Which lifting program is the best for you?

Options

Replies

• KDBisme
    KDBisme Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    LOVE Les Mills Body Pump. Kicks my *kitten* every. Single. Day.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    KDBisme wrote: »
    LOVE Les Mills Body Pump. Kicks my *kitten* every. Single. Day.

I used to take that and it was fun, but after you've taken it for a couple of months you won't be gaining much, if any, strength or muscle mass from the class. It's too fast paced and not set up as a progressive lifting program. It's more of a cardio-with-weights class. A good cardio with weights class, but not a strength/hypertrophy class.
  • Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    As a beginner who hasn’t done weights for a while thought I would start again from scratch and had used an old routine last week but decided to give M&S full body dumbbell routine a go instead. Wow the difference is incredible can feel that so many more places were worked on. Looking forward to next set Sunday now!
  • happylavender_
    happylavender_ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Add to read later.
  • mindstateofamonster
    Options
    Greatest thread I've ever come across.
  • Chadashley
    Chadashley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So I have done, and started again, the strong life 5x5 program. I have a bad back and the squats have started hurting, plus I tweaked my back a few days ago. Is it ok to substitute the squats with a leg press like on a sled???
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,990 Member
    Options
    Leg press is ok, but personally I think a better substitute is the hack squat machine. It simulates the same movement for the legs, but relieves pressure on the back.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    This is a good thread....but some of the programs are probably not a good idea for almost anyone on here, lol. German volume training is a great example of what NOT to do to yourself haha. For any level, its quite unnecessary.

My picks, and this is only one guys opinion, would be anything from GZCL, Greg Nuckols and co, Layne Norton, The Bridge, Candito, Sheiko or Kaizen. 531 also good.

Which one you pick to use depends entirely on where you are at, what you have been doing for that previous couple months, and what you want to acheive. To pick random, and to chop and change, will not serve you well at all.
  • happysquatter
    happysquatter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    mideon_696 wrote: »
    This is a good thread....but some of the programs are probably not a good idea for almost anyone on here, lol. German volume training is a great example of what NOT to do to yourself haha. For any level, its quite unnecessary.

My picks, and this is only one guys opinion, would be anything from GZCL, Greg Nuckols and co, Layne Norton, The Bridge, Candito, Sheiko or Kaizen. 531 also good.

Which one you pick to use depends entirely on where you are at, what you have been doing for that previous couple months, and what you want to acheive. To pick random, and to chop and change, will not serve you well at all.

Agreed. On the high volume side, something that might be interesting for intermediates is Smolov Jr.
  • azblooms
    azblooms Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Looking for a program..thank you @psuLemon for the comprehensive list.
  • planj
    planj Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    For Later
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Some bodyweight programs possibly worth adding
    /r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine - https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine
    /r/bodyweightfitness minimalist routine - https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/minroutine
    startbodyweight basic routine - http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    After not lifting for almost a year, I started Stephanie Buttermore's full body beginner program yesterday and my god are my legs & glutes weak af. My arms & back are pretty strong because I pole dance, and pole develops strong arms and backs because you are constantly lifting yourself onto the pole. I was there forever because those rest breaks are real and definitely needed. But I did it and I really enjoyed myself.

I randomly came across Stephanie because of her recap of her "all-in" year, and I'm really happy I did because she's wicked smart and it shows in her program. Luckily, I came across her when all of her programs were on sale, so I grabbed the beginner and intermediate programs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    @jdhcm2006 that is awesome. Pole dancing is so hard I tried it once and I was way too weak for it. I would love to get back into it one day :)

I think I might try one of her programs when I bulk this summer/fall. I am hoping it goes on sale again at some point before then because I missed it last time. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    Thank you @sardelsa! Pole is hard, but it is a lot of fun. It's my one true love. That's why I had to stop lifting. I didn't have enough money to pole and lift, so lifting went. But now, I've tweaked some things and I can afford both again.

I hope she does another sale as well because I'd like to get her Optimization course, but I'm nowhere near ready for that so I passed on it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    After not lifting for almost a year, I started Stephanie Buttermore's full body beginner program yesterday and my god are my legs & glutes weak af. My arms & back are pretty strong because I pole dance, and pole develops strong arms and backs because you are constantly lifting yourself onto the pole. I was there forever because those rest breaks are real and definitely needed. But I did it and I really enjoyed myself.

I randomly came across Stephanie because of her recap of her "all-in" year, and I'm really happy I did because she's wicked smart and it shows in her program. Luckily, I came across her when all of her programs were on sale, so I grabbed the beginner and intermediate programs.

Nice. Would be great to have feedback once you get thru the workout.
  • jdhcm2006
    edited January 2020
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »

Nice. Would be great to have feedback once you get thru the workout.

Will do. @sardelsa asked for this but I got distracted by pole 😂.

Full disclosure: I’ve never fully followed a program. Just did what a trainer told me to do or would go and do certain moves at the gym with no real direction. So what she includes could be typical.

She breaks down terminology. Includes links to her YouTube page to see her doing the movement (con: she doesn’t explain it, just shows her doing it - if I had no previous knowledge, I’d need more direction. Pro: it reminds me what the move is and my previous knowledge can fill in the blanks). She talks a tiny bit about nutrition but makes it clear that she isn’t a RD. She basically says to get enough protein and to eat at a slight surplus if you can, but she’s does say that folks trying to lose/eat at a deficit can still see gains bc they’re new to lifting. Has a chart of anatomy and breaks down where the muscles are connected and info life that.

It’s an 8 week program that is broken into 2 4-week blocks. The beginner offers 3 programs, a 3 day (full body), 4 day (upper/lower), and 5 day option (body part split). She incorporates doing 1-3 sets of a warm up lifts prior to doing the real lift (depending on the lift, for example back squats were 3 sets of warm up and 3 sets of real but hip thrust were 1 set of warm up and 3 sets of actual), which for a noob was nice to see warm up lifts written down as something you’re meant to do.

She even tells you what the RPE should be and the duration in which you should rest, as well as which muscles you’re working and the joint actions involved, which I find nice because it kind of gives an idea of what that move is focusing on and where you should be feeling it. I find the RPE to be confusing because I don’t understand why you shouldn’t work to fatigue but I’m sure as I make my way along I’ll figure it out through further research.

Each is supposed to be started with a warm up that includes light cardio for 10-20 minutes, and different movements to warm up the body (wall sits, leg swings, shrugs, etc.) I did find that my body was sufficiently warm prior to starting the workout.

It’s very in-depth which is nice and a but overwhelming at first.

I will try to include photos of her table of contents, but I won’t include the entire program. I am on my phone so it might not work.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nice. You can check out Jeff Nippard as well. Hr has a technique Tuesday series. Bret Contreras is awesome as well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Great! Thanks @jdhcm2006 for all that info :)
  • jdhcm2006
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Nice. You can check out Jeff Nippard as well. Hr has a technique Tuesday series. Bret Contreras is awesome as well.

Thank you! I am aware of Jeff b/c he is dating Stephanie. I watched his video on hip thrusts b/c I needed a quick refresher and it was really well produced and explained. I definitely see why you would recommend him. The video links that she has in her pdf are about 30 seconds, so they're good resources, but not enough for a complete noob.

I was wondering if there was something wrong with me b/c I couldn't get into Strong Curves, which I am sure is unheard of b/c he's the father of hip thrusts. I tried to follow it a few times but I would never complete the first workout. Idk if mentally I just wasn't ready. Bret by himself talking about it, I enjoy but his program just didn't connect with me mentally which I am a little sad about.