Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you define "Curvy?"

Replies

• s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    I was going say that visual aids are helpful
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Women seem to say “curvy” when they dislike their hip or bust size. Some clothing brands identify the actual measurement differences between styles like regular cut, slim cut, and curvy cut.
    Re: a comment van I’ve, I don’t consider 14-16 as “plus” size. They’re regular sizes. Plus sizes are 1x, 2x etc. which usually starts at size 18-20.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Women seem to say “curvy” when they dislike their hip or bust size. Some clothing brands identify the actual measurement differences between styles like regular cut, slim cut, and curvy cut.
    Re: a comment van I’ve, I don’t consider 14-16 as “plus” size. They’re regular sizes. Plus sizes are 1x, 2x etc. which usually starts at size 18-20.

I didn't "disagree" with your post - but I don't necessarily think the same way on this either.
    Most stores seem to consider regular misses sizes as ending with 12, and 14 begins the plus category.
    But I also think it's interesting a 12 or 14 at Lane Bryant (for example) is much larger than a 12 or 14 at other retailers like Eddie Bauer and Gap (in my past experience). I dunno the "answer" to this really.

I have also seen clothes labeled as 1X (14-16) or 1X (18-20). Confusing for sure!

Back on this topic, I had someone telling me recently that I'm too skinny to be considered curvy. This made me laugh as I am definitely NOT skinny. I currently wear 34DD bra and can only fit my size 10 pants if they have stretch or are cut to fit my WIDE hips. Some people really have it in their minds these days that curvy now means very large ladies.

Haven’t checked lately, but several years ago, a 16w was the same bust and hip size as an 18 misses. This would explain why a Lane Bryant 12(woman’s) is bigger than a Gap12 (miss).
  • sarabear500
    sarabear500 Posts: 10 Member
    Curvy is pear shaped or hourglass shape in my opinion. I'm pear shaped and even at my fittest (like 6 pack abs fit) I was a curvy girl. Pants never fit right. Too small in the booty but right hem length. Just right in the booty but too long in the hem length. I learned to sew pretty fast. When I think curvy I also think like brazillian girls. Most are curvy and thick and super fit. Break that one down!
  • conepass1
    conepass1 Posts: 4 Member
    Curvy to me is having an obvious change in proportion from one area to the next immediate area. Not shaped like SpongeBob. Can be a lighter fit person that is curvy or heavier/meatier person that is curvy and both are pleasing to the eye and most men.
  • Lobsterboxtops
    Lobsterboxtops Posts: 92 Member
    I would really like to take back the ‘curvy’ moniker for the hourglass shape. Even now that I still have some inches to lose in the midsection I still consider myself a curvy figure, I think it has more to do with the hip shape when it comes to pants.

It’s been a nightmare finding jeans to fit in the low and mid rise styles for the last 5-10 years. A curved cut would have a smaller waist in relation to the hips, and would avoid the dreaded gap of doom. We won’t even talk about those of us with a long torso and high natural waist.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    I would really like to take back the ‘curvy’ moniker for the hourglass shape. Even now that I still have some inches to lose in the midsection I still consider myself a curvy figure, I think it has more to do with the hip shape when it comes to pants.

It’s been a nightmare finding jeans to fit in the low and mid rise styles for the last 5-10 years. A curved cut would have a smaller waist in relation to the hips, and would avoid the dreaded gap of doom. We won’t even talk about those of us with a long torso and high natural waist.

That is so me. These "high waisted" pants still come below my belly button and probably a good inch or two below my waist.
  • VictoriaTuel
    VictoriaTuel Posts: 1,604 Member

That is so me. These "high waisted" pants still come below my belly button and probably a good inch or two below my waist.

This has become the most relatable thread I've seen in a while. I'm 5'8"/173cm with a .64 WHR, long legs, and a high waist and I gave up on pants that weren't stretchy a decade ago :lol: I have found exactly 1 "high-waisted" product that actually reaches my waist in my life; even the "super high waisted" jeans are inches away