Anyone cutting after a bulk?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    Official bulk season for me. I'll be back, whining about cutting, in the spring. :laugh:
  • Official bulk season for me. I'll be back, whining about cutting, in the spring. :laugh:

Yessss. I’m joining you soon
  • sardelsa wrote: »
    It's officially time to get to business. 8 weeks pp... no more excuses I can't believe how much harder it is this time around, I was looking back at my stats post baby #2 and I was 10lbs lighter than I am now and way more fit. Oh well :( . Trying to get into the gym (which is a mess ATM since it was never properly organized since moving) not to mention I am up all night and starving. Trying to get enough calories, keep hydrated, workout, take care of the kids and house, get more than 4h of broken up sleep would be nice but better than nothing.

Goals right now.. lose 10-12lbs by April/May 2020, maintain/recomp for the summer then run bulk #4 starting August/Sept. Get at least 3 lifting workouts in per week as well as adequate protein. It's tough but I think writing it down helps.

Good luck everyone!

Sounds like a plan. I didn’t do any exercise at all for 6 years post partum. Plus I only have one child. Hats off to you for getting back on it.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It's officially time to get to business. 8 weeks pp... no more excuses I can't believe how much harder it is this time around, I was looking back at my stats post baby #2 and I was 10lbs lighter than I am now and way more fit. Oh well :( . Trying to get into the gym (which is a mess ATM since it was never properly organized since moving) not to mention I am up all night and starving. Trying to get enough calories, keep hydrated, workout, take care of the kids and house, get more than 4h of broken up sleep would be nice but better than nothing.

Goals right now.. lose 10-12lbs by April/May 2020, maintain/recomp for the summer then run bulk #4 starting August/Sept. Get at least 3 lifting workouts in per week as well as adequate protein. It's tough but I think writing it down helps.

Good luck everyone!

Good luck. I know how hard it is with that many kids needing attention and sleep deprivation ever present. Good luck.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

Good luck everyone!

Sounds like a plan. I didn’t do any exercise at all for 6 years post partum. Plus I only have one child. Hats off to you for getting back on it.

Mine was more like 9 years, I think!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Official bulk season for me. I'll be back, whining about cutting, in the spring. :laugh:

Yessss. I’m joining you soon

Got back from another NorCal work trip yesterday to be greeted with 179 on the scale this morning... tempted to just steer into the skid and start bulking since it all-of-the-sudden decided to feel like winter here in Cincinnati. I still have 2-3 more instances of work travel over the next month or so but then I should be set until the spring.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Haven't made much weight progress. About 172-173 currently but am seeing improvements in composition. I have allowed myself to go over a bunch of times which is why i haven't seen much progress. Still keto, with the exception of a few days. Am dealing with a few injuries currently which i am taking it easy at the gym because of it.

Making some really good keto foods those.

gf1t3sk8sx5s.jpg

398u55j2upzr.jpg
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Woohoo scale finally started moving in the right direction. Also started a new lifting program (from Bret Contreras' Glute Lab book), 3-4x per week full body (you know the ushe... haha) so the scale will probably stall all over again :s oh well.

@psuLemon those treats look good, what are they?
  • This probably belongs in a different thread but, for those of you who have bulked before, do you log and if so how precise or loosely do you log?
    I’m a sloppy logger and I have managed to lose so far tho that has slowed a little over past few weeks cos of a holiday and a few meals out.

My plan when I start bulking is to continue to log kinda sloppily and just increase calories a couple hundred a week until I start gaining. I do weigh myself every morning and use happy scale. Does this sound like an ok plan?

I’m gonna shoot for about one to two pounds a month gain.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    @cupcakesandproteinshakes

I've bulked 3x before. My very first bulk I did track pretty accurately (I mean, accurately for me).. the next two bulks I didn't track anything but weighed myself using a weight trend app to make sure my gains were appropriate and modified my intake as necessary. This doesn't work for everyone, but it worked well for me. Give it a try and see how it goes!
  • sardelsa wrote: »

I've bulked 3x before. My very first bulk I did track pretty accurately (I mean, accurately for me).. the next two bulks I didn't track anything but weighed myself using a weight trend app to make sure my gains were appropriate and modified my intake as necessary. This doesn't work for everyone, but it worked well for me. Give it a try and see how it goes!
    Thanks for this. Yes I certainly will use the trending app.

