Chipped dried onion pieces.

You make your own? How?

Bowl looks sooo good![/quote]

Nah, Costco makes them for me :)
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not home made, not very weight-management-friendly, but rich and delicious: Food truck fried brussels sprouts with goat cheese and pomegranate seeds.

dew5yr290mj9.jpg

Just died a little bit of envy.
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    [

You make your own? How?

Bowl looks sooo good!

[/quote]

Thanks - looks like a Costco trip is imminent :)
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    [

You make your own? How?

Bowl looks sooo good!

[/quote]

Me and Costco is pals!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    [

You make your own? How?

Bowl looks sooo good!

Me and Costco is pals![/quote]

My relationship with Costco is fraught with issues, but I just can’t stay away for long...
    Love the good supply of spices, grass fed meat, nuts. Some produce.
    But oh, the packaging.
    That’s rough. So much plastic!!

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    [

You make your own? How?

Bowl looks sooo good!

Me and Costco is pals!

My relationship with Costco is fraught with issues, but I just can’t stay away for long...
    Love the good supply of spices, grass fed meat, nuts. Some produce.
    But oh, the packaging.
    That’s rough. So much plastic!!

[/quote]

I need to do the math and see if a Costco membership is worth it for just me. I would mostly use it on paper goods, meats, nuts, and a few other odd and ends.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd post this the other night but I was on mobile so, fail. I figured a formula for the impressive af salad bowls I've been seeing and so far it's working!

Greens
    Something bougie
    A roasted vegetable
    An exotic spice
    Fresh herbs
    A nice protein
    Choice of fat
    A twist

I did spinach and kale, shaved fennel, zucchini and yellow squash (technically grilled but hey), yoghurt and sumac, fresh dill, avocado and blood orange. This one combined the protein and dressing in the form of the yoghurt and was easy on the extras as I was light on cals for the evening. I hit up the big mixed ethnic market next town over that has way more choices than the Ralph's and Vons that I have here, so throwing some things together for the next few days should be fun!

smdam244c274.jpeg
  • suzyjmcd2
    suzyjmcd2 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd post this the other night but I was on mobile so, fail. I figured a formula for the impressive af salad bowls I've been seeing and so far it's working!

Greens
    Something bougie
    A roasted vegetable
    An exotic spice
    Fresh herbs
    A nice protein
    Choice of fat
    A twist

I did spinach and kale, shaved fennel, zucchini and yellow squash (technically grilled but hey), yoghurt and sumac, fresh dill, avocado and blood orange. This one combined the protein and dressing in the form of the yoghurt and was easy on the extras as I was light on cals for the evening. I hit up the big mixed ethnic market next town over that has way more choices than the Ralph's and Vons that I have here, so throwing some things together for the next few days should be fun!

smdam244c274.jpeg

I like your formula - especially the bougie part, LOL! But seriously, a great formula. Don't you love sumac? Wouldn't expect that lemony flavor by looking at it!
  • purplefizzy
    edited July 2019
    Options

Greens
    Something bougie
    A roasted vegetable
    An exotic spice
    Fresh herbs
    A nice protein
    Choice of fat
    A twist

smdam244c274.jpeg

As SOON as I am ungrounded from Mandolin restriction and can shave fennel, totally copying this.

Edited BC typos itch my brain.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    I'm going to an Asian market for the first time this week. I'm going out-of-town soon so I can't buy a lot, but want to try some new vegetables. The only produce I don't like are beets, celery, avocado, and coconut. Any must haves?
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I'm going to an Asian market for the first time this week. I'm going out-of-town soon so I can't buy a lot, but want to try some new vegetables. The only produce I don't like are beets, celery, avocado, and coconut. Any must haves?

