Lets talk Peanut butter?

Replies

• extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Slightly off topic but I replaced peanut butter with almond butter. I've read but cannot confirm that it's a better form of fat. Caloric but also very filling.

Expensive at Whole Paycheck. But reasonable from Costco.

eat whichever one you like better, it doesn't make a difference
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    I feel bad because I can't keep it in the house. I'll eat an entire jar in a day or two

Same here, if PB is in the house, it seems to call my name😋

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Does Jif still make the Jif whips??
  • fairytale_babe
    fairytale_babe Posts: 391 Member
    Absolutely not! I had two teaspoons of nutella last night, cause why not it's yummy! I was within my calories
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    Does Jif still make the Jif whips??

YES!!!!!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,582 Member
    Ok, for me it's cookie butter > sunflower seed butter > almond butter > peanut butter.

I don't think I've tried cashew or pistachio.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    Ok, for me it's cookie butter > sunflower seed butter > almond butter > peanut butter.

I don't think I've tried cashew or pistachio.

all the butters for me... :p
  • APPYMAMA22
    APPYMAMA22 Posts: 11 Member
    I love PB. It is one of my danger foods, though. I"be become aware that once I start with it I quickly progress to sneaking more into my mouth. So far I'm not disciplined enough to get rigorous about portion control. I love it mixed into a bowl of steel cut oatmeal, with a dollop of peach preserves on top. I could eat that for breakfast every day.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    I love peanut butter and eat it most every day. I mix a big spoonful of it up with chocolate protein powder, gelatin and a little Nesquik - stir all that up with a little water in a bowl until it's slightly goopy and it's awesome. Hella delicious protein.

Also, saturated fat = happy brain. It's your friend; don't knock it.

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Without PB, there would be no way to make Elvis or PB&J sandwiches. :(
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited November 2019
    Did someone say peanut butter??
    I am there! My main indulgence is having a slice of Italian bread with pb every day. Sometimes just a T., sometimes I slather on two T. So yummy!
    My favorite is Smucker's; it's simply peanuts and salt. But it's thick so hard to spread.
    Life wouldn't be worth living without peanut butter. :) (and don't even whisper the words peanut butter frosting) ;)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    hmmmm I love peanut butter but don't normally eat it - because I prefer crunchy almond butter. You know what else is so good... almond coconut butter. I am addicted and I eat it daily, and lose or maintain weight depending upon my goal at the time :smile:
  • PAPYRUS3
    hmmmm I love peanut butter but don't normally eat it - because I prefer crunchy almond butter. You know what else is so good... almond coconut butter. I am addicted and I eat it daily, and lose or maintain weight depending upon my goal at the time :smile:

I too love a crunchy almond butter...coconut almond sounds epic. I really like a cashew/almond butter too. Mind you, I pretty much like all nut or seed butters - not a fan of Nutella though
  • bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    I absolutely love peanut butter. Always have. Almond butter is okay. Never tried Cashew or any other nut butter. I now steer myself towards all-natural peanut butter, and if I can get it freshly made just from peanuts, even better. The less additives, the better. I will eat it either plain (one or two spoonfuls) or on a mini-babybel cheese wheel, or on apple slices or celery sticks. And I do make sure to log it when I do eat it.
  • PAPYRUS3
    bdgfn wrote: »
    I absolutely love peanut butter. Always have. Almond butter is okay. Never tried Cashew or any other nut butter. I now steer myself towards all-natural peanut butter, and if I can get it freshly made just from peanuts, even better. The less additives, the better. I will eat it either plain (one or two spoonfuls) or on a mini-babybel cheese wheel, or on apple slices or celery sticks. And I do make sure to log it when I do eat it.

