Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why ask why?

Replies

• allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited October 2019
    post deleted. Didn’t mean to post this.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    allother94 wrote: »
    I’ve been posting on here for a while and have noticed something that happens in every thread. I will start the thread by asking a simple question like “what is considered an an above average bench press?”. Without fail, the responses will mostly be “it depends on your goals.” No it doesn’t. I have no goals. All I have are questions. Once I have the answers to my questions, then I will make my goals...

I'd ask ... above average for who?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member

I was just thinking of that sketch.
  • allother94
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I find it odd that someone thinks it is okay to tell a forum of unpaid people who volunteer their time that they are helping people the wrong way.

You do? Well I disagree. And I will spend the next few hours trying to make you feel bad for thinking the way you do with flimsy arguments presented with aggressive tones.
  • allother94
    edited October 2019
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    It sounds like all you want to do is argue.

I enjoy a stimulating debate from time to time. I have heard some good points and have tried to acknowledge them. Its not as much fun when the opposing side just disagrees with everything and just tries to painting me out to be a bad person instead of crafting logical counter arguments. But it is still fun.
  • allother94
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I’ve been posting on here for a while and have noticed something that happens in every thread. I will start the thread by asking a simple question like “what is considered an an above average bench press?”. Without fail, the responses will mostly be “it depends on your goals.” No it doesn’t. I have no goals. All I have are questions. Once I have the answers to my questions, then I will make my goals...

I'd ask ... above average for who?

This would be a beautiful response. You are asking for details in order to craft a better response. You have not insulted me by implying that I am asking the wrong question. You also seem to understand that you should do your research before setting your goals, so having a goal is not a prerequisite for seeking information.
  • allother94
    Mostly because this is a fitness forum and people who answer generally have GOALS. That is why they succeeded. They had a vision, clarity and designed their diet and workouts accordingly. it is pretty rare to get someone who asks a question but has no goals....just questions.

So when a question is asked, by default people refer to the 'what is your goal?' comment because a good answer almost always is tied to it.

I’m guessing at this point people are reading the first few posts and skipping to their reply.

I’m not saying this method of asking for goals is wrong. At this point in the discussion, I’m just saying that it is possible to politely answer questions without knowing goals if the question are general in nature. Geez...
  • allother94
    bpetrosky wrote: »

What should I have done. Just let a few people incorrectly tell me I’m 100% wrong and end the thread? I posted a logical thought, There were a couple of logical counter arguments was presented, I responded with another logical counter point, etc.

I get the feeling you think I should have accepted your first counter point as truth and moved on with a greater wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately I am correct in my most recent statement because my statement has evolved as the facts have been presented. You are sticking to your initial thought in it’s full form and the argument continued.

Basically I have admitted I was only partially correct in my understanding and you hold firm that you are 100% correct in your understanding. But which is more likely to be true?
  • allother94
    edited October 2019
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Also-in my 8 years here, I have yet to see a single question asked on MFP that hasn’t been addressed by Google.

I find that hard to believe. If you want to test this theory, I will posted the last question I asked and would love to see you try to answer it with google only.

I'll play. What's the last question you asked?

Alright. Let the fun begin. I’ve doctored the question a little, but this is a typical question I would ask. For enjoyment sake, let’s just play the game using the below only.

I just finished the c25k program. This means I just completed my first 5k. As you can imagine, my time was pretty bad. If I ran a 5k twice a week, how much would you guess my time would improve in 2 months?

Challenge #1: Find something on google that would answer this specific question

Challenge #2: Explain how your answer would differ if my goal was to become a professional 5k runner vs. just someone who enjoys running 5ks

So if your goal was to become a professional 5K runner, one would assume that despite the late start you had shown some aptitude, and perhaps was a younger age, and more significantly, was doing other things towards that goal, like other running and related training on other days and getting in the best possible running shape (for most, getting both leaner and lighter). You are also focusing on nutrition and sleep, etc.

If you would have assumed this you would have been wrong and that would have negativity skewed you answer. My stance is that it would be better to ignore their goal and ask them what assumption they would like you to use or more details around their current fitness. But only if you are inclined to help.

If you just like running 5Ks, maybe you are just running 5Ks 2x a week for fun.

So yeah, that matters.

Running for fun doesn’t mean I don’t have aptitude or that I’m not in shape. Again, your assumption probably would skew your answer.

