Vegans, what did you eat today?

Replies

• redgrudge19
    redgrudge19 Posts: 10 Member
    Hi everyone!! I’m inspired to see many non-vegans embracing vegan eating for health and other reasons. I’m a 10+year vegan. My diet is fairly repetitive, but I’m ok with that:). Yesterday I enjoyed delicious baked tofu and a great salad with chickpeas and nutritional yeast. I’ve switched recently away from so much tofu (one of my fave foods) to tempeh for calorie/fat reasons. Tempeh is amazing!! Happy vegan eating to you all!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Great thread! I am vegan and have learned that to sustain it, I have to balance my meals so that I get enough protein and iron. I also need to supplement with b-12.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Mushroom & lentil stew (with carrots and spinach) for lunch with Breton white bean crackers. Left over from dinner last night and even better today. :)
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Ooh, thanks, for a while I forgot about the nutritional yeast I'd bought.

Must look into some protein powder to give me more kilojoules.

It seems I eat all day but I'm full, and still losing weight.

I'm in maintenance, but this week my moving daily average weight has dropped 2 kg.

(Probably not much of that would be body fat, but I'll be keeping a close eye on things.)
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Good post. Can't believe I haven't seen it for weeks. I'm plant based but still eat fish about once per month.

Tonight we had a Buddha bowl with fresh greens, Jasmine rice, roasted green beans, BBQ tempeh, roasted red peppers, chickpeas, cilantro, tomatoes and pepitos with peanut sauce (peanut butter, coconut cream, sriracha, soy sauce, garlic, salt - would have added fresh lime juice but I was out).

I didn't love tempeh until I learned to cook it properly. I boil it for 10 minutes which removes the bitter flavor. Then I usually sautee with a sauce. Tonight I sauteed it with bbq sauce. Tempeh has a great, meaty texture and takes on the flavor of the sauce.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Hi Orphia! I'm totally vegan due to health reasons and I follow this doctor's books (Amazon has them) and his website: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/mcdougall-recipes/.

He uses no meat, fish, dairy, eggs, added oil and very little added sugar.

Today I had baked burritos for lunch: 2 whole grain 10" tortillas, 1/4 cup fat-free refried beans, 1/4 cup cooked brown Minute Rice, and 1/4 cup oil free chunky salsa, divided between the two tortillas. Put them on a parchment paper covered sheet and bake in 450F degree oven (232C, gas mark 8 ?) for about 5 to 7 minutes, until browned on top. Flip and check for browning on bottom. Cook a few minutes longer if necessary to achieve degree of brown-ness you like. Let cool for about 10 minutes before eating or you'll burn your mouth!

Hope this helps!
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Yesterday I mashed half a roasted acorn squash with 2 small new potatoes, had some steamed green beans on top with brussel sprouts on the side.
    Tonight I will have 2 new potatoes mashed, a roasted ear of corn with the kernels cut off on top of the mash, 2 heads of broccoli on the side.
    During this time of year I often make a veggie stew; I just throw a bunch of veggies into a pot of veggie broth and add seasonings all willy nilly.
  • AuddAlise
    It’s a little late to implement but one of the niftiest Thanksgiving ideas I’ve seen for vegans involved a whole roasted stuffed pumpkin. It makes a nice holiday themed centerpiece for everyone to cut into instead of the big bird, and the stuffing soaks up the pumpkin juices. Stuff with half stuffing and topped with protein of choice.

I've done this was a larger acorn squash and it was DELICIOUS!
  • RCPV
    Cerdwin wrote: »
    Yesterday I mashed half a roasted acorn squash with 2 small new potatoes, had some steamed green beans on top with brussel sprouts on the side.
    Tonight I will have 2 new potatoes mashed, a roasted ear of corn with the kernels cut off on top of the mash, 2 heads of broccoli on the side.
    During this time of year I often make a veggie stew; I just throw a bunch of veggies into a pot of veggie broth and add seasonings all willy nilly.

Yum! Comfort food to the max.
  • AuddAlise
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Mushroom & lentil stew (with carrots and spinach) for lunch with Breton white bean crackers. Left over from dinner last night and even better today. :)

Might I get your recipe for the lentil mushroom stew? I love both!
  • draughn4us
    draughn4us Posts: 1 Member
    I was checking for protein grams in food. Found that chia seeds have 17 grams for 1 tsp. I'm going to incorporate more in my meals.
  • RCPV
    draughn4us wrote: »
    I was checking for protein grams in food. Found that chia seeds have 17 grams for 1 tsp. I'm going to incorporate more in my meals.

Wow, really? How about hemp seeds? Love them.
  • cbailey989
    cbailey989 Posts: 13 Member
    When I was nursing, my daughter was dairy and soy intolerant. I frequently had coconut yogurt with a pea protein powder mixed in, makes for a quick breakfast.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    RCPV wrote: »
    draughn4us wrote: »

Wow, really? How about hemp seeds? Love them.

Um, no. 1 teaspoon of chia seeds only weighs 4 grams, so it’s not physically possible for it to contain 17 grams of anything. An entry I found says .8 g per tsp which seems more plausible. A tablespoon is 3 teaspoons so that can’t weigh 17 either.

One ounce of chia seeds (which is about two tablespoons) has four grams of protein. So I would not count chia seeds as a great source of protein.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Vegan Pulse Penne Pasta

Ingredients: Pulse Penne Pasta (Aldi brand made of peas, chickpeas, borlotti beans, & lentil flour), pumpkin, edamame, tomato, red capsicum, chilli, vegan cheese probably made of plastic, spring onion, olive oil, salt.

It took about 30 minutes to prepare, cook, and serve in the storage containers.

Nuked the pumpkin and edamame.
    Boiled the pasta in a pan of water on the stove then drained it, put in everything else, then served in containers for freezing.
    Made it look traditional by adding the spring onion and plastic-looking bio cheese (I’d rather not think about the mental picture that name gives me).

Approx 1300 kilojoules per serve.

bidy51smj8cg.jpg

4yhbbpqbb4uh.jpg

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    For lunch I made grilled chickpea sandwiches with a garlic-cashew spread, a quick cucumber pickle, romaine and tomato. Omg it was so very good. The chickpeas really made the sandwich hearty.