Stop trying to kill other MFPers - the salt issue

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    "When you "update" an item, it doesn't change it for me, only you." I thought that updating entries change it for all subsequent users who select that item. I agree it won't change it if it's an entry in your Recent list and you always / only ever select entries from there but if you have to re-select for any reason, surely you'd get the updated entry?

"I thought that was the meaning of the green Verified badge next to certain foods?" The green ticks just mean an entry has been verified by sufficient people. When you look at the nutritional value of an entry it asks if it's correct. If enough people say 'Yes', it gets a green tick.The downside is that if/when the manufacturer changes the product, even if you say it's not correct, you can't change it. This is one reason why you have multiple entries for the same food product.

To the OP, I'm in the UK and regularly change the sodium values because it's obvious people have entered the salt figure that's shown on our labels. Clearly they don't register that their food label says g for grams and the MFP entry asks for mg. It is mildly irritating but, as I personally don't track sodium, I only change the entry if there's another value that I want to update. I wouldn't edit something just for the sodium value.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Using foods from the database means you'll get items entered by members from all over the world, labeling isn't the same everywhere AND some people won't enter many of the nutrients.
    In technical parlance known as GIGO or garbage in garbage out.

The solution is a curated database but at this stage, there is zero chance of that being adopted here. There are other similar online programs that do limit access or in other ways manage the accuracy of the data. Some MFP members participate in the social aspect of the program but maintain their food diary elsewhere. I am among them.

Absolutely.

And MFP would lose a lot less of its members if it would differentiate between the Admin-entered items and all the other user-entered ones. Either a separate list, or bolding the text or making it a different color in the list...something.

It's not rocket surgery, but we've been saying this for years.

I thought that was the meaning of the green Verified badge next to certain foods?

Unfortunately, the "verified" green check marks in the MFP database are used for both user-created entries with sufficient upvotes and admin-created entries that MFP pulled from the USDA database (no upvotes needed). To find admin entries for whole foods, I get the syntax from the USDA database and paste that into MFP.

The USDA just changed the platform for their database and it is unfortunately a little more difficult to use. For example, in order to find the entry I wanted for chicken I had to include a bunch of keywords. "chicken, breast, cooked, roasted" gave me https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/?query=chicken, breast, cooked and from that you can see the syntax for the MFP entry to use is "Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roasted"

Note: any MFP entry that includes "USDA" was user entered.

For packaged foods, I verify the label against what I find in MFP. (Alas, you cannot just scan with your phone and assume what you get is correct.)
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    SLL1803 wrote: »
    So you were over dramatic in order to get a reaction. That's called trolling

So every headline for the past 20 years is trolling? If you have taken offence, oh well. Have a great day!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    So that wasn't chocolate milk? Damn!
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited November 2019
    The danger with salt is too little, not too much.
  • wilson10102018
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I love salt

Do you have Maldon Flakes? They are the best.

https://www.amazon.com/Maldon-Sea-Salt-Flakes-ounce/dp/B00017028M
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I love salt

Delicious!
    I save it to sprinkle on finishing favorite dishes, and my homemade caramels for Christmas.
  • wilson10102018
    I love salt

Delicious!
    I save it to sprinkle on finishing favorite dishes, and my homemade caramels for Christmas.

Try flakes on watermelon, tomato slices, salmon sauteed in butter and finished with the Maldon Flakes. Or just flakes on the tip of the finger. Ignorant alarmism about sodium notwithstanding.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,893 Member
    I love salt

I do! Heard about them from someone from America's Test Kitchen I believe. I also have pink salt, grey salt, black salt, and red salt. Oh, and white salt.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Spilling the salt is very bad luck!

oeurf30mx5tq.jpg
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    The danger with salt is too little, not too much.

No, that isn't true for everyone. People with cardiac conditions do have to avoid the danger of too much salt.

• wilson10102018
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I love salt

I do! Heard about them from someone from America's Test Kitchen I believe. I also have pink salt, grey salt, black salt, and red salt. Oh, and white salt.

Be sure to get some powdered salt aka popcorn salt. Great for dusting baked potatoes and sticking to popcorn that has been popped without oil.