I decided to do a half ironman distance tri at age 46, and trained while basically living my life (since my goal was largely to finish and to try not to walk any of the half marathon). That affected my mindset and my goals, and I likely finished at a slower pace than I absolutely could have had I devoted more focus. But I met my goal. (I was just above average for that race for my age group and sex, so won a trophy. I would not have been above average at many other races or compared with the average person who does such races. I would have been above average for the population as a whole, obviously.)

More significantly, as it's more related to your original question, what's an above average speed for a 5K is unanswerable unless we know goals, since that shows who you are comparing yourself with:

Are you a high school runner competing in 5Ks? Are you a Div 1 college championship sprinter just starting to do longer distances? Are you a swimmer trying out running for triathlon purposes? Are you thinking of 5Ks for fun runs? Are you thinking of 5K in professional running? Are you thinking of 5K at the end of a sprint tri? Do you want to trail run or hill run or run a flat fast paved course? Are you, well, just a person and wanting to know if you are above average of the population as a whole? Are you an untrained person wanting to know if you are naturally talented? Are you a fat person wanting to claim you are otherwise fit compared to people who run? Are you wanting to know what's above average for a fit person (since you want to compare yourself to fit people)? Do you want to finish in the top half of your age group at a race (say, male, 30-34), and want to know what's above average for that race. So on, so on, etc.

Not sure if you skipped some posts, but my opinion is that asking for more detail on the question is more useful than asking what their goals are. Asking for goals leads to assumptions which leads to the risk of bad advice. Asking for more detail on the question is a far better method. Your last paragraph fits in well with my line of thinking.
  • allother94
    edited October 2019
    There is water on the earth.

Humans need water to live to age 20.

You will breathe oxygen tomorrow unless you die.
  • allother94
    edited October 2019

What should I have done. Just let a few people incorrectly tell me I’m 100% wrong and end the thread? I posted a logical thought, There were a couple of logical counter arguments was presented, I responded with another logical counter point, etc.

I get the feeling you think I should have accepted your first counter point as truth and moved on with a greater wealth of knowledge. Unfortunately I am correct in my most recent statement because my statement has evolved as the facts have been presented. You are sticking to your initial thought in it’s full form and the argument continued.

Basically I have admitted I was only partially correct in my understanding and you hold firm that you are 100% correct in your understanding. But which is more likely to be true?

You have read far more intent that anything I'm what I've written states. You've invested a lot more energy in being "right" in your opinion and shooting back against any reasonable disagreement to what you keep trying to assert.

If you want to hypothetical questions, frame then as such and that you are not relating it your current goal or activities. You'll get a lot more useful (to you) commentary that way.

BTW, if your intent is to debate, there's a lively debate forum that is appropriate for such posts instead of the "Food and Nutrition" forum which has nothing to do with your OP.

Thanks but I wasn’t looking for a debate. I was making an observation in a forum where I noticed it.

I’m only interested in having people accept a fact is a fact. If I was only interested in being right, I wouldn’t have adjusted the fact being stated.

Why should anyone put more effort in answering your questions than you are willing to expend in framing them sufficiently?

I do frame them sufficiently. Someone already gave a great answer to my example question.

Looks like you said I don’t frame my question sufficiently. I disagreed. Not sure what I read into there.
  • allother94
    edited October 2019
    You are right, I have wasted too much energy on this. I just have a pet peeve trigger when people try to argue their opinion against a fact. Especially when it is implied that I’m an uncaring person for simply stating a fact is a fact.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    If you worked your behind off so you can bench press 50 lbs, and your goal is 75 pounds because you feel like that's a lot, and then I tell you the average is 150 pounds, then maybe I've just crushed your spirit..

Wait, you would lie to me? What if I wanted to know the truth? Are you saying that all the advice I’ve been giveN so far is just a bunch of lies used to make me feel better? How can you ever know what is real?

I'm sure no one has ever lied to you in your life. And your farts smell like roses.
  • allother94
    Terytha wrote: »
    If you worked your behind off so you can bench press 50 lbs, and your goal is 75 pounds because you feel like that's a lot, and then I tell you the average is 150 pounds, then maybe I've just crushed your spirit..

Wait, you would lie to me? What if I wanted to know the truth? Are you saying that all the advice I’ve been giveN so far is just a bunch of lies used to make me feel better? How can you ever know what is real?

I'm sure no one has ever lied to you in your life. And your farts smell like roses.

Why would you think that? People have lied to me before. What do farts have to do with anything?