Options
2»

Replies

• debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    erjones11 wrote: »
    Dried or dehydrated fruit is always a good choice. Keeps a long time so I can keep the bags in my office at work.

I buy it at the local dollar store for a dollar each bag, dah... So much less expensive then anywhere else and I like it all, peaches, apples, strawberries, bananas, blue berries, ect...

Depending on the brand you buy, these often have added sugar. That may not matter to you but if you have a medical condition that requires you to watch your sugar intake, choose the "no sugar added" options.
  • PBWFconvert
    PBWFconvert Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Frozen fruits are convenient for me. I make up all my containers on the weekend. I just throw blueberries on the bottom, then raspberries with pineapple on the top. (Doesn’t make the pineapple blue this way😂.) Takes 5 minutes. I grab one each morning n it thaws on my way to work. Frozen fruit is cheaper and no waste.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I like to get Lilly's hummus in small containers (1/4 cup? 2oz by weight) that are shelf stable. That way I don't have to commit to a big container of hummus when I really only want it occasionally. Love the little empty containers for small amounts of things also... I get them from Thrive Market online, but I think Amazon has them also.

If you eat enough hummus to get through a larger package in a week, as others have said - portioning it out yourself is cheaper. I got a bunch of small containers from amazon marketed to baby food do-it-yourselfers and find these really helpful. I have 1oz containers that would be nice for salad dressings or small portions of seeds etc., probably 2oz containers or bigger would be what you would want for hummus.

I have Oxo "baby blocks" 2oz (fluid ounce measure) containers that I use for portioning out nondairy ice cream (8 portions per pint) in the freezer. Perfect amount for me to grab and eat and I can have a variety available at once. 1oz and 2oz containers are good for nuts and seeds also, as well as of course nut/seed/legume butters if you are out of the house.

I also have Rubbermaid 4oz containers that I use for freezing some other foods such as canned fruit (really like pineapple chunks this way, for example). Rubbermaid has some nice tiny containers that I mainly use for supplements, but are probably 1oz containers.

All these Oxo and Rubbermaid containers are very sturdy, don't break when I drop them, and have very tight fitting lids.

There are other brands to look at for small containers also. Check reviews for durability whether you are buying online or in realspace.

You also could check out zip plastic snack and sandwich bags - those might be useful for your purposes. I put items like cookies and popcorn and chips and crackers and junky kid cereal into zip or fold over plastic bags (I knot the latter to seal), already in my usual portions. Keeps them fresh longer and also means I have to think and do some work to get a second cookie... But would be especially handy for someone working outside their home. You could use these for fresh veg as well, although there are plastic containers sold that should make that easy to do. Plastic bags can also be washed, rinsed, and dried for re-use, though.

If you're at home - I freeze portions of fruit and veg so they don't spoil before I get to them and also so I can grab pieces of things like melon and citrus and baked sweet potato etc. Prevents the chopping-up-fused-chunk-of-ice problem I often have otherwise with frozen fruit and veg. If you have other humans eating, you may not have such problems.

Also small 1 cup or 2 cup Pyrex bowls with tight rubber lids work very well for freezing portions of anything suitable. I like the 2 cup ones for half a can of soup, plenty of room to add more veg or whatever when heating it up in the microwave. A friend used to make her own soup in half the usual liquid level, then freeze in individual containers to bring to work. By lunch time they were thawed. She would add hot water and voilà! Hot soup.

I also cut up food bars (scads of vegan ones now, those would all be plant based) and put them in zip bags for easy access. So you don't have to eat the whole thing. I have vegan jerkies also that provide easily transportable protein, based on soy or wheat gluten or mushrooms. I portion them into bags or containers if they come as bits rather than rods or strips.

If you want sealed commercial snack items made out of real food and can't find enough locally, look for mailorder sources. I use Amazon, Vitacost, LuckyVitamin, VeganEssentials, iHerb, Gluten Free Mall, Thrive. A lot of things are provided as single portions today because there is a market for them. I've even bought small bags of high-protein cereals and the like.

I like small nori (seaweed) sheets often sold now in small snack packs. I like them with a bit of nut/seed/legume butter. Easy to use those squeezable pouches to get a little bit on them, and a pouch could be kept in a desk. The right size stiff container would be needed if you only want a few sheets (the ones I have come 10 little sheets to a snack pack) unless you do as I do at home - just put the plastic bin into a plastic bag and seal with a clothes pin. I like the GimMe brand but there are plenty of others to try, including some with a lot of extra seasonings.