Fastest toning exercises recs needed

I am female, in my 30s and I have 20 kgs to lose. I just found out I will be donning a swimsuit in a month with my skinny in laws and I need to do something fast to look like moderately less of a bikini covered troll. I have lost 7kgs and been doing some yoga and some Jillian Michaels but I have had the flu twice since starting 2 months ago so i haven't gotten fit much. I have heard that weights are better than cardio to improve your general shape but where to start. Heavy weights, low reps? Low weight high reps? Is 20 minutes a day enough? Must it be longer like an hr? HIIT? HELP...... Calorie wise everything is under control and I am losing as expected. It appears as if I have lost most of the weight on my top half and I look badly out of proportion. I am dreading this holiday so much. But what's new.

Replies

• SlayLikeAWarrior
    SlayLikeAWarrior Posts: 89 Member
    I commend you for having lost 7kg so far. I don't know what your eating habits are, but if you do the following and remain discipline without slipping you may achieve or get close to your goal. This must include a 45mins/day physical activity. Eating Clean!
    1. Eliminate refined sugar from your diet
    2. eliminate processed wheat
    3. eliminate dairy
    4. eliminate all processed foods
    5. eliminate artificial sweetener, red meat, & alcohol
    6. Indulge in meals such as not so healthy food once a week in one of your meals, but in moderation.
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    There’s no need to avoid any of these things whilst losing weight or toning up! As long as you maintain a calorie deficit you can eat and drink whatever you like.

And you'll also feel like hell if you eat 1000 calories of Candy on a 1200 calorie diet... come on now... This isn't 100% about weight loss, there's some health considerations to make....

To OP: Just eat balanced, but you dont have to remove treats/rewards for yourself but it's worth it to be conscious of your decisions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited December 2019
    I commend you for having lost 7kg so far. I don't know what your eating habits are, but if you do the following and remain discipline without slipping you may achieve or get close to your goal. This must include a 45mins/day physical activity. Eating Clean!
    3. eliminate dairy
    6. Indulge in meals such as not so healthy food once a week in one of your meals, but in moderation.

You may wish to read the Clean Eating portions of https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/clean-eating-vs-iifym/ especially the part about white potatoes.
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    3. eliminate dairy

Absolute claptrap!

There’s no need to avoid any of these things whilst losing weight or toning up! As long as you maintain a calorie deficit you can eat and drink whatever you like.

Hey BarbaraHelen2013, that's fine if you disagree. But my response is based on the timeline julanig612 suggested and based on facts that I have witnessed. While I don't disagree with you in reference to calorie deficit, it will ultimately depend on her weight and height to determine what the calorie deficit should be in order to achieve her goal. However your suggestion will take her longer than a month to achieve her goal. As I have indicated, my suggestion will get her close, but probably not at 20Kg. Once again result will vary from person to person in terms of how long it will take each individual to lose the weight.

FYI, she didn't say anything about toning, but rather losing. Toning will come from lifting if she incorporates that as well.
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    puffbrat wrote: »

Nobody said OP or anyone else was eating 1000 calories of candy and there is nothing about that list that I would consider to be balanced. And neither that list nor your response actually address the OP.

Literally the quote of the person I replied to said "As long as you maintain a calorie deficit you can eat and drink whatever you like."... Did you catch that part or were you just looking for a debate?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    julanig612 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, Esp puffbrat for the helpful advice and links. I am happy to report that I don't eat most of my calories in sweets. I do have sugar with some regularity though.
    Perhaps it would have been more to the point to ask for toning tips. That does sound like what I am after. With regards to the attitude aspect. My in laws don't criticise but they do feel Hella sorry for me and express their sympathies for my poor fat self which I think is so much worse. Gah. But it is what it is. Hopefully this time next year things will be different. Just gotta keep chugging on. Will try some weight training though. Is circuit with cardio mixed in better?

My weight lifting performance improved dramatically when I stopped trying to do cardio with it, stopped trying to rush it, and switched to high weights/low reps.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I am female, in my 30s and I have 20 kgs to lose. I just found out I will be donning a swimsuit in a month with my skinny in laws and I need to do something fast to look like moderately less of a bikini covered troll. I have lost 7kgs and been doing some yoga and some Jillian Michaels but I have had the flu twice since starting 2 months ago so i haven't gotten fit much. I have heard that weights are better than cardio to improve your general shape but where to start. Heavy weights, low reps? Low weight high reps? Is 20 minutes a day enough? Must it be longer like an hr? HIIT? HELP...... Calorie wise everything is under control and I am losing as expected. It appears as if I have lost most of the weight on my top half and I look badly out of proportion. I am dreading this holiday so much. But what's new.

I promise that there will be people of EVERY SIZE IMAGINABLE on that beach with your skinny inlaws.

I encourage you to enjoy the sun, the sand and the water, and instead find a regular workout routine that you enjoy and do it regularly. Invite your skinny inlaws to join you; just cause they are skinny doesn't mean they're strong as well.

You be the judge of You, and let others be the judge of themselves. STick to your goals and the sweet taste of success you've already realized with that lost 7kgs.

good luck and enjoy the vacation.
  • SlayLikeAWarrior
    3. eliminate dairy

Absolute claptrap!

Hey BarbaraHelen2013, that's fine if you disagree. But my response is based on the timeline julanig612 suggested and based on facts that I have witnessed. While I don't disagree with you in reference to calorie deficit, it will ultimately depend on her weight and height to determine what the calorie deficit should be in order to achieve her goal. However your suggestion will take her longer than a month to achieve her goal. As I have indicated, my suggestion will get her close, but probably not at 20Kg. Once again result will vary from person to person in terms of how long it will take each individual to lose the weight.

FYI, she didn't say anything about toning, but rather losing. Toning will come from lifting if she incorporates that as well.

Are you reading a different post? Or maybe did not read the entire post? OP states she has the diet part under control and is losing weight. What she specifically was asking questions around had to do with exercising and what she might do, to look better and could it be done in a month. Op was not asking anyone to suggest how she should change what she was eating. Oh and I cannot imagine many people successfully long term, really follow that list you put together, but if you do, power to you.

LOL, thanks maureenkhilde. Thanks for the clarification!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Congrats on losing 7kg. It would be nice if all weight loss was even but it doesn't always quite work that way. Hopefully the amount you have lost will boost your mood and after any initial awkward comments you will be able to enjoy yourself.

The next 30 days will be a good time to keep reinforcing new habits and adding in some strength training which will pay off in time. That might give you an extra hit of confidence knowing you are taking charge and the future is bright.