Having a hard time finding the calorie balance

I started out in Feb at 210 and lost 30 pounds over 7 months to end up at 180 in early Sept. I've fluctuated between 178 and 180 for two months now, which is great. My doctor said I should stop losing and it wouldn't kill me to gain a few pounds back. I'm not modifying my diet at all (not much), just eating less. Mainly eating less sugar and fat and trying to eat more healthy protein like lean meat and fish.

When I'm looking for extra calories at the end of the day to keep my count up, it's really hard to find stuff that isn't fatty and/or sugary and/or loaded with carbs. Like Ice Cream or Cereal or whatever. That's the stuff that got me to gain 30 pounds in the first place! Maybe I'm good with those choices, just not eat as much as I did before.

Thoughts?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Enjoy the ice cream, cereal or whatever you like, I know I would if I had the spare calories :)
  • GravyDumpster
    GravyDumpster Posts: 7 Member
    Enjoy the ice cream, cereal or whatever you like, I know I would if I had the spare calories :)

It's one advantage of being tall. I get a 2400 calorie allowance. A lot of short women get waaaay less than that. I would die! My weight loss amount was 1900 and that was a little hard to do.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited November 2019
    Think about all the foods you like and try out a few as options. Some of the things I enjoy but still provide some useful nutrients are:

Greek yogurt + blueberries
    Greek yogurt + half serving of crunchy cereal or granola
    Apple + peanut butter
    Pear + hummus
    Carrots, celery, etc + hummus
    Small sweet potato + Greek yogurt or hummus
    (Yeah, I love hummus)
    Smoothies made with lots of fruit and/or veggies - add enough frozen food/ice and they can be eaten with a spoon

I also eat small candy bars and other sweets with a goal to keep them at 100 calories or less (except for once a month when I eat a big dessert).

Caveat, I'm petite. Right now, to lose .5 lb/week, I can eat around 1350 calories inclusive of activity/exercise that's approximately 10,000 steps daily. Maintenance for me will only be 1500-1600 calories total.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Nuts
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    nuts, peanut butter, granola, cottage cheese and yogurt
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Not to derail thread but there are obviously those who can moderate and those who can't.. like @SummerSkier says, it's probably a personality thing. But it's a whole other topic.
  • ChiCheryl
    ChiCheryl Posts: 1 Member
    Try roasting some veggies with olive oil drizzled on. My faves are cauliflower carrots Brussel sprouts. They’re bulky so they’re low calorie, nutrient dense and the olive oil is great for you. Fills me up every time! Add on some grated Parmesan right before you pull them out of the oven to add a few more calories. Whatever you do stay away from cereals and anything with grains. That’s like putting sugar directly into your bloodstream! Will only set up your craving for more of the same. Fat is good for you. Don’t shy away from the good oils. I have easily lost weight on a 50% fat diet.
  • Isn’t eating any type of carb “putting sugar into yr bloodstream” they all break down into sugar in the end whether broccoli or table sugar
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Isn’t eating any type of carb “putting sugar into yr bloodstream” they all break down into sugar in the end whether broccoli or table sugar

PP mentioned carrots . . . 4.7g sugar per 100g of the innocent-looking orange things. Hidden sugars, by golly - not even on the ingredients list! And 9.6g carbs, which is over 93% of carrot calories from carbs. Tsk, tsk!

;) <== Note emoticon.

Yes when my horse foundered several years ago he was put on a low sugar/starch diet. I was totally surprised when the vet said no carrots and that if anything at all apples would be better. WOW. But still there remains the theory (ok kidding emoticon on) that carrots and celery burn more calories than they have because they are harder to digest. {end kidding emoticon off)
  • ighecla
    ighecla Posts: 2 Member
    My go to is frozen yogurt/skyr bars or fudgesicles. Almonds are also good. Low-fat cheese and low cal crackers