you weigh/log food carefully, you won't fall into that trap.

This link is an excellent read on the subject:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I use what MFP calculates from the info I enter in the Goals section of my profile.

There are other online calculators to help each of use establish a good number of calories based on our goals.

Seems to me if we're here at MFP looking for answers, we can do ourselves a lot of good by spending time to read the sticky posts at the top of Getting Started section. The risk of a 1200 calorie a day idea is very well explained; as is the problems that come from eyeballing portions.

I lost 30 pounds eating 1525 calories a day. Previous attempts at 1200 calories a day were unsustainable, and the weight came right back. This time it is staying off.

good luck to you, and good fitness to us all!

• rumbaimom
    rumbaimom Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Darn it. You just described me. How I mourn my 1200 calorie limit. 😂😂
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    At first I went with what MFP suggested, but it didn't seem like much food to me, and after several seeks of losing faster than expected, I increased it by about 200 kcal.

Then after three months of accumulating data, I used the logging and weight loss data from months 2 and 3 (discarding initial water weight loss) to calculate my actual NEAT (my exercise varied enough that I felt it was better to use NEAT thsn TDEE), and I started using that number to calculate my deficit from.

Repeated the calculation a year later and got a still higher number, despite weight loss (presumably due to increased base level activity and possibly an increase in muscle, although the latter doesn't make that much difference).