If you haven’t tried savory oatmeal, DO IT.

PlaceboFX
PlaceboFX Posts: 38 Member
I just made a savory oatmeal recipe from the YouTube channel The Domestic Nerd, with mushrooms, spinach, garlic, red pepper flakes, and chicken stock instead of water, and it’s my new favorite recipe.
It’s sooo creamy and rich tasting, yet only 200 calories for the bowl (if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup).
Look up savory oatmeal on YouTube, there are so many amazing recipes. 😍😍 I can’t believe how well it works.

Replies

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    "(if you make it with a half cup of oatmeal instead of a full cup)."

*kitten* that noise....
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Thank you for the info! Will have to try these. I guess almost anything you would put rice, lentils, couscous, quinoa with would work, never thought of that.
  • PlaceboFX
    PlaceboFX Posts: 38 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »

*kitten* that noise....

Ordinary I’d agree, but with the mushrooms and spinach to bulk it up, it almost completely filled my bowl! I was stuffed afterwards!

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    I would probably like this. I like savory cottage cheese too rather than fruity.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    I haven't tried to make it myself but I ordered it twice at a fancy restaurant where they cooked it with cod, drizzled with basil oil and garnished with deep fried cod skin. Don't know how they got the texture to be similar to risotto.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    PlaceboFX wrote: »

*kitten* that noise....

Ordinary I’d agree, but with the mushrooms and spinach to bulk it up, it almost completely filled my bowl! I was stuffed afterwards!

How tiny is your bowl????

How large is your bowl?
    Secondary question, have you looked at the serving size on something like say, the back of a package of Bob's Red Mill's rolled oats lately?
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    I have savory oatmeal every morning made with an egg, tomatoes, green onions, spices, sausage, some cheese and a tiny bit of sourcream and salsa on top. so good and filling.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    I haven't tried savory oatmeal but I might have to give it a try next week. I am, for whatever reason, a bit resistant to the idea, but there's no reason for me to not like it.

This is me too. I kind of like the idea, but can’t quite wrap my mind around vegetables in oatmeal.
  • aokoye

*kitten* that noise....

How large is your bowl?
    Secondary question, have you looked at the serving size on something like say, the back of a package of Bob's Red Mill's rolled oats lately?

A serving size if how much of whatever you eat. Not what the manufacturer wants you to eat. They only tell you the serving size so that you know 100g serving is X calories. Simple.

They also use serving sizes to give the consumer an idea of how many meals/snacks they're going to get out of a given package, within a fair amount of reason. I can think of other uses as well.

Back to this bowl situation, how large are your bowls though? Really. I mean they seem rather large based on your reactions. Oatmeal made using half a cup of uncooked oatmeal plus various vegetables would definitely fill my prefered bowl, and it's not especially small.

Is this a case of you having assumed that the OP was talking about half a cup of cooked oatmeal?
  • aokoye

*kitten* that noise....

How large is your bowl?

A serving size if how much of whatever you eat. Not what the manufacturer wants you to eat. They only tell you the serving size so that you know 100g serving is X calories. Simple.

They also use serving sizes to give the consumer an idea of how many meals/snacks they're going to get out of a given package, within a fair amount of reason. I can think of other uses as well.

Back to this bowl situation, how large are your bowls though? Really. I mean they seem rather large based on your reactions. Oatmeal made using half a cup of uncooked oatmeal plus various vegetables would definitely fill my prefered bowl, and it's not especially small.

Is this a case of you having assumed that the OP was talking about half a cup of cooked oatmeal?

Exactly this. I thought OP took half cup cooked oatmeal, mixed in some vegg and called it a day.
    And regarding the size of my bowls, well.... being a volume eater, you dont want to know.

Half a cup of cooked oatmeal would work for say, a 5 year old with along with some sides. Hoping that they in fact eat all (or most) of their oatmeal...
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Definitely need to try savoury porridge. Also I eat about 1/3 of a cup of oats ( 40 g) and it does me just fine. Anything more then that ( including toppings) is just too much
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I haven't tried savory oatmeal but I might have to give it a try next week. I am, for whatever reason, a bit resistant to the idea, but there's no reason for me to not like it.

This is me too. I kind of like the idea, but can’t quite wrap my mind around vegetables in oatmeal.

I’m the same...intellectually I can’t see why it wouldn’t be good and having been brought up by a Scots mother I’m no stranger to salt rather than sugar on porridge.

I just can’t get myself to try it, though! Maybe I’ll start with trying a little marmite stirred in and a sprinkle of cheese before I go the whole veg route! Although the thought of a seasoned carrot purée just popped into my head while typing this! 🤔
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    My savory porridge is usually made with whole ground corn, otherwise known as grits or polenta. Oats are usually made with milk and fruit. But a couple days ago, after measuring the grain, I discovered the milk was curdled. So I made this instead.
    cvs60o62hdj9.jpg
    o5os5czqq55v.jpg

• nickionpor
    nickionpor Posts: 1 Member
    Thank you!!! This is a game changer for me.