WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    morning ladies.. I am up, did the dishes took Trudy and I 10 min to hook the loveseat up.. the other guy came or my other loveseat.. i have an invite to another party ,but think i will not go 2 days in a row is enough. will do a bit of grocery chopping and need to get another harness or Alfie the one he has is to loose.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, my friends,

Thank you for the lovely comments on my before/now. For those who don't know my story, I had gastric bypass about 2 months after that "before" photo, lost 165 pounds, and divorced my neglectful husband of 27 years (because losing weight that fast widens every fissure already existing in a relationship). Remarried a year and a month after I left him, to the amazing man who was in my Christmas photo, and we've been married for a bit over a decade now. :)

In my ensuing happy life with this amazing man, I've gained back about 65 pounds. Am still 100 pounds lighter than my before, but I want to get at least 50 of those gained pounds back off. Not all of them, you'll notice--honestly, once I got below 140 pounds, I was exhausted and sick all the time. But I would like to range between 150 and 160 on a permanent basis. That's the notion anyway. :)

@lindaporter2018 , @Rebeccaredmond1 , @tmbg1 , welcome to you all! Please come back and post often. It's a fast-moving thread, but each month we start anew. Don't feel you must reply to everyone, but if you feel you can let us know about where you are and what you'd like us to call you, it helps us keep everyone straight.

Am going into my fourth day of keto, lost the top couple of pounds, and feeling I can maintain this for quite some time. Many people (like our Mary) stay on it quite successfully year in, year out. Allie's also been quite successful over this last year. I lost 41 pounds on a variation of it in 2018 as well, but after about six months, fell WAY off the wagon. Been watching a lot of documentaries lately--and the one on Fat: A Documentary, has been one of the best. It's available on Amazon Prime, and was well worth the watch. Lots of information.

Off to Walmart to pick up a few things that will make staying on keto more easy... want to try a little baking with some of the various recipes I'm finding. :)

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Edit to add: SuziQ - I think whether you post long posts or a series of short ones pretty much falls under the golden rule. What would you prefer to read? If it's a series of shorter ones, then rock on! :wink:
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hi Lanette.

I do agree with you. And, yes, the VP tells these gals all of the time the value they bring to the table. I think it's a combination of personal issues and the stress of the holidays. And, one of the gals is just one of those people - she brings things up from the distant past (3-4 years) and talks about them like they happened yesterday with the same emotion (not just a story and the learning experience - the full "hurt").

I coach where I can and really do not expect either to say anything to me. If the time comes when I can have a quiet talk with them, I will. If that time does not present itself, all is good on my end. I have gotten to a point where I do not dwell too much on these things because holding on to the dark only makes our lives shorter and makes us blind to the happiness we can have every day.

SuziQ

Boy this quote is so relatable at my work place. I like your attitude and will remember it this week—I’m supporting a very negative colleague at a concert Tuesday and would like to be in a lighter place going in and stay that way going out!!

NYKAREN
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    👋👋
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    klanders30 wrote: »
    Boy this quote is so relatable at my work place. I like your attitude and will remember it this week—I’m supporting a very negative colleague at a concert Tuesday and would like to be in a lighter place going in and stay that way going out!!

NYKAREN

Karen - I have gotten so "bad/good" over the years, if the timing is right sometimes I just say, oh, yes, you have told me that before. Let's discuss your ideas on making it better, easier, etc. and let's see if we can incorporate them and/or work on incorporating them. The result goes in one of two ways, they make suggestions or just stop with the negativity. :smile: Either way I am much happier.

There is so much freedom in staying true to ourselves like Terri and Cheri mentioned.

Here's to Miss Negativity coming in with a good state of mind! And, if not just smile. She may not like it but you will definitely feel better spreading your joy.

Hugs!
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    @SuziQ113 said... I have gotten to a point where I do not dwell too much on these things because holding on to the dark only makes our lives shorter and makes us blind to the happiness we can have every day.
    I feel exactly the same way. Especially about negative emotions. I acknowledge them, then move on. I’m working on reframing the negative, and changing my thought processes.

As for the nay-sayers and moaning minnies! If anyone has a problem with me, I reckon that it’s their problem, not mine. I’ve worked on changing from being a people pleaser to being a Terri pleaser. Very liberating!!!

