For the love of Produce...

Options

Replies

• purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Florida blue berries at the farmers market today. $1.25 us a pound! Black berries I found on my hike today... FREE!

I LOVE foraged fruit.
    Mulberry season in my hood is epic. My neighbors laugh at me eating as I stand under their tree and turn purple hanged.
    They hate them, they hose them off the sidewalk cuz they don’t harvest in time.
    It’s so sad for them and so great for me.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    And I just very suddenly realized why my friends and family never offer to cook for me.
    I’m a total PIA.
    That squash novella is mortifying.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Florida blue berries at the farmers market today. $1.25 us a pound! Black berries I found on my hike today... FREE!

I LOVE foraged fruit.
    Mulberry season in my hood is epic. My neighbors laugh at me eating as I stand under their tree and turn purple hanged.
    They hate them, they hose them off the sidewalk cuz they don’t harvest in time.
    It’s so sad for them and so great for me.

Haha, same. I have a neighbor with a lychee tree. They don't eat them, fruit is falling and littering the yard and sidewalk. It was over about a week ago, i was so sad. I love them, picked up some every day while walking my dogs, so sweet and yummy.
    Thank you for the squash tips. I will precook longer next time, i think that's where i can make an improvement. Also, for the leftovers of roasted squash, i actually like it cold. The nice crust isn't there anymore, but i still find it irresistible, sweetness and spicing combo is enough, especially if i don't have time to make a fresh one.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Also, in the name of transparency, I would like to let you guys know that I nearly severed two of my digits on the mandolin. Again. I do this a few times a year, I know all of the tips, I have the no cut gloves, I know better, etc. etc. etc.
    I would take you a picture but I cannot figure out how to take a picture of both bandaged digits because there is one on each hand.
    To the point that I thought I might never stop bleeding because fingers are bleeders. Thank God I grew up on a farm and I’m good at DIY first aid.

YIKES :anguished: and {{{{{{{{ Hugs }}}}}}}}}} o:) Please keep us posted on the healing process, so sorry this happened to you dearheart...love your tough minded way though--you're a winner, period.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

WOW! I LOVE me some blueberries and I'll bet they're fabulous--YAY YOU!
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    [/quote] Seasonings on kohlrabi? I’ve only done it raw. Have some in fridge and was trying to figure out if I actually like it or not. I go in and out. [/quote]

Slightly bitter bbq flavors. I used a bit of 21 season salute and some penzeys forward plus some smoked paprika. I considered adding mustard as well, but did not feel like looking for it. I will often use a splash on vinegar at the end on this type, although I did not for this. The turnips are pretty mild and it would have masked that flavor.
  • kahlie1
    kahlie1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This thread makes my vegan heart sing!!!!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    for those that love their garlic...except getting that skin off. This really works well:

https://www.delish.com/food/a28083338/chrissy-teigen-tweeted-garlic-hack/
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    for those that love their garlic...except getting that skin off. This really works well:

I don't know if it was the knives I tried but it didn't work for me and I tried it a few times. Back to the smoosh and peel method.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

I don't know if it was the knives I tried but it didn't work for me and I tried it a few times. Back to the smoosh and peel method.

I'm also a fan of smoosh and peel. Get a good whack with the side of the knife and the peel falls right off.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    But smashed garlic tastes different from whole or even rough-chopped garlic. Really.

Allicin development from interaction of allinase and alliin is maximized when cloves are smashed or fine-minced.
  • pennyilene
    pennyilene Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Can you dig it??? I sure can.

Sure looks good! Care to share what it is and how you prepared it?
  • pennyilene
    pennyilene Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @just_Tomek

Thank you for sharing! I may give it a try.
  • purplefizzy
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    @pennyilene

Sous vide bone in pork chop at 135F for 1 hour rubbed with garlic, red pepper seasoning. Seared on my grill for a minute each side.
    The white stuff is roasted rutabaga and roasted garlic pure.
    The green stuff is grilled half romaine heart topped with quick veggie salsa (tomato, onion, pepper) tossed in yogurt and splash of balsamic vinegar.
    Simple.

You can skip the sous vide, but I highly recommend getting this machine. Its actually worth the money over an air fryer. Professional kitchens have these, none have an air fryer, and that is for a reason.

Yesssssss please.

• kellydee19
    kellydee19 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love veggies as well. My favorite to bring to summer parties is cherry tomatoes that are pan-roasted in olive oil with fresh miced garlic, capers and feta cheese. You eat it spread over rye toast
    It's amazing!
  • anonuser369
    anonuser369 Posts: 76 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    [
    Chipped dried onion pieces.

[/quote]

You make your own? How?

Bowl looks sooo good!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,584 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Not home made, not very weight-management-friendly, but rich and delicious: Food truck fried brussels sprouts with goat cheese and pomegranate seeds.

dew5yr290mj9.jpg

I've recently fallen in love with brussel sprouts, this looks so good!