WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,229 Member
    Options
    Good Morning all.

Allie: Positive vibes for the job application
    Machka: Just watched the volcano footage on BBC News. Praying for the victims.
    Rori: My heart goes out to you. It's such a difficult decision to face. But it's best for both you and DH. It's not selfish, it's vital for your future well-being.

(((Hugs))) to anyone else going through difficulties.
    💕💖💕 To all!

🎄🤶 Gratitude for Christmas 🎅🏻🎄
    #1, 15 Nov: Scents: loved the smell of the roses I put into my Floral arrangement
    #2, 16 Nov:Technology: Glad that I had my car and didn’t have to stand in the cold waiting for a bus
    #3, 17 Nov: Colour: the colour of the beautiful sunset as I walked home in the late afternoon
    z8iz97lle1ip.jpg
    #4, 18 Nov: Food: Fresh produce form my own garden ..... or ....... Chocolate! 🍫 My ultimate comfort food.
    #5, 19 Nov: Sound: I'm grateful for the sound of DH moving about downstairs. It's very comforting.
    #6, 20 Nov: In Nature: I love the view of the night sky from my bedroom window on clear nights.
    #7, 21 Nov: Memory: This triggered a veritable avalanche of memories of my life, the happy moments crowding out the less pleasant ones. So... the memory I am most grateful for is my own selective memory, which chooses to focus on the positives, and reframe the negatives as learning experiences.
    #8, 22 Nov: Book: "Unlimited Power" by Tony Robbins. This book was a revelation to me and showed me that I was in charge of my life. It was pretty scary at first to accept responsibility for all my actions and decisions. It was no longer possible for me to blame others or make excuses. But it was such a positive turning point in my life. I revisit it often.
    #9, 23 Nov - Place: the place I am most grateful for is the quiet place in my head where I go when I meditate.
    #10, 24 Nov - Taste: Today grandson had made an experimental mulled wine drizzle cake. I was grateful that it tasted so good, (not all of his experiments turn out so well 😂) Fortunately, I always hold calories for my Sunday visit, so was able to fully enjoy his delightful concoction (NB: lemon drizzle cake is one of my favourites)
    #11, 25 Nov - Holiday: I love my annual week's family holiday on the West coast of Ireland with our DED and the grands. This year was our 24th year of these holidays. We started them with my DMiL when our granddaughter was just 8 months old. I am grateful that all 3 grands still want to come on these holidays with us.
    #12, 25 Nov, Texture: I love the feel of fresh soft fluffy towels after my shower.
    #13, 26 Nov, Abilities: I treasure my ability to be adaptable, and look for the positive in situations.
    #14, 27 Nov, Sight: I appreciate the sight of my husband bringing my tea in bed each morning. It means I can take my time waking up.
    #15, 28 Nov, Season: All the season's have their good points' but the spring is my favourite because it heralds the end of winter and the lengthening of daylight hours.
    #16, 29 Nov: I'm grateful that bones are strong. I have been very fortunate in that I have never had a broken bone. Long may that continue.
    #17, 30 Nov, Knowledge: I'm grateful the self-knowledge I have gained on this health and fitness journey. Now all I have to do is apply it! 😂
    #18, 1 Dec, Piece of art: Not sure why but found this one difficult. Settled on this. It a fire screen that my Nana embroidered. It sat in front of the fire in her sitting room. I rescued it when my aunt was about to throw it away after redecorating her apartment after my uncle had been taken into residential care with Alzheimer's. It means more to me than all the fancy paintings in the world.
    #19, 2 Dec, Touch: This morning I am so grateful for DH's hand on my shoulder when he woke me with my morning cuppa. He is the wind beneath my wings. In light the two bereavement last weekend, I am especially conscious of the fact that many of my contemporaries don't have that luxury.
    #20, 3 Dec, Person: I am most grateful for my DH. He puts up with all my foibles, and shows his affections in so many different ways. And he keeps me on an even keel. I'm fortunate that I have him in my life.
    #21, 4 Dec, Song: There are so many songs that I love. But 2 that I regard as my anthems are
    Girls just wanna have fun, Cindi Lauper which always has me up and dancing Tubthumping, Chumbawamba which has seen me through some down times #22, 5 Dec - Story: The first one that sprung to mind was "It's a Wonderful Life". I saw the film starring James Stewart as a child, and loved it. The second one that came to mind was "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens.
    #23, 6 Dec - Tradition: I'm grateful for our family tradition of all getting together at various times during the year, especially Christmas.
    #24, 7 Dec - Challenge: I'm grateful for several. The 'Just for today daily goals' Challenge focuses my mind daily on what I want to achieve, and the Ultimate Accountability Challenge has helped me build good habits.
    #25, 8 Dec - Moment this week: The moment I stepped on the scale and weight had dropped below. 150lbs. My weight goal for 2019 was 155.
    #26, 9 Dec - Form of Expression: That would be my poetry. I really get such a lot of joy from crafting a poem.

The misty moon sails high.
    Diffused luminescence sighs
    the music of the spheres,
    to any listening ear,
    but only I can hear.
    The dark world sleeping lies.
    Stillness fills the sky.
    The midnight hour drifts by.
    #27, 10 Dec - Small thing: My hearing aids 😂 It took me a while to accept that I needed them, but what a difference they make.

