Thanksgiving: What are you bringing to the table?

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    RachellaJ wrote: »
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    NOW I'm hungry.
    Been invited to my sister's and have no idea what to bring. She'll be doing the traditional stuffed turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, but I'll have to ask her what else she'd like. Any ideas for healthy add-ons?
    And the mac n cheese picture reminded me I'm hosting a potluck and offered to make that. I've made it before and it comes out good but does anyone have a great recipe they'd share? That picture looks perfect. :)

My absolute favorite Mac and cheese is Homeroom’s classic macaroni and cheese. Homeroom is a restaurant in Oakland that specializes in Mac and cheese! The recipe is online on many different websites. It is so delicious! An important note-cut the amount of salt in half, it is insane if you make it as printed. It’s the best, most creamy cheesy perfection I’ve ever had, and I’ve had quite a few!

Thanks; have saved it to Pinterest! Looks yummy!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Roast turkey, green bean casserole, corn, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and my bf’s favorite, White Castle stuffing. Oh, and wine for me (usually starting at breakfast), cola for him.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    White castle stuffing! Funny... just read a thing about this. Sounds interesting!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Nothing.

I don't "celebrate" TG anymore but I still buy and roast turkey around TG because it is so cheap this time of yr.

Just bought 2 - 15# turkeys for only 47 cents/#. Broke down into parts and froze 1 of them and am roasting the other.

Roasted all of the remains of the 1st bird and the neck of the other to use in preparing turkey broth.

Will also breakdown and freeze what I don't immediately eat of the 2nd bird and will add the roasted remains of the 2nd bird towards the prep of turkey stock

Yum!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    nothing but my plat and fork. only because Thanksgiving was last month
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    fitpal4242 wrote: »
    I hate Thanksgiving food.. probably just going to order Indian food, which is more indulgent than what’s been in my meal plan lately, but soo good! I’m in nyc, so not much shuts down that day.

I’ve convinced my family members (I’m interested in seeing) to meet up with me a few days later at a diner rather than do the boring sit around the table with people I don’t like and food I don’t want bit.

I don't care for Thanksgiving food that much either. I do like roasted turkey and when I cook it I do a good job, but with the exception of mashed potatoes, nothing else appeals to me. Sweet potato casserole is way to sweet for me. I prefer just roasted sweet potatoes with a bit of butter only, and green beans casseroles are boring. I don't eat anything with pumpkin, cinnamon or allspice :s . I have a reaction to that spice and even the smell makes me puke. Apple and cranberry sauces are made without cinnamon, just bourbon infused vanilla extract.

On the other hand, and without offending anybody, I don't eat Indian food either.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I'm hosting, so pretty much everything. But I love to cook and bake, and I'll have some willing helpers.

Dinner: pear and arugula salad with gorgonzola and candied walnuts, roast turkey with herb gravy, sage and onion stuffing (one pan with sausage), mashed potatoes, sauerkraut with apples, sweet potatoes baked in their skins, green beans with ginger and garlic, rutabaga mash, shoepeg corn (frozen), mulled wine cranberry sauce

Dessert: pumpkin pie with cinnamon whiskey whipped cream, cranberry curd tart with almond crust (gluten and dairy free), lemon sorbet with creme de cassis and blackberries, something chocolate for the kids

And lots and lots of wine... :)

Sorry, I must have misplaced my invitation. What time was I supposed to show up? I'll bring cornbread. And more wine. I have wild mushrooms if that will help with the stuffing.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try pickled grapes for the relish dish, based on a recommendation from @estherdragonbat.

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

Yes, I am dredging up the first post from the thread because I MADE PICKLED GRAPES.

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm going to try pickled grapes for the relish dish, based on a recommendation from @estherdragonbat.

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

Yes, I am dredging up the first post from the thread because I MADE PICKLED GRAPES.

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

fun fact: i hate grapes lol
  • apullum
    Options

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

If you are at all open to trying a grape, these are excellent grapes. If not, I also pickled some pineapple guava.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Already eating my roast turkey w/about 2 qts of gravy made from the juices, the fresh veggies on hand and canned cranberry jelly and some steamed rice.

I just reheat the turkey in the gravy b4 serving. Will be eating some turkey everyday for at least a wk but still have about 20# of turkey in the freezer (out of the 30# that I just bought) to cook/eat later. LOL!

Yum! :)
  • beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 960 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    @mtaratoot - Cornbread and wild mushrooms and wine...oh my! I'll have to dig up another place setting ;)

@apullum - I am really curious; how does one pickle a grape?
  • apullum
    Options
    @mtaratoot - Cornbread and wild mushrooms and wine...oh my! I'll have to dig up another place setting ;)

@apullum - I am really curious; how does one pickle a grape?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/pickled-red-grapes.html

I didn’t have a vanilla bean, so I left it out. I also didn’t have a cinnamon stick, so I used ground cinnamon.
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    The whole meal... everyone else can just relax, get drunk and watch football 😁🏈🍗🥧

Me too...yay😒.....😂🙌....i actually love it....the clean up not so much😣
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    my only family in the state is going on vacation all of thanksgiving week so it'll be my first year at my fiance's family's. making a french silk pie for my future mil because she's apparently bought a whole spread for my inconvenient vegan *kitten* from whole foods. she also hates coconut so i have to make a dairy recipe, but my fiance's in on it and serving as my taste tester for lack of a lactose tolerant chef. :p
  • pancakerunner
    Options

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

If you are at all open to trying a grape, these are excellent grapes. If not, I also pickled some pineapple guava.

Also hate pineapple... and guava! HAHA.
  • khcrmo
    khcrmo Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    dechowj wrote: »
    Spiced orange cranberry sauce and roasted veggie and quinoa salad.

Any chance i can get the recipe for that?!
  • beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    @apullum - Thanks for the recipe link! Looks yummy (although I'll sub allspice for the cloves) - and easy! I am totally going to try it and spring those babies on my Turkey Day guests :wink:
  • apullum
    Options

And pecan pie...

ti9fi51obb5y.jpg

THEY ARE AMAZING.

That is all.

Also hate pineapple... and guava! HAHA.

Fortunately it’s neither pineapple nor guava; it’s a fruit called feijoa. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoa