Porridge

Options
How many g of oats do you use when making porridge for breakfast? How much does calories does your normal porridge workout as? What toppings do you like? Do you make it with water or milk?

I'm vegan so make it either water or soya milk

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    depends on what my calorie goals for the day are
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh it, so don't know the calories.

I cook mine in the microwave, 1 part oats to 2 parts liquid. I use a mug, 1/2 mug oats to 1 mug liquid.
    I don't eat dairy, and prefer oat milk or unsweetened almond milk, but of course that is up to you.

I have lots of toppings/ flavours. Stir in a spoonful of cocoa and or instant coffee before cooking. Soft fruit, cooked apple and cinnamon, peanut butter - solid or powder, brown sugar, jam. Often combinations of all of them.

There's a thread on here somewhere about savoury porridge, it sounds great but I have a sweet tooth.
  • Dame_sans_merci
    Dame_sans_merci Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I usually have 40g large porridge oats and 200ml alternative milk (usually unsweetened Almond or coconut as they are low on calories).

Toppings might be;

Nutty bananas; Chopped Banana, almond butter and maple agave added once porridge is served

Apple pie; small diced or grated apple cooked in with oats and a sprinkle of cinnamon with a dash of vanilla extract. Little squeeze of maple agave to finish

Carrot cake; grate a carrot into the porridge while it cooks, add some fat sultanas and nutmeg. Once served, scatter over some crushed walnuts and maple agave.

Tropical; usually make the porridge with coconut milk for this. Add in some small diced fresh tropical fruit like mango, guava and pineapple. Finish with a sprinkle of desiccated coconut and any residual juice from slicing the fruit.

Winter Spice; chopped apple, dried cranberries, sprinkle of mixed spice (nutmeg, cinnamon, clove combined), chopped brazil or hazelnuts, finish with a teaspoon of warmed whiskey/rum poured over the top (and a dash of double cream if feeling extra indulgent)

I tend to use up to 500 cals on a hearty porridge based breakfast when I have it as it really lasts me and means lunch can easily be a light salad later in the afternoon.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I use 30g of oats with 80ml of unsweetened almond milk. If it needs more liquid I’ll just splash a little water in.

Comes to around 120 cals.

Hardly ever add anything else to it, but very occasionally if I’ve had fruit that’s a little overripe I’ll cook that up with Stevia and add a spoonful of that.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    40g of rolled oats, cinnamon, salt, 10g of peanut butter. Mixed with an egg beaten into water. Microwave then slice in a banana. Depending on the size of the banana, it's usually around 375 cals.
  • knoxy550
    knoxy550 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use 30g oats 80mls semi skimmed milk, microwave 2.10mins top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and some blueberries.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    Options
    I use 30g of oats cooked with water, then add cinnamon, walnuts, hemp seed, flax seed, mixed berries, a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses, and one further thing you won't add: Nonfat Greek yogurt. It's 562 calories, which works for me in maintenance. While losing, I skipped the flax and hemp seed, which drop a little over 100 calories.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I use 30g of oats cooked with water, then add cinnamon, walnuts, hemp seed, flax seed, mixed berries, a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses, and one further thing you won't add: Nonfat Greek yogurt. It's 562 calories, which works for me in maintenance. While losing, I skipped the flax and hemp seed, which drop a little over 100 calories.

OMG, me to! Except, no molasses (although it sounds great).

To be specific: I put 1C frozen berries, .5C quick oats .25C (~1os) walnuts, and .75C non-fat milk in a bowl. I microwave for 5 minutes on 60% power. Stir and set for a moment. Add .25C non-fat Greek yogurt. I call it "athlete's oatmeal," because it powers me for a full morning!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    How many g of oats do you use when making porridge for breakfast? How much does calories does your normal porridge workout as? What toppings do you like? Do you make it with water or milk?

I'm vegan so make it either water or soya milk

Whatever amount in grams is in the package of Quaker High Protein and Fiber instant oatmeal. The only one that I can "swallow" without gagging. I prepare it with 2/3 cup of FairLife 2% Protein cow milk, and some kind of fruit like blueberries or raspberries.

By the way, I only eat oatmeal once or twice a month.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    60g of rolled oats.
    5g of sugar.
    About a third of a small tin of evaporated milk.
    Make up to 330g with skimmed milk.

Microwave for 3 and a half minutes.

Calories - quite a lot. :smiley:
    It's one of my favourite breakfasts before a long cycle ride.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

OMG, me to! Except, no molasses (although it sounds great).

To be specific: I put 1C frozen berries, .5C quick oats .25C (~1os) walnuts, and .75C non-fat milk in a bowl. I microwave for 5 minutes on 60% power. Stir and set for a moment. Add .25C non-fat Greek yogurt. I call it "athlete's oatmeal," because it powers me for a full morning!

The right brand is quite high in potassium and iron. If you need more of those, and like oatmeal a touch sweet, maybe try it. Observation: Different brands taste quite different (more burnt, more licorice-y, whatever). So far, I like Wholesome brand best.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    25 grams steel-cut oats plus 25 grams whole buckwheat groats. Sometimes plus 10 grams flaxseed meal. Saturday mornings breakfast was pretty typical.
    54o1h4fxzp89.jpg
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I do 1/2 cup of oats and maybe a 1/4 cup of almond milk. A piece of fruit on the side. If I'm really hungry I'll have an egg on the side. It's usually only ~200 calories. But I don't usually eat breakfast anyway.
  • helen_goldthorpe
    helen_goldthorpe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    It depends what my plans for the day is. "Normal" is 80g of frozen berries, 60g oats and some water nuked in the microwave and then I stir about 150g of yoghurt in.

If I have a long ride I might go up to 80g oats, on a rest day I might go down to 50g. Fruit always stays the same, yoghurt goes up and down a bit in line with the amount of oats.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I just have it plain with water usually or with a few raisins or sultanas. 50g oats is a decent serving for me.