Snow Shoveling - Exercise or Health Risk

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The naysayers are going about this all wrong:

y6i0ou8qg4hf.png

9r4ot6uogpkm.png

When I spent a few nights at Sahale Glacier Camp, people were doing exactly this. Well, they were burying it instead of building a shelf, but still using what nature provides to keep their drinks chilled. Little bit of outdoor luxury.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I enjoy shoveling snow...but it's kind of a novelty since we only get maybe one or two storms per year blow through town that drop enough snow to warrant shoveling...even then, it's usually no more than a couple of inches.

Love where I live though...we get seasons and plenty of snow in the mountains and northern part of the state...I can hit the slopes in the morning and the links in the afternoon.

Weather is so weird. I'm at 47* N and we get snow (in town) every 2 or 3 years.

Probably elevation...we're over a mile high. We're at a higher elevation than Denver. We'd likely get a lot more snow in town if we weren't protected by the Sandia Mountains...Albuquerque is on the dry side of the mountain...the other side gets a lot more snow and weather in general. We're kind of in this little pocket where weather can be happening all around us, but it's just fine in town. It can make travel interesting sometimes.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited November 2019
    I just moved from Ohio to Tucson this year. I didn't mind the snow, I actually liked it most of the time. Hated the rain. I kind of liked to shovel once I got in decent shape. The only thing I minded was the guys that, just as soon as you got everything cleared, snowplowed two feet of ice sheet right at the end of your driveway while clearing your street.

One guy was very nice (the exception) and rolled down his window as I started clearing it that he'd come back and move that ice sheet and he did. I think most of the guys in snow trucks, though, relish the chance to screw with you once you dare think that you're done.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Considering last year at this time I was around 80 lbs heavier, snow shoveling should be a breeze and my ticker shouldn't be in so much stress this year! Now watch, I slip and fall and break my neck! Living is a risk.

Not sure if you're aware of Microspikes and Yak Trax, these are like snow chains for your shoes. They go on and off quickly, and give you a lot of purchase on slippery ice. Not terribly expense, especially compared to medical bills.

They're also useful for hiking.

58c31fe3-9ffb-48ee-b1db-e67bbfd5763b?size=1020x510

very cool! never knew they existed?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Wow a quintuple facepalm!
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member

psychod787 wrote: »
    hbkplqibmb9b.png

I so wish there was a laugh reaction! :D
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    wiigelec wrote: »
    Shoveling snow can result in fatal heart attacks, back injuries and aggravate respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis.

I have a hard time considering this nefarious activity to be "healthy."

What say you?

🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

Walking: Exercise or health risk? You can break your ankle, destroy your knees, trip and break your nose, develop asthma, stroke out or drop dead of heart attack from increased blood pressure.

ALL exercise comes with inherent risk, and many forms such as basic home/property upkeep are inevitable. Attempting to rush these activities or not listening to your body’s cues are what create the elevated risk. Neglecting them for fear of risk simply reduces your body’s tolerances.

Yep, be fit for the task, If you can't or don't want to work up to it, hire out.

Pretty simple
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Last year my life and body felt so different. Shoveling, along with carrying children around all the time, ruined my shoulder. I was in pain for 5 months after. Now I'm retired(daycare provider), my shoulder has healed, I am eating better and exercising, in other words, taking care of ME now. I cannot wait to add shoveling to my list of daily activities!! Bring it on!! I'm 66 and feel strong, plus I know I can take my time shoveling this year and not watching 6 little children while trying to clear walks and the driveway for parents to arrive.
    But as far as the health factor, yes, it can be deadly. I've seen perfectly healthy people drop dead while shoveling due to unknown risk factors. We've all heard stories of high school athletes dying on a field. A phys. ed. teacher from my high school days, big jogger, died while jogging.
    Unfortunately, it does happen. The best we can do is stay diligent and in tune with our bodies. PLUS help out your neighbor if they're older and have no one else to do it. Venting here but most of my neighbors have plows or Rangers with plows and do their own driveways. I'd go help my 87 yo neighbor who'd be out there struggling with lifting a shovel of snow and nobody else offered to lift a finger. Argh, used to burn my biscuits!! But then, I remember when another elderly neighbor was out shoveling his driveway(they're gone now :() and I couldn't get out to help at the time. The fire truck had just left my house doing a home daycare inspection, they all got out and pitched in to help my neighbor. Made my heart sing, and so proud of the work these guys do. :)

Anyways, just yacking this a.m. Time to get busy now. :)
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    hbkplqibmb9b.png

Look at all that melted snow!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Shoveling snow can result in fatal heart attacks, back injuries and aggravate respiratory conditions such as asthma and bronchitis.

What say you?

I have never heard anyone say this is a "healthy" task. Necessary if you want to leave your house, maybe, but never healthy. As with any new activity you should speak with your physician to make sure YOU are healthy enough to perform.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    cathipa wrote: »

What say you?

I have never heard anyone say this is a "healthy" task. Necessary if you want to leave your house, maybe, but never healthy. As with any new activity you should speak with your physician to make sure YOU are healthy enough to perform.

That's going to get very expensive really quick. Am I fit enough to tie my shoes?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    cathipa wrote: »

What say you?

It's just a task. It involves physical activity, and depending on circumstances, that can be a very vigorous, lengthy activity. As with any other physical activity, if a person's health, conditioning, skills and strength are up to the task, it's a "healthy" task.

Now you've heard someone say that, or at least seen someone type that. I think it's a pretty decent workout, but it doesn't always arrive on a convenient schedule . . . and I say that as an over-60 female with probably 1500+ square feet of driveway to shovel (depending on how much guest parking space I want, could be lots more) who lives in a Great Lakes state. We get snow.

People who are not regularly active to the extent of their shoveling needs should probably hire somebody, or get a snowblower, or one of the other solutions above. I agree with checking with one's doctor, if not sure. But let's not over-dramatize. I don't think it's dramatically less healthy than picking rocks (if you know what that is), digging and wheel-barrowing large amounts of soil, and various other stuff that might come up around the home or farm on a periodic basis.

:lol:
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    I remember one of the biggest recent arguments my wife and I got into was over a snow storm last winter and weight of the snow I removed from the driveway.

I remember it was about a 12" snowfall and did some back of the envelope calculations of the area in front of the three car garage. I knew our Mercury Grand Marquis was just under 18' long and I could probably park 2 of them nose to tail on drive from the house to the street. Three cars wide with one 8' and one 16' door put the width as there was space between the doors at 25' wide was a reasonable estimate. So on the order of 36'x25'.

So 1000 square feet was a reasonable estimate once you added the sidewalk to the front door and the sidewalk in front of the house. Since it was about a foot deep, 1000 cubic feet of snow to move. As snow is about 20# a cubic foot, therefore, about 10 tons of snow was moved by hand.

She was like there is no way you moved 10 tons of snow.

Showed her my back of the envelope calculations and that's when the fight broke out :)

Here is a photo, not of last year, but a few years ago, after the job.

Of course, I'm in shorts, and a t-shirt, standing outside admiring my effort.

7iptglfq8svw.jpg

It does help give some idea of the area needed to be cleared.
  • bangurdead04
    bangurdead04 Posts: 1 Member
    It all depends on how big you are and your fitness level. I use to know someone in middle school their father died christmas eve. He took a heart attack while he was shoveling. He was a bigger dude. If you are big and need to shovel then best bet is to take breaks. I personally love shovelling. I live in Canada and will throw on my winter hunting gear throw my headset and and go out and shovel the patio. For older/ bigger people I can see it being a health hazard