How to deal with sweet's in the home

Options

Replies

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I understand. I know that I couldn't be successful with my weight management if I didn't live alone. I think many people have some area of their lives where they lack impulse control (i.e. finances, drinking, eating, smoking etc.). It's not always just a matter of self-discipline and self-control. I hope that you can come to some agreement with your spouse. I am an extremely disciplined person in every area of my life (spiritual, career, finances); however, when it comes to food, I can't have treats in the pantry or I will give in. I am sending good thoughts your way and wishing you the best.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    "Honey, I weigh 400 pounds. I am trying to do something about that before I fall over dead - I want to be here and healthy for you. If I had the ability to resist temptation, I wouldn't be this weight, so I need your support. No more sweets in the house. Can you do that for me?"

Right? Great Post. That makes perfect rational sense .

.... and if her answer is "No." , what then ??

Really.... not wisecracking here.

How does one deal with an enabler ??

• Motorsheen
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    "Honey, I weigh 400 pounds. I am trying to do something about that before I fall over dead - I want to be here and healthy for you. If I had the ability to resist temptation, I wouldn't be this weight, so I need your support. No more sweets in the house. Can you do that for me?"

Right? Great Post. That makes perfect rational sense .

Then there needs to be some outside counseling involved. At 400 pounds and cardiac issues the OP is literally facing a life and death situation. He apparently needs some help that he apparently isn't getting from his spouse.

Difficult to argue that point.

If he's clear and upfront about his eating issues & she continues to bring those items into the home.....

Not good.
  • Motorsheen
    Options

Right?

Not many people in a close relationship will flat-out refuse a heart-felt, direct appeal for help in doing something with life-or-death consequences.

A 400 lb person whose nascent efforts to lose weight are being sabotaged by a spouse needs to sit down with said spouse, lay out the problem, and insist that they work together as a team.

A "no" answer would hint at a deeper problem in the relationship than junk food, and that could be addressed in various ways, but my starting position would simply be: I need your help with this.

Dieting has many challenges, and I've learned that one of them is getting control of the situation with other people who aren't tuned in. I've dealt with more than my fair share of going to meet a friend for a meal and sitting down to a table full of fried onion rings and such. I've tried and tried to hint and get my needs across in a myriad subtle ways, to no avail. Eventually, I just got to a point where I would say, "I'm morbidly obese. I am trying to save my own life. It's a big project. Being surrounded by junk food makes it much harder. So what I need from you is to not make it even harder than it already is by putting crap food right in front of my face."

It works. In fits and starts, and not necessarily on the first rev. But by the 2nd or 3rd iteration, it sinks in.

Respect.

One point is that the level of that discussion between the OP and his wife is unknown.

It's one thing to say:

" You know, it would be okay if we maybe didn't have all of that tasty food in the house."

versus:

" I'm 400 pounds and this food is killing me. I'm asking you, please don't buy it; please don't bring it into the house. I'm asking for your help with this."
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I think the OP needs to try a strategy that allows food in the house but that he learns to deal with more effectively. After all temptation will always exist and the holidays are coming with many baked treats to go around.

Jumping to nothing in the house should be the last thing tried.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options

Right?

Not many people in a close relationship will flat-out refuse a heart-felt, direct appeal for help in doing something with life-or-death consequences.

A 400 lb person whose nascent efforts to lose weight are being sabotaged by a spouse needs to sit down with said spouse, lay out the problem, and insist that they work together as a team.

A "no" answer would hint at a deeper problem in the relationship than junk food, and that could be addressed in various ways, but my starting position would simply be: I need your help with this.

Dieting has many challenges, and I've learned that one of them is getting control of the situation with other people who aren't tuned in. I've dealt with more than my fair share of going to meet a friend for a meal and sitting down to a table full of fried onion rings and such. I've tried and tried to hint and get my needs across in a myriad subtle ways, to no avail. Eventually, I just got to a point where I would say, "I'm morbidly obese. I am trying to save my own life. It's a big project. Being surrounded by junk food makes it much harder. So what I need from you is to not make it even harder than it already is by putting crap food right in front of my face."

It works. In fits and starts, and not necessarily on the first rev. But by the 2nd or 3rd iteration, it sinks in.

Respect.

One point is that the level of that discussion between the OP and his wife is unknown.

It's one thing to say:

" You know, it would be okay if we maybe didn't have all of that tasty food in the house."

versus:

" I'm 400 pounds and this food is killing me. I'm asking you, please don't buy it; please don't bring it into the house. I'm asking for your help with this."

Agree. I would think the OP needs to show his wife he's serious about losing weight. If he eats the food and quantities that got him to 400 pounds at meals (home and away) the wife may not feel he's not taking the situation serious, why should she?

If he's reduced his volume of food, is making some effort to move more etc., and the wife is still bringing stuff in when he requests she doesn't that's an issue.