Real or Artificial? The Christmas tree debate.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Real, hands down. Nothing beats that Christmas tree smell.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Artificial because Green Lives Matter.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    Bump
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I'm cool with a fake tree. I've had the same small white one since 2014 and will definitely use it for several more years at least.

My ex husband was hugely into real trees and we had one every year 2001-2011 (and a real wreath on the door too). It was a pain and a mess but it was definitely pretty and smelled great.

My current husband doesn't care at all and is fine with my cute little white tree w/ black & gold ornaments to match our living room. It's a big change from spending 3 days on our tree and elaborate decorations all over the house (with my ex) to now about 30 minutes putting a few things up & being finished with decorating! I like it that way but can understand the appeal for some of doing much more.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Had a real one a few times but we like having it up early, and its just easier to use a fake one and not worry about it drying up and making a mess.
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Sigh, this was the year, ordered a fake one. Had a real one as a kid, had a real one for first 34 years of marriage. Just the two of us now, and we folded.
    Read an interesting article on the artifical trees, more people than not, will get one that reminds them of the type of tree they liked best as children. Meaning, Pine, Fir, Spruce and even for those the many kinds.
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    I think this comes down to the individual. If your on your own, don't have a lot to spend every year, or are getting up there in years and can't carry your own tree, artificial works. I say real in every other setting though.
  • ninerbuff
    Tree up and lights done!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Dakase83
    Dakase83 Posts: 2,524 Member
    I am allergic to most trees, pine included. I'd like to stay alive so, artificial it is
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    There's nothing wrong with a Christmas tree from a farm but it's disposing of them after the holiday is over... Some folks recycle, many don't and they end up in the landfill. We just light one up outside and let it grow.

3beba4edf840c9f472c4d29ecfd69016.jpg
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Neither! Tree trimmings! Get them from a place like Whole Foods that sells breeds that don't shed. Build a "tree-pee" if you will, decorate, use only lights that don't heat up because it is dry branches and a fire hazard if you use the old fashioned lights and leave it on. Then for Yule, strip the tree and have yourself a bonfire!

Make use of "throw away" parts, have a pretty tree that smells great, enjoy a yuletide fire, and if you really love the earth compost your ashes to finish it off!
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Real! its my favorite part of the season to go with my husband and pick out a tree and then put it up, we get a different one each year Its also Hugos (golden retrievers) first christmas, he seems to like the real tree too :D

kc1rfdfghf1d.jpg
    ya75kjzkqwg7.jpg
  • erinkothman
    erinkothman Posts: 12 Member
    Artificial. We’ve got a big one and a small one.
  • terrordawg
    terrordawg Posts: 19,462 Member
    edited December 2019
    Always been artificial for me! Though I can understand the appeal of a real tree 😊

Just put mine up tonight

cfkh2gtporso.jpg

• Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,359 Member
    Artificial, because my wife is allergic to real ones
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    sadly, fake
    allergic to real :frowning:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Real. We go to a lot that is run by a family who has a tree farm in northern NM. The guy makes weekly runs to cut fresh trees for the lot, so the trees are always fresh and haven't been sitting around forever. We always put ours up the weekend after Thanksgiving and take it down shortly after New Years and never have a problem with shedding or the tree getting too dry. One year we bought a real tree at Costco to save a little money because the tree farm is a little pricey...worst mistake ever. That thing was dry and shedding within a few days of putting it up.
  • ninerbuff
    Bringing it back!!!! Bump

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,044 Member
    I prefer artificial
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Real. We go to a lot that is run by a family who has a tree farm in northern NM. The guy makes weekly runs to cut fresh trees for the lot, so the trees are always fresh and haven't been sitting around forever. We always put ours up the weekend after Thanksgiving and take it down shortly after New Years and never have a problem with shedding or the tree getting too dry. One year we bought a real tree at Costco to save a little money because the tree farm is a little pricey...worst mistake ever. That thing was dry and shedding within a few days of putting it up.

Same answer as my answer in 2019. We picked up our tree from Roybal's Trees like we do every year the weekend after Thanksgiving. This was our 18th year (minus the one Costco year). We used to live right around the corner from the lot and I'd put it on my shoulders and walk home with it. We live a few miles away now so I have to pick it up with the truck. I would personally avoid getting a tree from a big box store as you have no idea when they were actually cut. Anytime I've ever done that, the tree was dried out within a week or two. The trees we get from Roybal's easily make it through Christmas and don't start shedding until right around New Years.

I grew up with artificial and always wanted real. I think about doing artificial every now and then, but it's become such a family tradition to go to the lot that I don't think that'll ever happen. There's just something about having a cup of cocoa with Christmas carols, a bonfire going on the lot, and finding that perfect tree.