Kabocha squash- in season and cheap!
    Golden kiwi (my Asian store has best ones)
    Chinese cauliflower (different density to it, roasts up really crispy)
    Something green you’ve never tried before :)
  • MelanieCN77
    Options

Chinese eggplant (long skinny ones) - the skin is much less tough and they cook down better imo.
    Daikon radish - good crunchy filler and pickles well.
    Lotus root - maybe from the freezer. I just had it for the first time this week and I like it a lot! If I had to describe it, it would be like water chestnut but firmer and dryer, and with a good bite and woody flavour.

Fruit - lychees are around right now, here anyway.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    isyyb2zdcbbb.jpg

Not so pretty - Kale/mushrooms/ Daikon (mandoline)/garlic/red onions/Bok Choy/broccoli/Shirataki noodles- usually would use cauliflower and sweet potato or some squash would be have been good too.

Salmon with spices and a bit of egg whites pan fried -

Fresh squeeze of lemon on top.

Nori sheet (I'm weird...I rip up in little pieces and make mini 'wraps' as I get through it all - topped with hot sauce too...lol!!)

All for 350 calories and I'm stuffed.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    My produce guy, Tony. Aka my crack dealer! Lolqb0a3znz791m.jpg
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! I thought I could stick to just a few things, I came out with 2 bags of vegetables! @Purplefizzy when I saw kabocha I had to get it as it's had me curious from you posting it! I may have to wait to eat it until I get back from vacation but look forward to trying it! I picked up Chinese cauliflower as I'm curious how it tastes different than American. @MelanieCN77 I went with Chinese eggplant too, I've only made eggplant once and didn't cook it enough so I decided to give it a second chance.

The stuff I bought is Taro, Opo, You-choy-sum, Chinese eggplant, pea shoots, choyote, lemongrass, and baby bok choy. I just finished a Daikon radish I had in my Imperfect produce box. I recieved my box Monday too so I'm probably going to have to eat only vegetables before I go out-of-town!
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    I made spicy garlic eggplant for lunch today with a Chinese eggplant. I cooked it maybe 15-20 minutes tops and it was good - with a regular one it still would have been tough. Good luck, hope you enjoy it more this way!
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    isyyb2zdcbbb.jpg

Not so pretty - Kale/mushrooms/ Daikon (mandoline)/garlic/red onions/Bok Choy/broccoli/Shirataki noodles- usually would use cauliflower and sweet potato or some squash would be have been good too.

Salmon with spices and a bit of egg whites pan fried -

Fresh squeeze of lemon on top.

Nori sheet (I'm weird...I rip up in little pieces and make mini 'wraps' as I get through it all - topped with hot sauce too...lol!!)

All for 350 calories and I'm stuffed.

I do the same with the nori. I’m a hand eater :)
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions! I thought I could stick to just a few things, I came out with 2 bags of vegetables! @Purplefizzy when I saw kabocha I had to get it as it's had me curious from you posting it! I may have to wait to eat it until I get back from vacation but look forward to trying it! I picked up Chinese cauliflower as I'm curious how it tastes different than American. @MelanieCN77 I went with Chinese eggplant too, I've only made eggplant once and didn't cook it enough so I decided to give it a second chance.

The stuff I bought is Taro, Opo, You-choy-sum, Chinese eggplant, pea shoots, choyote, lemongrass, and baby bok choy. I just finished a Daikon radish I had in my Imperfect produce box. I recieved my box Monday too so I'm probably going to have to eat only vegetables before I go out-of-town!

Be careful cutting the kabocha. They can be sorta brutal. If all else fails, wash it really well, and micro till soft enough to cut, then cut, scoop seeds, Cube and whatever.. :)

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    FWIW, one of my favorite ways to attack hard squash and similar stuff is with a sturdy cleaver and a rubberized dead-blow hammer. Get a little bit of a groove going, carefully, so the blade won't slip dangerously, then follow up with a big whack of the hammer on the cleaver. Very satisfying. ;)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    My first harvest of pea shoots for tonight's salad. Also put a larger quantity of broad beans in a tray of soil so hopefully will have enought to stir fry in a couple of weeks. Hopefully the peas will provide a second crop.
    gx54zfld8wrw.jpeg