😍😍😍 That layered fudge!!!

I think as women we are born nurturers and many times fail to nurture ourselves. Growing up and watching my mother's experience was a big life lesson for me. I started recognizing me in my 20s by celebrating my birthday every year with a present or experience bought by me for me. Mom also always said to me, "Suzi, there are shades of grey in life, be sure to recognize them.". This one is probably the most difficult for me since I have always been black and white person. I have come to recognize the grey and try to see other's viewpoints and understanding why they do certain things. But the long and short - I do what is best for me while not being hurtful to others. It is extremely liberating.

The fudge recipe is a head turner. Both festive and delicious. It's one of my favorites around this time of year. Those that do not typically like chocolate actually compliment it - I think it's the mix of white chocolate (which isn't chocolate at all) that cuts down on the chocolate taste.

:smile:
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @barbiecat Thanks for the shout out. Nice to be back on board. Day w no classes errands or appointments is a good day! I have several whiny friends at present. France is known for complaining. People say it's a national sport and then complain (like me!) about complainers.

@LisaInAR Wow! awesome progress! congratulations! Keto seems hard for me. I'm totally GF, and though they are totally compatible (cause gluten is mostly in carbs) so having another limitation sometimes makes life on the go hard to manage. Some of you seem to do so well at it. I think I could possibly manage better in warm season. Or little by little learn to find and make many substitutes for carbs.

@Katla49 also thanks for the shout out; wow, shingles at the end of life sounds miserable.

@cityjaneLondon maybe your step daughter doesn't like driving that much either. ha, ha! you don't like xmas music! do they play it a lot there? here, really not much. maybe your DH can just get a garden salad or something like that for dinner.

@auntiebk you've got lots of xmas stuff going on! good listeners are worth a ton. Linedancing must be fun.
    I tracked today and yesterday and ate way too much both days. not bingy nor unhealthy food choices one by one, but just too much all together.

I walked about 40 min, slowly ambling and I cleaned about 30 min or so so that's something.

I took the day off form work almost entirely. I wanted to stay off line but didn't do so.
    Went food shopping and got some: bananas, apples, cuke, frozen organic veggie purée (not expensive), coconut water, kombucha, crackers, soy garlic herb spread, hummus, ice cream, sorbet, frozen cake-y think, low fat beef patties a bottle of wine, soy milk, soy yogurt, a coconut mango dessert (Called yogurt but had no soy nor dairy and barely any protein!!) a bottle of water and probably other things I forgot.

breakfast: oatmeal, squash seed protein powder apple sauce and frozen bluebs for breakfast, expresso, w tsp of sugar

lunch: crackers, bread, soy spread, banana, apple, carrots, cuke, apple sauce for lunch, 2 glasses of coconut milk, decaf expresso w tsp of sugar, and a dollop of milk

dinner: celeri root purée w drizzle of olive oil, 100 g of frozen fruit sorbet dessert, 1 apple 1 banana

way too much carbs you can see

my goal today was 1200 calories and 76g carbs
    and I've had 2000 calories and 290g carbs !

Glad I walked and cleaned just a tad today anyway and didn't work much. And ate a fair bit of veggies.

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Michele: “We only have15 totes of extension cords . . .” Wow! You’ve got a beautiful home and lots of ground. I’ll bet your light display will be the best in the neighborhood. :star:

Rebecca Redmond1: Welcome! :smiley:

Rebecca: My dad was Navy, a Sea Bee in WWII. My son is active duty Army. May the best team win. :wink:

Irish Terri: Beautiful light display!!! :smiley:

SuziQ: The bike build for children in distress sounds like a fun and worthy project. WTG!!! :flowerforyou:

Machka: I haven’t seen any recent news about the volcano eruption in New Zealand. I hope your friends there are safe and have had no loss of friends and family nor serious property damage. :star:

Viv UK: The train ride on the Northern Lights steam train sounds like fun. :bigsmile:

Barbara: Tomorrow will be my Powell’s day. DH refuses to go because he isn’t feeling well. I really want to see the books myself so I’ll go then. I like the idea of Monday better becaue I think there may be fewer shoppers and possibly easier parking. Wish me luck on parking and shopping. :smiley:

Machka: I love your tree! We’ll be bringing ours in on 12/19. Since it is a living tree we don’t want to keep it inside too long. We currently have a tiny forest of little fake trees all over the house. Outside lights are up. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Carol.....