I just entertain the 'all-natural' ones too - can't 'just' have a jar lying around though (a little too tempting for me right now), so I just make some of my own when I just HAVE to have some
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I wish I could tell you by how much Jif dominates all competing products in large panel blind taste tests. Its off the charts. Even the most successful direct competing products. Smuckers purchased it about 20 years ago from P&G. But, I can tell you that people love it more when they don't know it is Jif.
  • EileenL2015
    EileenL2015 Posts: 26 Member
    I have tried several kinds of PB and I think most are high in calories and fat. I just make sure to measure ONE TBS. out to add to toast. Portion control is important in my opinion.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    I don't understand the comments that peanut butter is not a good source of protein. Just checked: 2 tbsp (32 grams) of Crazy Richard's peanut butter (just peanuts, no salt etc.) is 8 grams protein for 190 calories. That makes it a good source of protein for me. Provides 1/5 of my protein needs for 1/8 of my calorie needs. I don't always eat that much in a day and don't eat it every day (I have loads of nut and seed butters and even other legume butters to alternate), but no problem if I do.

All you peanut nay-sayers must be carnivores used to overdosing on protein. I'm vegetarian but mostly eat vegan (allergic to egg/dairy, can eat 1 or 2 ounces of dairy cheese sometimes).

Like everything else, it's a matter of being aware of how much you are eating. 1 tbsp actually is a lot of peanut butter and can easily work well with a plate of carrots or apple slices. In a sandwich, often mine weighs out as about 22 grams, enough as a base for crunchy veg and greens.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Also cleanup is not a problem when making peanut butter in a vitamix or blender. Just settle down in comfort and use a spoon or your finger to enjoy the remainders... . Watch out for the blades. Then just add some soap and water and blend for a few minutes. I suppose you could omit the remainder eating step, but why waste good food?!?

I remember when JIF peanut butter first came out when I was a kid. They hung small sample jars on everybody's front door. We thought it was amazing. But at some point in my twenties, I got some good peanut butter that was just peanuts and salt (probably Smuckers) and really haven't liked JIF and the others that have sugar and oil added so much since then.

My first taste of just peanuts type peanut butter was from GNC, which allegedly made it fresh on site. I don't know what they did to it, but it had the oddest taste. Maybe they didn't use good peanuts or stored them incorrectly. I tried more than one container also at different times.

I've tried many different brands of "just peanuts and optionally salt" peanut butters since then, and they all are much better than that GNC travesty. So if you don't like one type, try another. I like both the salted and unsalted. Some are very gloppy - I just pour off some of the oil and keep it in the fridge for cooking (pure peanut oil!) or adding back toward the end of the jar if it gets too dry.

Storing upside down before opening apparently works - I get a nut/seed butter blend called NuttZo, and they not only sell it upside down - their label is upside down to get the message across... makes it easier for that first blend with the fork or whatever. I keep it rightside up after that, though.

There are also gadgets sold to make peanut butter blending easier, including one with a stirring device built into a cap that supposedly fits most peanut butter jars. Haven't tried them, though.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    jwoolman5 wrote: »
    I don't understand the comments that peanut butter is not a good source of protein. Just checked: 2 tbsp (32 grams) of Crazy Richard's peanut butter (just peanuts, no salt etc.) is 8 grams protein for 190 calories. That makes it a good source of protein for me. Provides 1/5 of my protein needs for 1/8 of my calorie needs. I don't always eat that much in a day and don't eat it every day (I have loads of nut and seed butters and even other legume butters to alternate), but no problem if I do.

All you peanut nay-sayers must be carnivores used to overdosing on protein. I'm vegetarian but mostly eat vegan (allergic to egg/dairy, can eat 1 or 2 ounces of dairy cheese sometimes).

Like everything else, it's a matter of being aware of how much you are eating. 1 tbsp actually is a lot of peanut butter and can easily work well with a plate of carrots or apple slices. In a sandwich, often mine weighs out as about 22 grams, enough as a base for crunchy veg and greens.

I think of something as an adequate protein source at about 20 calories per gram of protein, and a good source at around 10 calories per gram.

8 grams is less than 10% of my daily protein goal. 190 calories is about that same percent of my calorie goal.

I think of peanut butter as a good source of healthy fats. I eat a couple of tablespoons nearly every day. A little protein is a bonus.

I've been vegetarian for 45 years. We don't all look at foods the same way. Personally, I think a lot of vegan/vegetarian advocacy sites seriously lowball protein: Just my opinion, based on my reading of research. Others may differ, and that's fine; I see no need to be dismissive.

But I'm not a shill for Big Meat. I haven't eaten any - at least not knowingly/intentionally - since 1974.