Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Thin Privilege or Lifestyle Consequences

124»

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    YouTube offered me this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPiLFakIUCM&t=107s

He's a lot calmer.

I lost interest after 2 minutes.
  • Ziggyiguana82
    Ziggyiguana82 Posts: 29 Member
    Ninkasi wrote: »
    Disclaimer: I like Alan Roberts and EDDF.
    aokoye wrote: »
    It's as if medical and/or mental health professionals who have PhDs can't have opinions that are seperate from their practice/the practice they're working in.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I have a PhD (in chemistry) and am paid to render professional opinions. People make decisions and deploy assets based on my conclusions. I know how important facts are and how damaging unsubstantiated opinion can be.

When you are in a position where you are paid for your professional opinion (which doctors/mental health professionals definitely are too) you can't deal in anecdotal reports, they lower your credibility. Do I have opinions on things? Sure, but if I don't have the facts behind me I don't say them out loud. Even if the doctor he references was writing in good faith, she's lowering her credibility.

My husband has a PhD in Biomedical Science and agrees with you whole heartedly. Given the fact his research can and will affect those for whom he's doing the research, his opinions do not matter, only numbers based on his reporting.
  • Ziggyiguana82
    Ziggyiguana82 Posts: 29 Member
    NormInv wrote: »
    although i agree with this fella mostly, he is way too angry and emotional, its like he has unresolved baggage from his fat days, its like he actually believes in thin privilege.....you know like some closeted gay people are so strongly against gay people

Exactly. Those who are most guilty point the finger and yell the loudest to deflect attention elsewhere.
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    @aokoye Absolutely. I can't believe 10 people disagreed with you. Tools.
  • chelleedub
    chelleedub Posts: 50 Member
    This hulked up mansplainer is speedtalking (hmmm) about obese people complaining about not being able to fit between restaurant tables. Um ... you're considered obese once you hit size 14. And no one's complaining, but yes, thin privilege does exist. This dude is angry because his short, tiny girlfriend not being able to find jeans in her size and dealing with jealousy over her shape. Boohoo. Well, envy is part of being attractive and posting hateful videos on Youtube, sucka.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I read him as a new evangelist - something he had a problem with and now fixed and projecting his self disgust of his former self onto others not as "evolved" as his present self. This may start out as empathetic at first, ....[etc.].

Thank you for the bolded. I could never understand what is the switch in the brain that makes certain former "sinners" (obese, gamblers, you name it) so inhumanely aggressive towards people currently suffering from the same, and I feel you nailed it and probably a lot of the time it is disgust and loathing to their former selves.

Where I disagree is the word empathetic - this is so very much not what empathy means. Empathy towards anyone almost precludes disgust and loathing.
  • NoLimitFemme
    NoLimitFemme Posts: 118 Member
    I agree with the video. I'm a huge advocate of personal responsibility. I'm heading to YouTube to follow thus channel. :)
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    years ago, a woman ran a red light that the other driver didn't notice and i hit her because it truly was unavoidable. i was about 180 pounds at 5'3", the woman who hit me was well dressed, slim and pretty. the lawyer my insurance company gave me said that in many cases he's been involved in, the jury, judge or other adjudicator started off with a strong better impression of the thinner person as long as they were reasonably well dressed, which mystified him since he worked only on auto accidents.