Went 5000 cals over maintenance

Options
Milax19
Milax19 Posts: 15 Member
edited December 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
So yes
Ughh Will this be a problem? Will it affect progress? I’m 35 days into my weight loss journey. I don’t feel that bad for some reason but again I’m just worried if it will affect the progress? I’m gonna hit legs in few minutes so maybe after that session I might feel bit better. Idk...😞
I did lose little weight from my waist, Will I gain this back cause I went over my cals?

Replies

• tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Once or twice is not really gonna effect as long as you buckle down and dont keep doing it. You will likely "gain" a couple pounds however. Water weight/sodium retention and if you've been low carb and you ate a bunch of carbs will increase weight too.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but at worst it will set back your weight loss a few days.

Probably won't matter a whole lot. You may retain a bit, but it's more likely it will drop back off in a few days.

Are your calories set really low? That's quite a bit over...although to be fair I regularly go over weekly maintenance calories by 2000-3000. As long as I stop doing it all is well, and I've been at this for a very long time so I know within a few hundred calories what my Maintenance is.

Do you know for a fact you're 5000 over? How did you get your Maintenance numbers?
  • Milax19
    Options
    tony56pr wrote: »
    Once or twice is not really gonna effect as long as you buckle down and dont keep doing it. You will likely "gain" a couple pounds however. Water weight/sodium retention and if you've been low carb and you ate a bunch of carbs will increase weight too.

Thanks for ur reply. I hope that... My carbs re set to 140 grams.
  • Milax19
    Options
    I don't know, but at worst it will set back your weight loss a few days.

Probably won't matter a whole lot. You may retain a bit, but it's more likely it will drop back off in a few days.

Are your calories set really low? That's quite a bit over...although to be fair I regularly go over weekly maintenance calories by 2000-3000. As long as I stop doing it all is well, and I've been at this for a very long time so I know within a few hundred calories what my Maintenance is.

Do you know for a fact you're 5000 over? How did you get your Maintenance numbers?

Thanks for ur reply! Yeahhh.... my cals are set to 1400 cals per day. The rate of losing is set to 0.2kg per week. I only have about 7 to lose weight. I’m not over weight or anything. I’m just unhappy about my body and I want that “toned” look. On Mfp it says my maintenance level without any activity is 1700 cals.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    What did you eat to eat close to 7000 calories in a day? That is a lot of food. Sometimes when we have a big day, we think we ate 700 calories but maybe it was really only 3000-4000.

But assuming your numbers are correct, both in your calorie intake and your daily calorie levels, then yes, a binge that big will set you back some, since you are already at slim margins. It's unclear if your body truly absorbs all of the calories on a big binge like that, but even if it doesn't, it could still set you back at least a couple of weeks to get back to where you were beforehand. It is not the end of the world, but if you are targeting .25 KG a week, big days can really stop progress dead in its track.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Meh. Life goes on. It’s one day out of 35 so far. So 34 days on track vs 1 off day. Will it reflect on the scale and probably result in no loss/a gain this week. Probably. But so what? It’s just one day, it’s just one week without a loss. You move forward and get back on track.

Weight loss is about persistence, not perfection.
  • Milax19
    Options
    Thank you guys for ur replies! I will keep moving forward...... I messed up yesterday and today but tomorrow I will do better. That’s a promise to myself. Thanks everyone x
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    If it does affect your progress (progress toward what? You didn't say what your goal is), what are you going to do, just give up? That will affect your progress even more. The damage is done. All you can do is continue with your plan.

Edited to fix stupid auto correct.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    For me there are two things that work:
    1) Get back on track the next day. (Dont turn a mess up day into a week, month...). Be super disciplined. Get back on track A.S.A.P. Start right now. Not later. N.O.W.

2) Smile and revel in your mess up day. Dont feel guilty about eating the entire pizza. Think, "Ok. Got that out of my system. Back on track. And DAMN that pizza was gooooooood." Close your eyes and remember how delicious the pizza was....

So get back on it. But you might as well enjoy it!