For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,191 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Steamed globe artichoke with hollandaise again tonight as a starter. Will have this a couple more times before the season ends.

My artichoke season ended in the summer. I grow two kinds and divide the plants every two to four years. They did better than I expected last time I thinned, and I had TOO MANY plants. I dug a couple up and gave them to a neighbor, so next year he should have some, too.

h9onujmqlsbf.jpg

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Grilled lettuce is one of my favourite ways to eat salad.
    fon6cobcoiow.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Holy ocelot. I had maybe the best day of chanterelle hunting in YEARS today. I could be very selective which ones I harvested and left WAY more than I picked. Oh wow. My limit was easy to collect, and then I stomped around to scout some possible new places to go back next year.

62pkmwjzytpo.jpg
    2ccdc2o6gqrh.jpg
    naeqbbgs5rt0.jpg
    50dw3e3l2y0c.jpg
    qb7wflnguvc5.jpg
  • acpgee
    Options
    I use a cast iron griddle pan. I have a cheap traditional one that needs some care (dry carefully, temper with vegetable oil) and a ridiculously expensive carefree one with a coating by Le Creuset.
  • acpgee
    Options
    What should I do with leftover celeriac? It's not a vegetable I normally make but I bought a huge one to use in Dutch split pea soup. I used maybe a quarter of the thing. Roast like any other root veg?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    What should I do with leftover celeriac? It's not a vegetable I normally make but I bought a huge one to use in Dutch split pea soup. I used maybe a quarter of the thing. Roast like any other root veg?

I like it roasted.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options

I saw this celeriac recipe and I’ve been looking to make it! Puréed into a soup with chorizo and pepper!

https://www.olivemagazine.com/recipes/family/celeriac-soup-with-chorizo-oil/
  • acpgee
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Roast it, pure it, mash it, matchstick slice it into salads etc. Its good raw and cooked. If this was not such an expensive veggie around here it would be my fav go to.

Strange that it is expensive in Ontario. In the UK the huge one we got today (the size of a honey dew melon) cost 50p.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options

I just roast it (peel it, chop it up, and roast). It's delicious that way.

(It's not expensive in the US either, IME.)
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options

Roast it, pure it, mash it, matchstick slice it into salads etc. Its good raw and cooked. If this was not such an expensive veggie around here it would be my fav go to.

Strange that it is expensive in Ontario. In the UK the huge one we got today (the size of a honey dew melon) cost 50p.

I once did a version of the ‘inspiralized’ recipe for celeriac NotNoodles in a cauliflower ‘Alfredo.’
    I found it neither noodle-like nor Alfredo-ish but damn good for what it was.
    This is it: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/11542777/Spiralizer-recipe-celeriac-pasta-with-broccoli.html
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @just_Tomek -- what are you going to do with that little sack of cucumbers? You got some salt brine in mind? Perfect size for some half-sours.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Please tell me more about "self pickled" mushrooms.

I processed some of my chanterelles and put half-cup servings in vacuum bags, froze them, and sealed them. I am going to process more today. I took some to the office and shared them. A few sacks for particular people, and then a few at a time out in the area where folks leave junk food for everyone to eat. I made a nice sign

"Cantharellus formosus; formerly consedred part of Cantharellus cibarius A.K.A. Pfifferlinge, A.K.A. Pacific Golden Chanterelle. Wild harvested in the Oregon Coast Range. Lots of Vitamin C and D and potassium too."

Within four minutes, the first pile was gone along with the sign. I had to re-make the sign a couple more times. One of the folks who took some thanked me; they recognized my handwriting. I kind of want to go back out in the woods and get some more, but next time I'm on the coast, I will be looking in spruce forests for Queen boletes (Boletus regineus).
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I once did a version of the ‘inspiralized’ recipe for celeriac NotNoodles in a cauliflower ‘Alfredo.’
    I found it neither noodle-like nor Alfredo-ish but damn good for what it was.
    This is it: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/11542777/Spiralizer-recipe-celeriac-pasta-with-broccoli.html

That really looks good!

Recipe says 4 servings, though. That seems . . . imaginative. Especially in this thread's context. ;)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Please tell me more about "self pickled" mushrooms.

I processed some of my chanterelles and put half-cup servings in vacuum bags, froze them, and sealed them. I am going to process more today. I took some to the office and shared them. A few sacks for particular people, and then a few at a time out in the area where folks leave junk food for everyone to eat. I made a nice sign

"Cantharellus formosus; formerly consedred part of Cantharellus cibarius A.K.A. Pfifferlinge, A.K.A. Pacific Golden Chanterelle. Wild harvested in the Oregon Coast Range. Lots of Vitamin C and D and potassium too."

Within four minutes, the first pile was gone along with the sign. I had to re-make the sign a couple more times. One of the folks who took some thanked me; they recognized my handwriting. I kind of want to go back out in the woods and get some more, but next time I'm on the coast, I will be looking in spruce forests for Queen boletes (Boletus regineus).

Self picked, pickled :)
    I foraged for them, picked them and they pickled them hehe :)

Ok, that makes more sense. I thought maybe they had pickled themselves (i.e., lactic acid bacteria). I don't imagine many mushrooms have adequate sugar to ferment in a salt brine, so I'm guessing they are vinegar pickles.

Are they good? Duh - sure they are.

I've never tried to pickle mushrooms. I still have a bunch of chanties, and I'm wondering if they would make a good pickle. I might have to find out. Do you cook them first or pickle them raw? This is intriguing. Hmmm..... What kind of mushrooms are you pickling?

• mtaratoot
    Options
    Not sure about the base; looks like it could be mashed sweet potato. The romanesco, broccoli, and salmon look baked or roasted, or did you use FIRE?

I decided to cook up my Lobster mushrooms before they went bad. Such a pain to clean, but pretty tasty.

iensrqqs6hrj.jpg

jabxf1f94wes.jpg

Tomorrow I will cook more chanterelles. I might pickle some if I get some stronger vinegar. I might actually go collect some more on Monday, but I'm also thinking about trying some new spots that might have boletets after all the rain we're going to get between now and then. Probably a fool's errand, but I'd love to find some queens.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    It's sweetpotato season here now and I love how simple it is to put them in the oven, bake and eat them up. I like how filling they are, just with salt, pepper and a little peanut butter melted and mashed in with a fork.
    I'm getting more minimalist by the year!
  • acpgee
    Options
    Frozen seedless grapes are da bombe. Little sorbet bullets.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    It's sweetpotato season here now and I love how simple it is to put them in the oven, bake and eat them up. I like how filling they are, just with salt, pepper and a little peanut butter melted and mashed in with a fork.
    I'm getting more minimalist by the year!

I love 'em, too. I'll have to try the peanut butter option. They're also pretty excellent in black bean tacos.

Last night I ate some roasted sweet potato topped with lentils, cheese, finely chopped raw onion, tomatillo salsa, and a dollop of plain Greek yogurt. And with a side of roasted parsnips, and another of a (regular salad-sized) cucumber with herb salt.

I don't know why I like raw chopped onions - especially sweet onions - on top of so many cooked foods, but who cares? ;)