WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Kim - I have no advice, but I send big hugs for you!

Viv - I can see it, but it didn't go within the spoiler. Beautiful horse!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    I am awake and having tea.. slept pretty well , but will come home after work and pack things for Toms house..I can stop here during the week to pick up clothes as it is 5 minutes from work and not to far off.
    today working and Monday.. then a few days off..
    i slept well but still feel exhausted.. that was a whirlwind 2 days
    Kim - like Machka said get her to a Dr..with my dad.. he didn't tell me but he was anemic and had colon cancer and we only found out less than a month before he passed.. so get that checked pronto...
    and please keep us in the loop.. so hard taking care of aging parents.. now all the wonderful ones I know except for Doris are gone.. will be spending much more time with her...
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies 💐💐💐.My Hubby is a great guy,most of the time.He usually thinks of others.
    I went to Busch gardens after work with my daughter last night.We had a blast.Its hallow scream so the freaks are out at night.Thank y’all for your input about ocular migraine.Thinking about when it happens,probably stress.I used to get premenstrual migraines and those were almost debilitating.But like we say,Some good comes from menopause,not much.I’m hoping to get some pictures of my fall decorations and will show y’all.

Debby In Va
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I think I'll be glad when October is over ... way, way too busy!! Every day has been full on and it continues right into the beginning of November.

Anyway, tonight, my husband and I went to the symphony ... it's something we do every so often. :) I especially wanted to go to this one because of the first piece:

Mussorgsky's Night on Bald Mountain :smiley::smiley:

Machka in Oz

So far, in the past 3 weeks ...
    • I completed and submitted a large submission at work.
    • I made some good progress on a 70+ page instruction manual for those submissions.
    • And of course ... I do work full-time.
    • I finished the last classes of my current unit in my MITS program.
    • I did a presentation as part of my last assignment.
    • I completed and handed in a 120 page assignment.
    • I finished my taxes.
    • I started my husband's taxes.
    • My husband and I attended a Wordpress meeting to get moving again on our websites.
    • My husband and I attended a meeting at the local Brain Injury Association to discuss some future projects which we may become involved with. Some may remember that we were involved with a video resource for people going through brain injury.
    • I took my husband to an open house at the helicopter place to meet and thank the people who saved his life, and then to the ICU to meet and thank the nurses who took such good care of him when he was in a coma for 3 weeks.
    • We have attended physio pilates on Mondays.
    • We prepared our house for a 6-monthly house inspection.
    • I did a lot of work on the advertising for the upcoming events for our cycling club.
    • I have started some route checking for the upcoming events I organise.
    • We attended the symphony.

I think that's it ... :neutral: In some ways it feels like there was more. :neutral:

And it still continues ...

Machka in Oz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    Options
    Did a belly Butt and Thigh DVD. I thought it would be longer. Well, this is the first time I used it. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Walk On DVD

Made some soup last night to have in the freezer when I need it. Will make chocolate chip cookies for Vince and need to marinate the pork chops, salmon and pork tenderloin. Pretty soon we won’t be able to use the grill so I’m stocking up on what we can use.

Kim – I’d definitely get your mother to a doctor. I don’t like the sound of the grease in her stool. Is she maybe taking something like glycerine to keep her stools soft? I remember after I had a hemmerhoidectomy I was told to take glycerine (or was it something else, but I think it was glycerine). I forget how much I was to take each day. I had to take it to keep my stools soft until I healed. I remember going to the bathroom and I could see oil on the top of the water. When I went back to regular eating and no longer taking the glycerine, the oil cleared up. I also remember seeing oil spots on my underwear. If you can’t get your mother to a doctor, I remember reading about how doctors have virtual office visits, Denise used it once. She might feel more comfortable not going to an office but doing this from your home.

Michele in NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

So as you might remember my mom was visiting last weekend and all went fine, well I got a call yesterday that at her house – my brother lives with her – the plumbing was in trouble, it turns out she needs a new line from the house to the city sewer, which is a long run, the house is set back from the street and the line enters on the side yard (weird!) so my brother – who is really failing from cancer- but trained as a plumber – rented a backhoe and is digging the trench then some of his plumber friends will help put in the pipe. Even with all that the job will take 5 days or so, and be $2-3,000 dollars. The biggest issue is 5 days with no water! I told her to come on back up – so I have 5 days with mom – we have not spent 5 days together since I was in college.

This is a bit vent a bit a request for advice, but it is all about older health issues (my 90 year old mom)
    My mom drove up here and called me from my driveway, after a long and stressful drive, Friday afternoon traffic is awful between her and I so what should have taken 1 hour took 2 .5 hours. But she called because she had had uncontrolled diarrhea and was so embarrassed and needed me to put the dog out and help her into the bathroom. Come to find out in helping her out that this is not the first time this has happened; it’s 1 -2 times a week and her BM’s are the consistency of tar. There ended up being feces on the driveway so I cleaned that up to and very stinky (more than I would expect) and very much like tar… when I washed what was left off the driveway it made a greasy shine like oil would. So this is not “normal” for me, but any input on what is “normal” for a 90 year old??? Thanks! I want to get her into her doctor, but that is not easy.

Kim from N. California

Kim
    that sounds like digested blood. Your mom needs to go to the ED. I think she is bleeding from somewhere higher in her GI system (stomach, duodenum, small intestine, or R side of colon. Digested blood is black, sticky, tarry and smells horrible. If left to sit in the toilet it will develop a maroon halo around it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

So as you might remember my mom was visiting last weekend and all went fine, well I got a call yesterday that at her house – my brother lives with her – the plumbing was in trouble, it turns out she needs a new line from the house to the city sewer, which is a long run, the house is set back from the street and the line enters on the side yard (weird!) so my brother – who is really failing from cancer- but trained as a plumber – rented a backhoe and is digging the trench then some of his plumber friends will help put in the pipe. Even with all that the job will take 5 days or so, and be $2-3,000 dollars. The biggest issue is 5 days with no water! I told her to come on back up – so I have 5 days with mom – we have not spent 5 days together since I was in college.

This is a bit vent a bit a request for advice, but it is all about older health issues (my 90 year old mom)
    My mom drove up here and called me from my driveway, after a long and stressful drive, Friday afternoon traffic is awful between her and I so what should have taken 1 hour took 2 .5 hours. But she called because she had had uncontrolled diarrhea and was so embarrassed and needed me to put the dog out and help her into the bathroom. Come to find out in helping her out that this is not the first time this has happened; it’s 1 -2 times a week and her BM’s are the consistency of tar. There ended up being feces on the driveway so I cleaned that up to and very stinky (more than I would expect) and very much like tar… when I washed what was left off the driveway it made a greasy shine like oil would. So this is not “normal” for me, but any input on what is “normal” for a 90 year old??? Thanks! I want to get her into her doctor, but that is not easy.

Kim from N. California

Kim
    that sounds like digested blood. Your mom needs to go to the ED. I think she is bleeding from somewhere higher in her GI system (stomach, duodenum, small intestine, or R side of colon. Digested blood is black, sticky, tarry and smells horrible. If left to sit in the toilet it will develop a maroon halo around it.

Agreed.
    https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/blood-in-stool

https://www.medicinenet.com/stool_color_changes/article.htm
    "Black tarry stools
    Black stools are a worrisome symptom because it may be due to a large amount of bleeding into the digestive system, most often from the upper GI tract including the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum. Red blood cells are broken down by digestive enzymes in the intestine and turn the stool black. These stools tend to be tar-like (sticky) and foul smelling. This can be a medical emergency; black tarry stools should not be ignored."
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Kim ~ Good advice from Karen VA

Terri ~ Enjoyed looking at your colorful photos.

Margaret ~ The Fall photos are lovely. Trees have not begun to turn in GA yet. Just got into cooler (45 *) over the last few days.

Just did the at home colon test which I guess I needed to do since I've never had a colonoscopy. Very easy but can't figure out how to fold the return envelope for the life of me. Mechanically dense! :/

Carol in GA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    2191610q208gshr57.gif
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Kim from N. California

To me that suggests internal bleeding ... or perhaps a very bad reaction to medication. Get her to a Dr.

It may be time for her go into assisted living ... sorry. :(

M in Oz

Iron supplements can cause tarry stools too; however, I would be more concerned about a possible GI bleed from diverticulosis.

Connie in KY
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Enjoying scenery on The Trail Game my town is Bregton . JRs learning how to wash his hands y use a step stool now. Keeping me busy.
    SW 195
    CW stuck at 154 (41 lbs gone so far)

Pizza 🍕 1 slice - 1 1/2 with Diet Coke 8oz
    Brunch y for Dinner soup,broccoli,stuffing,y tea
    2brubb17gruq.jpeg
    4ttnv255lcvj.jpeg
    w4g3ikiphuk7.jpeg

x1svcjb9m0cq.jpeg
    i1lfaictl4fh.png
    2bk9jb9cihhe.jpeg
    dbjble9gm9ci.jpeg
    Amber Tx
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Tracey - Hugs!!

Okie
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    I'm at work and just wiped out
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Nasty head cold has hit my family. I keep trying to sleep it off. Hope you all are avoiding this. Everyone wash your hands!