From zero to twenty pull-ups - No experience necessary!

Replies

• gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    After taking 2 days of break from shoulders/arms (day one rest my lats still were notably sore from W-2D1/2) I was back at this today and back at push ups. I was very very surprised how just those two sessions really added control to my negatives and slowed the descent. I repeated negative sets of W-2D2 because on Day 3 it skips to doing full pull up.

I'm not really sure how the program thinks if you couldn't do a pull up just 2 days of 5Set1Rep negatives is going to get you there TBH for people who are starting at a true no success mark.

That said, the improvement in 2 days of work and a bit of rest was indeed impressive. I suspect if progress like this increases I should be able to do a decent pull up or two by the end of the month.
  • mthwbrwn
    mthwbrwn Posts: 104 Member
    gemiller87 wrote: »
    I repeated negative sets of W-2D2 because on Day 3 it skips to doing full pull up.

I'm not really sure how the program thinks if you couldn't do a pull up just 2 days of 5Set1Rep negatives is going to get you there TBH for people who are starting at a true no success mark.

That said, the improvement in 2 days of work and a bit of rest was indeed impressive.

Yeah I hear you on the day W-2D3 plan - Why the 1 full pull up is set up at the END of the set is a little weird. As if some one who couldn't do one pull up a week before suddenly is going to do one at a very fatigued state.
    The good news is that week-1 is set up more like one would expect(and it makes me think that W-2D3 could be a typo) . At any rate, my personal opinion is that once you feel you can control the negative (5 sec at top, 5 to lower and 5 in an engaged low hang ) for all 5 negatives adding another negative each day (in a new set after rest) is the best way to get that first pull up.
  • mthwbrwn
    I thought this video was pretty interesting.
    Well I do have hardwood floors at home so I'll give these a try. Most hotel rooms are carpeted so you would have to do these in the hotel gym when doing these and many of those gyms are matted. It may be just as hard to find a hardwood floor in a strange city as a decent pull up bar. :s

They look like they would work really well as active stretching before and after doing pull ups, however.

The trainer in the video says "you will look absolutely ridiculous" and he is totally correct, though I gave up caring what others think when I worked on handstand push ups at the gym in my work building.

• yamabachi
    yamabachi Posts: 273 Member
    My goal this year was to work on being able to even do 1 pullup from a dead hang. However, I like to cross train with a variety of workouts all week and can only devote maybe 1 day per week on this. Do you think I can still make gains following the workout schedule once a week? (and I'd probably still tack on some HIIT cardio after working on pullups)
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    MT you're setting a good and inspiring example....and...

I'm female, 56, around 235 lbs, history of rotor cuff injury, so I can't even try this challenge.

I just want to weigh in here that pull ups may not be appropriate for everyone, folk need to assess their own situation to avoid injury to body or ego.

It's easier for someone who is close to healthy weight to do a pull up than for someone who is 100 lbs overweight to do one, so when assessing your progress don't forget to include where you are starting from and adjusting your expectations accordingly. Dudes without prior injury history and in the body-building side of MFP rather than the fat loss side are going to have faster progress than someone like me.

Not trying to rain on your excellent parade but do want to keep others from feeling bad if their mileage on this project doesn't keep up with yours.
  • mthwbrwn
    yamabachi wrote: »
    My goal this year was to work on being able to even do 1 pullup from a dead hang... Do you think I can still make gains following the workout schedule once a week?

Welcome to the group.

Yes, I think that a beginner can make gains on a once per week schedule. Once a week is a whole lot more than nothing and hopefully with your cross training you are strengthening some of the muscles needed to reach your goal of a dead hang pull-up as well. If you take a look at workout plans on MFP, many people are only working a body type once a week.
    -BIG HOWEVER: You will reach your goals quicker if you can find out the proper work load on your exercise day and couple that with the proper rest period. For a beginner using body weight, your rest period is much shorter than one week. More like 48-72 hours.

