Oatmeal: friend or foe?

2»

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I love oatmeal. I eat it every single morning. I like cooking it in milk and just add butter and brown sugar. Blueberries and pecans are good too.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    If you like plain ole oatmeal enjoy it. I prefer sugar free instant myself. My solution to lowering A1C (from 6.1 in May to 5.8 in November) has been to eat low, no or no sugar added foods as much as possible (just a matter of more label reading) and better, more consistent exercise which this year has been made possible by hip replacement surgeries. Good luck to you!
  • Boxn_n_Bellydancn
    Boxn_n_Bellydancn Posts: 171 Member
    I eat it everyday with no issues.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    Homemade oatmeal can be very healthy. Instant oatmeal has a lot of added sugar so may not be quite as good for you.
  • fuzzylop_
    fuzzylop_ Posts: 100 Member
    edited December 2019
    Homemade oatmeal can be very healthy. Instant oatmeal has a lot of added sugar so may not be quite as good for you.

Instant oatmeal doesn't necessarily have any added sugar. Instant flavored oatmeal has extra sugar. For example, the ingredients in instant unflavored oatmeal from quaker are oats, calcium carbonite (firming agent), salt, and reduced iron
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    I’m on a mission to lose weight and lower my A1C. Working on all the numbers, really. With a cold season already here, oatmeal sticks to the ribs, and warms me, fills me. I make it with almond milk and a dash of vanilla and cinnamon. Now , I see this You Tube guy saying I’m better off eating poison!! My A1C is a 6.1, and I don’t want it higher. What’s the thoughts on plain old oatmeal??

Plain ole oatmeal is a Friendly. Having baked batches of lactation chocolate chip cookies in the past 2 months with my sister for a friend whose nursing her newborn, a foe it most certainly isn't IMO.

I prefer mine savoury. My sister prepares mine with cardamom, cinnamon, cream cheese and berries.