Thanksgiving: What are you bringing to the table?

Options

Replies

• kaika_dragon
    kaika_dragon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I volunteered for pumpkin pie, because I like making it, and I can't eat dairy - so it makes sense to just make it myself.
    I also volunteered for mashed potatoes, for the same reasons as the pie... with the added bonus that everybody who likes mashed potatoes at all like mine. Apparently I make them well, so I've been the mashed potato queen in our family since high school.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Tofu turkey for my vegan wife, pork rind stuffing for her keto sister, a book on overcoming hypochondria for my ibs/crohns mother in law, and some pizza for dad who works for Butterball.

ah, yes. A true 21st century Thanksgiving. (recipe for the pork rind stuffing???)
  • iheartmyyorkie
    iheartmyyorkie Posts: 163 Member
    Options

ah, yes. A true 21st century Thanksgiving. (recipe for the pork rind stuffing???)
    There actually is one that I ran across years ago. But it looks disgusting and I would never actually make it. Here's a link to the recipe.
    https://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pork_rind_stuffing.html
  • pancakerunner
    Options

There actually is one that I ran across years ago. But it looks disgusting and I would never actually make it. Here's a link to the recipe.
    https://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pork_rind_stuffing.html

7xtfk647rhck.png

this one looks better...
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    Hmm —- Mini pumpkins filled with roast pumpkin..

Why have I never thought of this. Super idea! Do you roast the mini pumpkins, too? Oh, I have to try this. So much more fun than using a pumpkin shell as a tureen. I can totally see roasting mini pumpkins and filling them with roasted squash soup. Mmmmmmmm.....
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, we were doing Thanksgiving with just a couple friends. Really low key. Nice night. My partner made a pumpkin pie among other things. She always went to the extra trouble of cutting leaf shapes out of extra crust and floating them on top. Nice touch, and really pretty. She also brought some heavy cream and a bowl and whisk. We took turns whisking the cream. My friend's wife asked at some point when it was her turn, "Why are we doing this?" We all had to laugh. She had never made whipped cream from cream before!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    NOW I'm hungry.
    Been invited to my sister's and have no idea what to bring. She'll be doing the traditional stuffed turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, but I'll have to ask her what else she'd like. Any ideas for healthy add-ons?
    And the mac n cheese picture reminded me I'm hosting a potluck and offered to make that. I've made it before and it comes out good but does anyone have a great recipe they'd share? That picture looks perfect. :)
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    My parents are hosting. I will bring the entertainment (toddler and pooch). My mom is thinking of making bread pudding in which case I will offer to bake some bread for her to use. Otherwise I will just help with certain things like the sauce for the green beans and spinach artichoke dip once we get to her house.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    My parents are hosting. I will bring the entertainment (toddler and pooch). My mom is thinking of making bread pudding in which case I will offer to bake some bread for her to use. Otherwise I will just help with certain things like the sauce for the green beans and spinach artichoke dip once we get to her house.

The best bread pudding I ever had was made with part cinnamon rolls
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    puffbrat wrote: »

The best bread pudding I ever had was made with part cinnamon rolls

just looked up a recipe...
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I hate Thanksgiving food.. probably just going to order Indian food, which is more indulgent than what’s been in my meal plan lately, but soo good! I’m in nyc, so not much shuts down that day.

I’ve convinced my family members (I’m interested in seeing) to meet up with me a few days later at a diner rather than do the boring sit around the table with people I don’t like and food I don’t want bit.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    fitpal4242 wrote: »
    I hate Thanksgiving food.. probably just going to order Indian food, which is more indulgent than what’s been in my meal plan lately, but soo good! I’m in nyc, so not much shuts down that day.

I’ve convinced my family members (I’m interested in seeing) to meet up with me a few days later at a diner rather than do the boring sit around the table with people I don’t like and food I don’t want bit.

No, I wasn’t the person who disagreed with you.

No disrespect to NYC, but restaurants, as well as other businesses, are open all across the USA on Thanksgiving. Life is good in flyover land!😉 I love the holiday, and the whole tradition of foods, family and friends, of the day. It’s a special day, however you celebrate.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    For the family meal, nothing. We go out. My aunt and uncle would always host and got tired of cooking a huge meal for Thanksgiving to turn around and do it again for Christmas. No one else has the space to hold our whole family.

Now, on Friday, I will be making a full Thanksgiving dinner. Turkey, gravy, green bean casserole, stuffing, cheesy hashbrowns, rolls, and a Black Forest poke cake. And it is all for me. This will last me almost a week.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    DarkTwain wrote: »
    Cheesecake and booze

And the address for dinner is....?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nothing. I'll be on the east coast visiting my BIL and SIL. We're going into NYC on Thanksgiving to see the Rockettes and going to Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse afterwards.

FOGO! Usually turned into FM! lol I am making a home made, cured, smoked, ham.
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    NOW I'm hungry.
    Been invited to my sister's and have no idea what to bring. She'll be doing the traditional stuffed turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, but I'll have to ask her what else she'd like. Any ideas for healthy add-ons?
    And the mac n cheese picture reminded me I'm hosting a potluck and offered to make that. I've made it before and it comes out good but does anyone have a great recipe they'd share? That picture looks perfect. :)

My absolute favorite Mac and cheese is Homeroom’s classic macaroni and cheese. Homeroom is a restaurant in Oakland that specializes in Mac and cheese! The recipe is online on many different websites. It is so delicious! An important note-cut the amount of salt in half, it is insane if you make it as printed. It’s the best, most creamy cheesy perfection I’ve ever had, and I’ve had quite a few!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    RachellaJ wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    NOW I'm hungry.

My absolute favorite Mac and cheese is Homeroom’s classic macaroni and cheese. Homeroom is a restaurant in Oakland that specializes in Mac and cheese! The recipe is online on many different websites. It is so delicious! An important note-cut the amount of salt in half, it is insane if you make it as printed. It’s the best, most creamy cheesy perfection I’ve ever had, and I’ve had quite a few!

I checked out that recipe, it sounds amazing!
    May have to change/add a new holiday tradition!