Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

How do you define "Curvy?"

2»

Replies

• s131951s131951 Posts: 2,740Member Member Posts: 2,740Member Member
    I was going say that visual aids are helpful
  • whmscllwhmscll Posts: 2,164Member Member Posts: 2,164Member Member
    I have a 10 inch difference between my waist and hips but a small bust and a long torso. Nobody has ever described me as curvy.
  • vanityy99vanityy99 Posts: 891Member Member Posts: 891Member Member
    To me - curvy has always been an hourglass shape or shape as in photo— but I think the term has been co-opted as a more P.C. word for chunky +

2zalkps3ft0n.jpeg

I guess there’s levels to curvy. This girl is killin em.
  • NadNightNadNight Posts: 715Member Member Posts: 715Member Member
    Initially I thought curvy was almost synonymous to an hourglass shape with a waist measurement over 10 inches smaller than bust and hips. However I technically have an hourglass figure in measurements but I wouldn’t be described as ‘curvy’ as I’m more pancake like from the side 😂 so I think ‘curvy’ is an hourglass in 3D- fairly prominent boobs and bum rather than a shape purely from bone structure
  • lorrpblorrpb Posts: 10,825Member Member Posts: 10,825Member Member
    Women seem to say “curvy” when they dislike their hip or bust size. Some clothing brands identify the actual measurement differences between styles like regular cut, slim cut, and curvy cut.
    Re: a comment van I’ve, I don’t consider 14-16 as “plus” size. They’re regular sizes. Plus sizes are 1x, 2x etc. which usually starts at size 18-20.
  • seltzermint555seltzermint555 Posts: 9,925Member Member Posts: 9,925Member Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Women seem to say “curvy” when they dislike their hip or bust size. Some clothing brands identify the actual measurement differences between styles like regular cut, slim cut, and curvy cut.
    Re: a comment van I’ve, I don’t consider 14-16 as “plus” size. They’re regular sizes. Plus sizes are 1x, 2x etc. which usually starts at size 18-20.

I didn't "disagree" with your post - but I don't necessarily think the same way on this either.
    Most stores seem to consider regular misses sizes as ending with 12, and 14 begins the plus category.
    But I also think it's interesting a 12 or 14 at Lane Bryant (for example) is much larger than a 12 or 14 at other retailers like Eddie Bauer and Gap (in my past experience). I dunno the "answer" to this really.

I have also seen clothes labeled as 1X (14-16) or 1X (18-20). Confusing for sure!

Back on this topic, I had someone telling me recently that I'm too skinny to be considered curvy. This made me laugh as I am definitely NOT skinny. I currently wear 34DD bra and can only fit my size 10 pants if they have stretch or are cut to fit my WIDE hips. Some people really have it in their minds these days that curvy now means very large ladies.
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Posts: 2,687Member Member Posts: 2,687Member Member
    lorrpb wrote: »

I didn't "disagree" with your post - but I don't necessarily think the same way on this either.
    Most stores seem to consider regular misses sizes as ending with 12, and 14 begins the plus category.
    But I also think it's interesting a 12 or 14 at Lane Bryant (for example) is much larger than a 12 or 14 at other retailers like Eddie Bauer and Gap (in my past experience). I dunno the "answer" to this really.

I have also seen clothes labeled as 1X (14-16) or 1X (18-20). Confusing for sure!

Back on this topic, I had someone telling me recently that I'm too skinny to be considered curvy. This made me laugh as I am definitely NOT skinny. I currently wear 34DD bra and can only fit my size 10 pants if they have stretch or are cut to fit my WIDE hips. Some people really have it in their minds these days that curvy now means very large ladies.

Haven’t checked lately, but several years ago, a 16w was the same bust and hip size as an 18 misses. This would explain why a Lane Bryant 12(woman’s) is bigger than a Gap12 (miss).
  • sarabear500sarabear500 Posts: 10Member Member Posts: 10Member Member
    Curvy is pear shaped or hourglass shape in my opinion. I'm pear shaped and even at my fittest (like 6 pack abs fit) I was a curvy girl. Pants never fit right. Too small in the booty but right hem length. Just right in the booty but too long in the hem length. I learned to sew pretty fast. When I think curvy I also think like brazillian girls. Most are curvy and thick and super fit. Break that one down!