• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    go52182 wrote: »
    "Eating healthy" is a commonly used phrase that is simply out of touch and is now commonly used as a scare tactic.

If you want to lose weight eat within your caloric range. 500 cheeseburger calories are the same as 500 lettuce calories. The cheeseburger will provide vital nutrients the lettuce will lack, and vice versa. Is one healthier?

Obviously the answer is no. But if you're only eating 3-5 cheeseburgers a day to hit your macros that's going to affect your health in a not-good way.

When was that ever suggested once in this thread? I get so tired of that same argument because nobody ever suggests eating just cheeseburgers. Eating a varied diet is important, but a diet can be varied and still include cheeseburgers and other foods that you might claim are "unhealthy".

A cheeseburger by itself can be healthy, that's why I said the answer is no. This OP guy eats nothing but fast food. I was trying to illustrate that these things, by themselves, are not necessarily "unhealthy" but if you cram them with other foods just like them they ARE.

Do you understand macros?

I do, thank you. However I'm talking about about general health. IIFYM is a problem because it leads people to believing IIFYM you're good to go.

Because generally, as long as your macro goals are balanced and your caloric goal is reasonable then this is true. As others have stated, simply losing weight is going to be healthier for the OP than anything else. That, and the fact that it should be done in a way that its sustainable are why people were focusing more on calculating calories accurately and less about what they were eating.

I agree calorie goals and reaching a healthy weight are a big factors in improving health markers. However balanced macro goals really don't mean a thing unless you also consider the composition of the macros. You can have a carb macro % goal that is in the range endorsed by any respected group of professionals, but if the calories included in the carb goal include few if any fruits or vegetables or whole grains one will most likely be nutritionally deficient long term.
  • EvanzKarloGarcia
    Options
    Do I log per serve or per 100g?
  • EvanzKarloGarcia
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Do I log per serve or per 100g?

For the greatest accuracy, you should use a food scale to weigh all of your food.

I don’t think you answered my question!
  • EvanzKarloGarcia
    Options
    Why I even bother asking questions here if there are trolls
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    "Eating healthy" is a commonly used phrase that is simply out of touch and is now commonly used as a scare tactic.

If you want to lose weight eat within your caloric range. 500 cheeseburger calories are the same as 500 lettuce calories. The cheeseburger will provide vital nutrients the lettuce will lack, and vice versa. Is one healthier?

Obviously the answer is no. But if you're only eating 3-5 cheeseburgers a day to hit your macros that's going to affect your health in a not-good way.

When was that ever suggested once in this thread? I get so tired of that same argument because nobody ever suggests eating just cheeseburgers. Eating a varied diet is important, but a diet can be varied and still include cheeseburgers and other foods that you might claim are "unhealthy".

A cheeseburger by itself can be healthy, that's why I said the answer is no. This OP guy eats nothing but fast food. I was trying to illustrate that these things, by themselves, are not necessarily "unhealthy" but if you cram them with other foods just like them they ARE.

Do you understand macros?

I do, thank you. However I'm talking about about general health. IIFYM is a problem because it leads people to believing IIFYM you're good to go.

Because generally, as long as your macro goals are balanced and your caloric goal is reasonable then this is true. As others have stated, simply losing weight is going to be healthier for the OP than anything else. That, and the fact that it should be done in a way that its sustainable are why people were focusing more on calculating calories accurately and less about what they were eating.

I agree calorie goals and reaching a healthy weight are a big factors in improving health markers. However balanced macro goals really don't mean a thing unless you also consider the composition of the macros. You can have a carb macro % goal that is in the range endorsed by any respected group of professionals, but if the calories included in the carb goal include few if any fruits or vegetables or whole grains one will most likely be nutritionally deficient long term.

Not so much an issue of carb quality, as that micros matter, too (not to mention fiber). Calories first, macros second, micros third . . . .

Micros in supplements are not a substitute; more like an insurance policy, at best (unless prescribed to remedy a diagnosed deficiency). Food is natural-selection-tested, and contains the micros science hasn't even discovered yet that we need, in addition to the known ones. ;)

My point was with poor carb quality one is less likely to get the micos and fiber needed. Hope you are reading it that way :).