Thanksgiving: What are you bringing to the table?

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I over-volunteer lol. It's just me (plus my husband and 3 kids) and my parents and sister this year for Thanksgiving. I volunteered me and my husband for: Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, stuffing, jello pretzel dessert thing, apple pie (my husband's favorite) and I'll probably bring stuff to make whipped cream because homemade is so much better than coolwhip! I LOVE THANKSGIVING! Best holiday ever.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Cranberry Sauce (I make it with cinnamon, nutmeg, and Grand Marnier)
    Bread or dinner rolls (not sure what recipe yet)
    A veggie side dish or dessert if my SIL asks for something else

I will also be providing part of the entertainment. My last pumpkins will be going for the annual pumpkin bowling tournament. Should be interesting this year because they have frozen and thawed a couple of times and are really mushy. We bowl until all pumpkins are smashed which won't take long, unlike other years.

My brother and SIL host the dinner every year (I do Christmas and my niece does Easter). They make the turkey, dressing, and corn pudding. The rest of us fill in with whatever other dishes are needed. My nephew usually makes a pie and the potatoes. My niece and her husband usually do a veggie side and appetizers (she is a marketing director for the cheese division of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board so she always has great cheese to bring).
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Vune wrote: »
    I won my ex's old friends in the break-up, and they're ordering for the second year in a row (we went waaaaay overboard when we would cook). I'll be making avalanche bark (like rice krispie treats with white chocolate and peanutbutter) and schmancy rice krispie treats for their son with celiac. And because I'm not a big fan of pie. Might do a pumpkin pudding, too, since it's stupidly easy.

avalanche bark sounds amazing and i just downloaded the recipe!!!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Not much since I have to work the Dark Thursday holiday sale.

I went to Aldis & bought a huge container of delicious looking stuffing to eat & some pulled pork (I'm not much of a turkey fan) on my lunch. Maybe squeeze in a pint of Talenti's Pumpkin Pie Gelato if I can find it this year.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I will also be providing part of the entertainment. My last pumpkins will be going for the annual pumpkin bowling tournament. Should be interesting this year because they have frozen and thawed a couple of times and are really mushy. We bowl until all pumpkins are smashed which won't take long, unlike other years.

My brother and SIL host the dinner every year (I do Christmas and my niece does Easter). They make the turkey, dressing, and corn pudding. The rest of us fill in with whatever other dishes are needed. My nephew usually makes a pie and the potatoes. My niece and her husband usually do a veggie side and appetizers (she is a marketing director for the cheese division of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board so she always has great cheese to bring).

Um, is there a recipe for that, or if not, general approximate proportions? (Sounds yum!)
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I usually bring mashed potatoes but thought I would make scalloped potatoes this year. Also, will bring canned black olives. I know the grandchildren really like macaroni and cheese, so maybe will do that also. I definitely will bring a low calorie vegetable dish, too.

Thanksgiving will be at my daughter's house. My son-in-law is a chef. He always brines a turkey and does his magic with other dishes. We sure have a feast at their house.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Um, is there a recipe for that, or if not, general approximate proportions? (Sounds yum!)

Ask and ye shall receive:

Tipsy Cranberry Sauce

1 bag of cranberries (12 ounces)
    3 Tbl sugar (more or less to taste, Honey can be used too)
    2 to 3 tablespoons Cointreau or Grand Marnier
    2 Tbl water
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 tablespoon grated fresh orange rind. Optional. (I omit the rind and use the upper amount of Grand Marnier)

On the stove in a non aluminum pan mix cranberries, sugar, and water. Cook it down for about 20 minutes on medium heat until most of the berries have popped and it's the consistency of thick jam. Adjust sugar to taste. Add spices and liqueur and cool. This can be done in the microwave instead. Cook on high for 5 minutes, then in 1-2 minute increments until the right consistency. Add remaining ingredients and cool.

Can be refrigerated for a couple of weeks in an airtight container, frozen, or canned in a water bath for 10 minutes.

Each bag makes about 2 cups. I canned 9 half pints using 4 bags of cranberries (Aldi has them for 99¢ a bag right now).

I use pretty much the same recipe except I use the juice from the orange I zested in place of water, and a smidge of ground cloves.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    My nephew is taking over the turkey/stuffing this year, so I volunteered to make my sweet potato casserole. I also voluntold my kid he is handling the yeast rolls and green beans. I'll probably also make apple cider syrup to go over vanilla ice cream for dessert.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My family has all the main savory dishes covered. I'll probably just bring a dessert of some sort. Peanut Butter Fudge or Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies probably.
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I might make sweet potato casserole, the last one I made was a huge hit... Also, these pumpkin cookies with cream cheese frosting that are awesome. Not necessarily the healthiest things but they are super yummy!
  • BrknandBeautiful
    Options
    Thanksgiving will be at my house! I’m making a Turkey and sausage gumbo. Traditions here in the south 🥰🦃
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I was just put on dessert duty... any suggestions??
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options

Maybe look at the miriad of evil pics you post? :p
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

haha! there's a difference between POSTING about it and actually MAKING it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

update: got my recipe... >:)

What are those? Look yummy!
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,578 Member
    Options

yrilmf660a0q.png

Yum, you're invited to my brother's house!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

yrilmf660a0q.png

Looks so good. I volunteer to taste test!

In fact, I volunteer to taste test everything. :)