Here it is.

ew2zst2kl4io.png

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😄
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Did a Pilates Plus DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to take the extremepump class.

M – the reason for the three gifts is because I don’t want anyone going overboard. I know Jess can’t afford much, I’d even be happy with a gift certificate for a hug. In the past, she has given more than three presents, so that’s the reason I’ve limited it to only three.

Yea me…I’m FINALLY down to the weight I was when I went to DE when PJ was born. Oh goody….in time for the holidays. Maybe I should burn my mouth again….lol

M – perhaps you can answer this question for me. Maybe someone else can. How difficult (how much work) is it to program RGB lights?

Now Denise wants us to come up late in January after we take down the decorations. Vince just told her that we probably won’t even get the inside decorations taken down before we go to FL, so there is no way we can go up there. He did mention to her that she needs to see a psychiatrist or psychologist to get her anxiety under control. It’s definitely gotten worse. I can’t help but wonder if there may not be a bit of postpartum depression there. When having a baby starts to interfere with your life, isn’t that a sign of ppd? You know, a year ago in Feb. when we had Denise’s baby shower, I remember Maria saying to me that she couldn’t go to FL “with the baby on the way”. The baby wasn’t due until May and that was in Feb.! I wonder if she could have had some ppd and never gotten it taken care of. But really…the first step is to admit that you have a problem. And Denise won’t admit it, especially if Maria is telling her that her feelings are perfectly justified. Don’t do anything you feel uncomfortable doing. Regardless if it might hurt someone else, just be selfish.

Luci – we probably will wind up going to DE. If anything, definitely in May. We’ve found Memorial Day w/e works pretty well since we have an extra day to spend with them.

Ordered some bailing wire for Vince. I know…how romantic can you get??? Well, it’ll be for his stocking

Went to WalMart then came home. I think we’re finished with the decorations…at least the outdoor ones. Now Vince needs to be sure that the documentation he has is correct and he needs to test things out

The burned mouth was definitely an accident. But I had to look for the silver lining! It’s getting better. Unfortunately, that means that it doesn’t bother me all that much to eat.

Tmbg – welcome. I, too, used to be able to lose the weight quickly. But even as we get older it CAN be done…it just takes longer. You’ll get there. It's taken me since May to get back to the weight I was when PJ was born. 7 months! Now I'll probably put a few back on. Fortunately, this past May I didn't put that much on, but it still bothered me.

Bananas – I don’t think I could do keto…I love my fruits and veges way too much.

Katla – out of the 7 extension cords Vince bought, there are two 40 footers and one 50 footer left. In a sense, glad we’re done. I think something else I should get Vince would be more stakes. He was mentioning how we’re getting low on them (we only have three containers of them)

Just got a recipe for hot cocoa cookies. Looks good, I'll have to try them for Vince after the holidays.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Linda Porter: Good choice for choosing water instead of unplanned munching. WTG!!! :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    3vkoylwrwup2.jpeg
    Michele NC - My Doctor didn’t allow traveling after the 2nd trimester so probably not a sign of post partum more like Doctors now of days. I remember the Doctor pitching a fit because I wanted to travel 1 hour away for Thanksgiving...JR came early in March wasn’t due until later than that. We don’t travel with JR probably our age. With Daughter I was young full of life I would travel to see family . Of course Daughter was easy to travel with . JRs a nightmare to travel a small distance with (Guess the saying first kids the easiest rings true). Still anxiety isn’t always normal -pregnancy messes up some people’s hormones worse than others to even stresses them more. If it is post pardum she needs help . Here’s the main signs. If she just doesn’t want to travel until babies older that’s more a personal choice than anything.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    JR - maybe it isn't PPD. But her level of anxiety isn't normal. She doesn't even know how he'd be traveling. Well, she goes to Philly and she's never said anything about how PJ has a problem, so I assume that he's OK traveling. What if Pete were to be transferred. What does she say? "No, this may be your career, but I'm not going".

Michele NC