The "just one bite" problem -help!-

Options
I have litlle kids and Im always surrounded by snacks and all foods . I been noticing that eating a bite here and there after the kids is whats causing me to be unssucesfull with my weight loss I do track all my intake but not the litlle bites here and there , I know it all adds up and i still eat , its mentally stressful for me to not be able to control my self eventhough I do want to reach my goa badly , I have my last 10lbs to loose , I had so much willpower and would turn anything not in my diary away easily but now I just lost it ! Its weird and makes me feel so hopeless...any tips to overcome this ?
Thanks pals

Replies

• naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Why don't you allow yourself to eat it only if you log it? Usually I would find that I can't be bothered and would actually skip it (just being lazy!). Could you try for a week?
    Also, some people have a kind of mantra that they are not a rubbish bin and therefore won't eat scraps... might work for you?
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yeah those ideas are great , its hard but i will try
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    Options
    I have a bad habit of finishing off kids food. I only kicked it when my daughter got older as she eats all her food.

I still have a habit of tasting stuff when I’m cooking. So I haven’t cracked it yet. I try and eat chopped up raw veggies instead.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Can you chew gum instead of testing while cooking or eating your kids' leftovers? As far as what they're eating, you can work towards making their foods healthier too. Little ones will learn to love homemade chicken nuggets as much as the McD ones. :) I had young ones of my own(and of others too operating a daycare at home), and the temptation was always there. I yielded to it way too often. :(

I have to be honest that I don't track 100% of my intake but always go under my calorie allotment for the day so know I'm not way off base. Plus I'm not tempted by 'kid' foods anymore. Well, I can't say that either. ;) I made banana bread yesterday for my dh and he wanted ice cream sandwiches so still have some of those in the freezer. So far, my brain has kept saying no. And that's part of it too, find a way to keep telling yourself no.
    Good luck!!! You can find your way back!
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing is just quick add say 200 calories or so for those sort of things. Unless you are troughing great big scoops of nutella!
  • SERmom3
    SERmom3 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem! I hate to see food wasted so I would finish off the last few bites of waffles or whatever, but that absolutely impacted my weight loss.

I finally just stopped doing it. I try to find other ways to reuse the food.
    - Put it in the fridge and save it for the kids to have a quick bite later or make it into something else. (The morning’s leftover bagel can become tomorrow’s bagel pizza lunch!)
    - Feed the birds any bread scraps
    - I compost anything I can

Once you commit to logging everything you eat, (even those occasional bites) it’s amazing how your mind shifts. You may find those bites just aren’t worth it!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Throw out your kids leftovers. Don't let them come near your mouth. Good luck.
  • IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You know what I do? I just set my diary low, like 1200 calories because it's a buffer. I'm not saying that you need to eat 1200 calories. You said you are not logging everything.

There is a zero percent chance that I'm logging 100% accurately. I am bound to mess up even though I'm careful. I weigh portions. I log EVERYTHING. But I am human, prone to error so my goal is low to provide room for those errors.

You know that you are eating stuff you are not logging so create some space in your diary for that either by logging estimated calories or dropping your goal a bit because you aren't logging everything.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Pre-log it. Nothing goes past the lips before it's in the log.

Perhaps the inconvenience of having to go through the process of logging will make that 'one bite' not worth the hassle.
    Perhaps once you've logged it and seen in hard data the impact that 'one bite' will have on your daily calorie target it won't be so appetising
    Perhaps the act of having to go get your table or phone, or go to the computer will be enough of a distraction to stop wanting/having that 'one bite'
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Kids' hands are gross and full of germs. That turns me off enough to not eat anything after them. 🤢🤮

Who isn’t teaching their children to wash their hands properly before eating!?
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Our daughter is grown up - but when she was a little child we rarely had "snacks, sweets" etc. lying around. We had reasonably normal meal times and there was some fruit to take to school. We warned her friends' parents and that was good enough. Did she eat sweets? I am sure, she did - until the first dentist's visit who discovered a hole in a molar... Which makes me think: If we really were such perfect parents - where does my huge weight come from ?!?! I am lucky - if I don't see "snacks" lying about, I don't think about them and I don't NEED them or WANT them. As long as they are in some cupboard, in the freezer or with the neighbours....
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Kids' hands are gross and full of germs. That turns me off enough to not eat anything after them. 🤢🤮

You must not have kids. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤔
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options

I had 4!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

I had 4!

Then you should know kids do stuff even after they wash their hands. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤮
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options

I had 4!

Then you should know kids do stuff even after they wash their hands. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤮

Yep straight from the soap and water to the booger factory :)