6 months = 3 stone??!!

Options
Is this doable?!?!

Replies

• Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Probably not but you can get a good way there. Maximum 2lb per week if you have a lot to lose, slowing down as you get closer to goal weight.
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Been at it three months and I've lost 29 pounds so far which is well over 3 stone. Definitely doable. I've just been doing simple calorie counting and sticking to mainly healthy food. Not much in the way of exercise yet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Possibly. It's around 1.75 pounds a week.

If 3 stone lost would take you to a healthy goal weight, it probably can't be done sensibly, sustainably, or without more health risk than I'd personally want.

Why the deadline?

Why not just set yourself up in MFP for a sensible weight loss rate for your current size, then work on sticking to that calorie level to see how manageable it is for you?

You can certainly lose an amount in 6 months that will make a major difference in health and appearance. After the first month or two, you'll start to have a decent idea of what will happen in the following 4 months, keeping in mind that you should slow the weight loss rate as you approach goal.

Best wishes!
  • Blondie3012
    Blondie3012 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Possibly. It's around 1.75 pounds a week.

If 3 stone lost would take you to a healthy goal weight, it probably can't be done sensibly, sustainably, or without more health risk than I'd personally want.

Why the deadline?

Why not just set yourself up in MFP for a sensible weight loss rate for your current size, then work on sticking to that calorie level to see how manageable it is for you?

You can certainly lose an amount in 6 months that will make a major difference in health and appearance. After the first month or two, you'll start to have a decent idea of what will happen in the following 4 months, keeping in mind that you should slow the weight loss rate as you approach goal.

Best wishes!

Thank you, going to marbella on a hen do and want to look as best I can!
  • Blondie3012
    Options
    Been at it three months and I've lost 29 pounds so far which is well over 3 stone. Definitely doable. I've just been doing simple calorie counting and sticking to mainly healthy food. Not much in the way of exercise yet.

Well done!!! Thank you I guess see how I go and achieve what I can
  • Blondie3012
    Options
    Probably not but you can get a good way there. Maximum 2lb per week if you have a lot to lose, slowing down as you get closer to goal weight.

Thank you! Here's to tomorrow!!!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Is this doable?!?!

It depends on how much you have to lose. If that 40 lbs is just the first step in your much higher goal then you could get close. But if 40 lbs is all you need to lose, then no, it's not possible. As you get closer to goal weight, your weight loss will slow down to 1 lb per week and for many of us even slower at the very end. Otherwise you would have to undereat and put your health at risk.

It's recommended to lose less than 1% of your body weight per week, and for short women, you might have to lose slower. I'd guess that a typical woman who needs to lose 40 lbs to get to the middle of the healthy weight range and isn't willing to lose muscle would take more like 10 months to a year.
  • Hotelsma
    Hotelsma Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Is this doable?!?!

Only possible if you strict and committed otherwise forget it
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

A stone is 14 lbs isn't it? So 29 lbs is 2 stone, not 3+.

I used the calculator on google to figure out what it was. Maybe it told me wrong.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options

I used the calculator on google to figure out what it was. Maybe it told me wrong.

14lb in a stone so 29lbs = 2stone 1lb lost. I know, us Brits like to complicate things with our olde worlde measurements. Sorry :)
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

Indeed, 42lbs = 3stone. Which is not to belittle your achievement of just over 2 stone. Good going!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

No, 29 pounds is just over 2 stone, not 3 stone.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

14lb in a stone so 29lbs = 2stone 1lb lost. I know, us Brits like to complicate things with our olde worlde measurements. Sorry :)

I'm not a Brit, and I don't find it complicated at all.
  • misclaire81
    misclaire81 Posts: 33 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Jesus can someone please talk in KG's so I can keep track :D

Please remember that it takes about 3,500 burn to shift half a kg, which is around 1lb. that means you'd need a calorie deficit of 500 calories every day to achieve 1lb a week. also remember that if you're exercising, you will gain muscle. But muscle is less voluminous than fat, so while you may look more toned and smaller, you may find that the scales don't necessarily reflect the effort.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Jesus can someone please talk in KG's so I can keep track :D

Please remember that it takes about 3,500 burn to shift half a kg, which is around 1lb. that means you'd need a calorie deficit of 500 calories every day to achieve 1lb a week. also remember that if you're exercising, you will gain muscle. But muscle is less voluminous than fat, so while you may look more toned and smaller, you may find that the scales don't necessarily reflect the effort.

While that's true people tend to massively overestimate the amount of muscle weight that can be gained and underestimate how hard it is. Even under optimal circumstances (which would include a calorie surplus rather than deficit) it is likely to take multiple weeks or even months to even gain 1lbs.

In a calorie deficit it's unlikely that you'll be able to gain muscle mass in a way that would significantly impact body weight. If anything lifting in a deficit is more to maintain or at least minimise muscle mass loss.