I think I will be ok but my concern is gaining too quickly as I am someone who doesn’t have a problem wating too much... which is why I ended up on mfp in the first place
  • psuLemon
    Woohoo scale finally started moving in the right direction. Also started a new lifting program (from Bret Contreras' Glute Lab book), 3-4x per week full body (you know the ushe... haha) so the scale will probably stall all over again :s oh well.

@psuLemon those treats look good, what are they?

Top one is keto pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting.

Bottom is a cake pop keto milkshake.

I eat both quite frequently.
  • psuLemon

Thanks for this. Yes I certainly will use the trending app.

I think I will be ok but my concern is gaining too quickly as I am someone who doesn’t have a problem wating too much... which is why I ended up on mfp in the first place

As long as your are applying the same methodology but add some more calories there shouldn't be a reason to be concerned. Overall, you are just adding another meal or a few more snacks
  • Bumping this post to remind me that I do actually need to lose a bit more fat if I’m ever gonna be lean enough to bulk.

Just got back from an all inclusive free for all in turkey. Delicious food.
    4 pounds up the day after I got back. 140 pounds. This mornings weigh in was a new low of 135.8. Yey for unintentional diet breaks.

Aiming for 130 by the end of November. This might be wildly optimistic.

Think I’m back on track after the holiday. 134.2 today is a new low. I plan to try and see 132 in the scale and then start bulking slowly for as long as I can. Aiming to gain around 10-14 pounds. Bye bye abs.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    This thread is giving me life right now. I just hit one year of consistent logging, started out with straight weight loss doing cardio only, then hit maintenance and did a slow recomp with strength training for the last six months.

Last week I started a cut, about 300 kcal/day. I'm 5'6" and 159 lbs, hoping to get below 150 lbs by March/April 2020 and will reevaluate from there. My scale says I'm 27% BF- not sure how accurate it is as I've lost 2" in my hips and waist (and another pants size) in the last three months and that number hasn't budged. I see lines on the sides of my abs now which is great, but I carry most fat in my hips, butt, and legs. I have so much leg muscle- I want to be able to see it!

I always have difficulty with hunger and disrupted sleep during the first few weeks of calorie restriction. I can't wait for that to pass.

Does anyone here also run? I have never successfully combined running and weight training, but I'm trying again for the cardio benefits and calorie burn. I lift 3 x week, upper/lower split with various cardio 4-5 x week (spinning, elliptical, lateral) and physical-therapy-type floor work for my back daily. I'm going to start by replacing one cardio session a week with running and see how it goes.
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2019
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Haven't made much weight progress. About 172-173 currently but am seeing improvements in composition. I have allowed myself to go over a bunch of times which is why i haven't seen much progress. Still keto, with the exception of a few days. Am dealing with a few injuries currently which i am taking it easy at the gym because of it.

Making some really good keto foods those.

I believe my plateau has been broken. I have been sitting at low 171 for a few days now. Ironically, i had a few days of pretty high calories and the only other change has been delaying breakfast. Suspect i have another 7-10 lbs to go before i can bulk.

Working with a PT on fixing my shoulder but its making progress. Almost all my soreness is gone. It will be nice to do push moves again.
  • steveko89

Does anyone here also run? I have never successfully combined running and weight training, but I'm trying again for the cardio benefits and calorie burn. I lift 3 x week, upper/lower split with various cardio 4-5 x week (spinning, elliptical, lateral) and physical-therapy-type floor work for my back daily. I'm going to start by replacing one cardio session a week with running and see how it goes.

I "run" in that I keep up with cardio enough to run a few 5-10ks a year; the next will be for Thanksgiving so I need to get back in the habit. My schedule has been irregular with work travel so my routine has suffered; rarely getting up early enough to fit in my full lifting session before work each morning, let alone spend some time on the dreadmill or rowing machine.
  • steveko89
    On the scale front, I got back down into the 176s the last two days after a few weeks of caloric excursions and two work trips had me 178+. Consistently hanging out around 13.5% body fat per the skulpt. Ideally, I'd get back down to 165 to start a bulk, which should be in the 10% ballpark. In my head I know it's feasible but I've not seen the 160s since 2015.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Well I made it down from 187ish to 169lbs a few months ago, but... 2 kids bdays, wife's bday, Halloween, various family functions... I'm up to 174 today...

However I've been able to keep my waist circ the same, my abdomen and suprailiac pinches the same as well... All while adding about a 1/2" to my shoulder circ...

So as long as I can maintain or improve those measurements, I'm going to do my best, not to stress... And enjoy the holiday season! ✌🏼