Flavors of Childhood?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    eqxrm9bqcjqb.png

Did anyone else used to eat the cresent/biscuit dough raw?? Lolll

I'd never heard or seen cookie dough or butter dough been eaten raw until I came to the US. Raw veggies, yes. Raw flour plus plus pre-baking, never.

woo
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    So much nostalgia here! These posts have reminded me of these:
    Vienna sausages, homemade Chex mix (planning to make this soon!), cinnamon toast, English muffin pizzas, soybean school burgers

I also remember: Golden Grahams, grape nuts mixed into yogurt, Godfather’s pizza, hard butterscotch candies, hot chicken salad casserole, dump cake, and our family had this special breakfast thing where we would take hot biscuits and dip them into a whipped up mixture of light Karo syrup and cold margarine—so bad but so good!! Candies—those chalky little edible cigarettes, dinosaur egg jawbreakers, Nerds, Tiny Tarts (Tart n Tinies?), Tangy Taffy

I’m sure there are more...
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Pierogis ! Made some today in the air fryer and reminded me of childhood. We are a polish family and used to make homemade ones with my grandma every Christmas. 0cmpljhpnikm.jpeg

This is the first time I've really wanted an air fryer! Those look awesome. I'm half Slovak and pierogis were also a regular meal growing up.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Pierogis ! Made some today in the air fryer and reminded me of childhood. We are a polish family and used to make homemade ones with my grandma every Christmas. 0cmpljhpnikm.jpeg

This is the first time I've really wanted an air fryer! Those look awesome. I'm half Slovak and pierogis were also a regular meal growing up.

You can make these in a pan with a drop of oil or oil spray.
    You can make them in the oven, same idea.

LOL
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    eqxrm9bqcjqb.png

I'd never heard or seen cookie dough or butter dough been eaten raw until I came to the US. Raw veggies, yes. Raw flour plus plus pre-baking, never.

woo

:laugh:
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited December 2019
    Anybody remember Ribbon Candy, my mom always had some out during the holidays. I believe they still make it. No wonder I always had so many cavities as a kid. :/
  • pancakerunner
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Anybody remember Ribbon Candy, my mom always had some out during the holidays. I believe they still make it. No wonder I always had so many cavities as a kid. :/

l3844anff5vs.png
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    eqxrm9bqcjqb.png

I always get a craving for plain Pillsbury crescents around the holidays. I never had the dough raw but I actually like the taste the best a day or two after when the rolls are cold Right from the fridge. I think because that’s how I used to eat them as a kid lol.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    eqxrm9bqcjqb.png

Missin' out.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

l3844anff5vs.png

My grandparents always had this mix in their candy dish.
  • pancakerunner
    eqxrm9bqcjqb.png

I always get a craving for plain Pillsbury crescents around the holidays. I never had the dough raw but I actually like the taste the best a day or two after when the rolls are cold Right from the fridge. I think because that’s how I used to eat them as a kid lol.

The dough eaten raw has a salty taste... idk but I love it
  • pancakerunner
    1yry33r22eo8.jpg
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    eqxrm9bqcjqb.png

It is such a texture thing for me when I eat dough. I love the texture of it, so it doesn't matter as much the taste.
  • pancakerunner
    eqxrm9bqcjqb.png

It is such a texture thing for me when I eat dough. I love the texture of it, so it doesn't matter as much the taste.

Yes! It's like a spongey/elastic texture... marshmallowy
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited December 2019
    I remember having these:

lj7mmlyx0co6.png

x8sxaemuar94.png
    1u9rcz5jj98z.png

Also, we had fondues too
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Girl scout thin mints. Now I get fatter just looking at the box.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    1yry33r22eo8.jpg

I LOVE these! This time of year Hickory Farms always has the bigger ones. Creamy peppermint is so good!
  • pancakerunner
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    1yry33r22eo8.jpg

I LOVE these! This time of year Hickory Farms always has the bigger ones. Creamy peppermint is so good!

My grocery store sells the bigger (and smaller) ones year round... I can't be trusted around a bag. I'll polish it off!
  • pancakerunner
    erxilk59aoxr.jpg

wow... just got a really weird craving for this.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member

corned-beef-cabbage-www.seasonedkitchen.com_.jpg
    you can find the recipe here:
    https://www.seasonedkitchen.com/moms-corned-beef-cabbage

east-carolina-chicken-salad.jpg
    chicken salad most times on saltine crackers but sometimes, as a special treat on ritz crackers or even on a croissant

Sausage and egg sandwiches
    n3E7FGY.jpg

symons-polish-boy-kielbasa-sandwiches-XL-RECIPE0616.jpg?itok=ni7hT0ZB
    Polish sausage and fries