Let's talk about goals for one minute. You stated "My goal this year was to work on being able to even do 1 pull-up from a dead hang." Do you have a similar goal for cross training? As in some kind of defined goal in mind that is concrete and measurable? Trainers often say to set a defined goal, rather than a general goal like "I want to be stronger", because it is helpful in measuring (and attaining) success. Is your cross training goal more important than your pull-ups goal? I ask because it looks like you have an issue of not enough time to excel in both at the same time. (its not you, everybody only has 24 hours in the day :) ) This is where periodization comes into play - If you have short burst goals, such as 6 weeks, you can increase focus on one goal, while setting the other goal(s) to the back burner, and at the conclusion of the goal sprint, reassess all your goals. Maybe as the new year get closer, you want to reach that defined goal of one pull-up and now is a good time to switch up. You could increase your pull-ups to 3/week and reduce the cross training to 2 or 3/week. There are just about six weeks left in the year!

At any rate, this is your plan. If you want to work pull-ups once a week and come back here and report your work, please do so. Also, if you want to do neutral grip or chip-ups, sweet.

There's not a lot of right or wrong debate going on this challenge . If you are pulling on a bar, we're cheering.

• yamabachi
    @mthwbrwn , thanks for the thoughtful post! I think you summed it up right here - "Once a week is a whole lot more than nothing" - I certainly won't get to one pullup by doing nothing and not something. I'm going to see when I can fit in the pullup practice in my schedule. I may also try to squeeze it in on my "rest day" before I do my light workout, or before a "leg day" workout.

I'm not willing to just focus on pullups for a short period. I need crosstraining for sanity more than anything else, and I lose my cardio fitness very quickly if I ignore that for any length of time, even just a few weeks. (I alternate traditional strength, MWT/MRT, traditional cardio, and yoga) I was thinking about incorporating extra bodyweight and/or suspension training into the mix to help my pullup performance along.

Anyway, challenge accepted! Will post when I do the first workout.
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    I feel like I am far off from being able to do even one pull up, but it is definitely one of my fitness goals. Thanks so much for sharing this challenge. I'm going to give it a try. Even to have a structured plan set out to do the negatives, is a great starting point.
  • yamabachi
    I thought this video was pretty interesting. This may work for you @mthwbrwn next time you are traveling without access to a bar.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19529627/the-move-that-will-make-you-a-pullup-powerhouse/

When I watched this video, all I could think about was how this will hurt my boobs. Looks like a great alternative, but ouch!
  • mthwbrwn
    @LAT1963

Thank you for your interest in this discussion.

I'm sorry to hear that your situation is such that you are unable to try this challenge. Pull-ups won't be or everyone. They are a complex movement using 13 different muscles (including those of the rotator cuff) and any injury to these muscles or the surrounding ligaments and tendons can make this challenge impossible. Certain modifications, such as neutral grip, however, do lesson the rotation to the rotator cuff and can make this movement easier. This is a discussion you would want to have with your doctor, not anyone on MFP.

That said, if you have been given the red light by your doctor for all overhead pulling, there are currently 185 pages of other challenges on MFP that you can join and challenge yourself appropriately.

Good Luck

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Pullups were one of the few things I could still do when dealing with rotator cuff injury. I just couldn't do any pushing (still have to be really careful).

I miserably failed Week 5/Day 3, so I'm just going to start over again at Week 5/Day2. I was really active yesterday including an Aerial silk class that involved pullups, straight arm balls and 20ft. climbs, so that may have contributed.
    yamabachi wrote: »
    I thought this video was pretty interesting. This may work for you @mthwbrwn next time you are traveling without access to a bar.

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a19529627/the-move-that-will-make-you-a-pullup-powerhouse/

When I watched this video, all I could think about was how this will hurt my boobs. Looks like a great alternative, but ouch!

Haha! I have no boobs, so that thought never crossed my mind. I hope it's not too painful!
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    I would gladly join, but ignorant. What is negative referring to in this case?
  • mthwbrwn
    I was able to finish W2D2 yesterday. I was feeling pretty good so I ended up doing an extra on the 5th round.
    3/3/2/3/4. I then did a single round of 4 about an hour later but noticed elbow pain creeping back so I held back on throwing more volume on.

@mom23mangos - "I was really active yesterday including an Aerial silk class that involved pullups, straight arm balls and 20ft. climbs" <-- This is the opposite of failing miserably.

The pull-ups are the potatoes and the Aerial silk class is the gravy. Lets be honest, who's dishing up a plateful of just potatoes?
    My metaphor might have gone sideways. Let me put it another way. You are kicking major *kitten* and living life right!
  • IkicaPlanina
    IkicaPlanina Posts: 10 Member
    I have to try getting one pull up in! I have the upper body strength of a squirrel, but all that can change!
  • gemiller87
    edited November 2019
    s131951 wrote: »

A negative is where you climb to the top of the bar with a helping item like a small step stoop or a partners help to ease you up and lower yourself as slowly and controlled as possible holding various points when possible. IE Start with chin above bar, hold for so long and then lower yourself and hold. I try to stop at halfway and hold that position as well.

But essentially just a reverse pull up building all the necessary muscle groups.
  • mthwbrwn

Welcome to the group. According to twenty pullups
    Negative pull up:
    Climb up to the bar so you start in the topmost position, then slowly lower yourself. Work against the gravity and try to lower yourself as slow as you can.

When I do negatives, I like to hold a flexed arm hang up top for 5 seconds then a 5 count down and at the bottom keep "engaged" for 5 seconds. "engaged' is having your shoulders pulled down and in, almost like you are trying to hold a pencil between your shoulder blades.

• s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    mthwbrwn wrote: »

Welcome to the group. According to twenty pullups
    Negative pull up:
    Climb up to the bar so you start in the topmost position, then slowly lower yourself. Work against the gravity and try to lower yourself as slow as you can.

When I do negatives, I like to hold a flexed arm hang up top for 5 seconds then a 5 count down and at the bottom keep "engaged" for 5 seconds. "engaged' is having your shoulders pulled down and in, almost like you are trying to hold a pencil between your shoulder blades.

Well derp to me. That makes perfect sense now. Thank you! I'll go into hiding for a few years now.
  • gemiller87
    edited November 2019
    The last two days I have been doing some light bench pressing (first time lifting since high school age) with a bench a friend gave me. Started day one at 3 sets 5 reps 85lbs, yesterday 2 sets 5reps 100lb, 4 sets 5 reps 90lbs and 2 sets 10 reps curls 45lbs plus my continued negatives and pushups. I took a stab yesterday at a regular pull up and there was major progress but I also did it after the bench in poor planning. Still couldn't do it but definitely seeing and feeling improvement.

Tonight going to do my completely workout cycle again: squats, planks, sit-ups, push ups, pull up negatives and the newly added bench press and curls. Taking Wednesday off completely except for sit ups/planks because my recovery on core feels really good currently. I'm 50/50 in starting to feel confidence that i'll make success to a pull up earlier than the end of the year which was my original goal at this point.

The only concern I have with progress/gains is still being in a notable weight loss deficit. I'm making headway looking at my workout logs for all exercises because i'm fresh in strength training but i'm still in a very very strong deficit (2lb calculations with no eat back for burn offs, losing 3-5lbs a week). I'm closing in on my goal weight <15lbs to go from a total loss of 110lbs since I started tracking in March and 125-135 total. I think that's probably a if not THE major hold back factor on pull up progress at this point for me.
  • mthwbrwn
    Congrats on reducing 110#. That is commendable.

Progress will be limited by staying low on calories, but as I stated to @yamabchi, it really is a matter of figuring out what the most important thing to you is and the most important thing AT THE MOMENT. This also goes for exercise order. If benching is currently more important, do it first.

While having the drive to reach a long term goal is important, you definitely should allow yourself to reassess along the way and make changes as needed (or wanted).

The thing I would suggest is to keep a log of your goals and a daily check-in. The check-in can be as easy as a daily smiley face or a few thoughts on the day. The website for Polar flow(for my watch) does this and while I first though it was silly, it has helped me figure out when I was getting stale from overwork from my cycling.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    @gemiller87 - losing weight will be the BEST thing that will help your pullup progress. Just 5lbs makes a HUGE difference. If you start training at the weight you are now, you will fly by the time you get to your goal weight.

Unfortunately I just got news yesterday that I have to have a small basal cell carcinoma removed from by abdomen next week and depending on the length of incision/number of stitches I may have to hold off on pullups for a bit since it stretches your abdomen quite a bit.