I'm off to my Craft Group in a hours time. It's our last meeting this year, so there will be Christmas 'treats' on offer. I will only have small bites.

May the day be kind to you! 💕💖💕

Pax vobiscum 🕊

☘️ Terri

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    rori hugs and healing strength are coming your way from all of us. One step at a time, let that word selfish fly away from you—it doesn’t fit your reality. Sending <3

NYKAREN
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Lanette,

WW was much healthier when I joined. It focused on veges and low fat meats. We had little check boxes to ensure we were getting enough vegetables, protein, water, fruits, and dairy. :smile:

I could not imagine surviving on toast and cottage cheese! I did develop the "fake" sugar habit and broke that about 2 years ago. Dropped 5 pounds when I gave it up. Now, I use organic sugar or raw honey in moderation. I tried others, but just do not like them.

Love the door bling. In SFL everything burns up (it was 82 yesterday) so it's a waste to put up any natural decorations. :(
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Heather - love the fireplace. It's beautiful.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You've probably all heard about the New Zealand volcano ... it's all over the news here. :(

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-10/new-zealand-volcano-eruption-white-island-australian-victims/11782860

Machka in Oz

I saw this yesterday morning after I logged off to get ready for work. Those poor folks - I cannot imagine the terror. Hopefully there is not much of an effect upon you. As soon as I saw it I was thinking of where you are located on the map to see if you would be in the "ash" line.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    SuziQ - We are very lucky to have a lot of original features from the 1920s in our house, the fireplace being one of them. We still have all the original doors and handles and some stained glass in the front door and two other rooms. I love it!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Rori - Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts and prayers. You are in no means being selfish. Both you and DH deserve the best care available. Big hug to you and please keep us posted.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Terri - I love your poems. They touch my heart.
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Day 26 - December 10
    I am grateful for the expression of songs. They can evoke sweet memories, strong emotions, feelings of joy, and times of reflection.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,943 Member
    Options
    We went through these 30 Days of Gratitude in November last year. Feel free to join in whenever you'd like ...

mozs13csyrr4.png
    Machka in Oz

All right ... it's mid November and this will take us through to mid December ... just in time for Christmas!! :)

Day 1 - November 15 - Smell: My sense of smell is limited and my husband no longer has a sense of smell (or taste) since his accident. However, I can catch a faint scent from the roses and freesias he has grown, which are all coming into bloom.

I'm thankful that he has been able to garden and that we have so many lovely flowers and veggies growing and blooming. :)

Day 2 - November 16 - Technology: My laptop, my phone, email, facebook ... the fact that technology exists! :) It's what I do ... it's what I learn ... it's how I communicate with family and friends.

Day 3 - November 17 - Colour: Well ... I'm thankful for the bright colours on my table. Especially since this spring has been quite gloomy. They make me smile. :)

Day 4 - November 18 - Food: I'm thankful for my weekday lunches ... chicken, rice and veg. :)

Day 5 - November 19 - Sound: How applicable! I just got my laptop connected to my stereo!! I am appreciating the nice soothing music in the evenings. :)

Day 6 - November 20 - Nature: All of it! I am very thankful that there is nature ... animals and plants, water, rocks, mountains, hills, all of it. I'm glad I live in a place where I can see and experience nature. I couldn't live in the middle of a large city. My ideal would be in a small town or right on the edge of a larger one so I could be surrounded by countryside in seconds.

Day 7 - November 21 - Memory: I'm thankful for memory. I'm thankful that my husband has some of his memory - he's pretty good at past memories and procedural memories. I'm glad he didn't lose that. I'm also thankful that, with a bit of effort, I've been able to improve my memory a bit. I've discovered that if I focus and work at it, I can remember people's names at least some of the time! I've had to be my husband's memory.

Day 8 - November 22 - Book: Most grateful ... the Bible. It's been a comfort to me, especially in recent times.

Also grateful for books in general.

The last 18 months I've switched to reading "children's" books. I've also found them comforting.

Day 9 - November 23 - Place: I'm thankful for my bed!! Although I'm not there nearly as much as I'd like to be, my bed has become one of my favourite places to be. There I can lose myself in books or sleep. :heart:

That said, I need to get a new pillow. Might have to see about doing that tomorrow if possible.

Day 10 - November 24 - Taste! Well, there are only 4 of them: salt, sweet, bitter, sour, and I've written them in order of preference. :)

I am thankful I have all 4 but I wish my husband did again.

Day 11 - November 25 - Holiday: How appropriate ... one month before Christmas. :) Christmas is my favourite public holiday. I'm love the music, the decorations, the food, the Christmas Carol evenings, the lights, and the celebration of Jesus birth. I'm thankful that we have a Christmas holiday.

As for holidays in general, I enjoy any opportunity to a) take time off work, and b) travel. I'm very thankful I live and work in Australia where I get quite a decent amount of holiday time. :)

Day 12 - November 26 - Texture: Smooth. Since the measles (?) in 2016, I need to wear very smooth clothes. I've been thankful to find such things at a good price.

And the soft texture of the fur of kitties. :)

Day 13 - November 27 - Abilities: I am very thankful for my organisational skills. I don't know how I would have survived with the past 20 months without them!!

Deep breath ...

Day 14 - November 28 - Sight: What sight am I grateful for?

The sight of all the roses and other flowers in our garden. :)
    The view from our dining room window out over the water. :)
    The beach my bus goes by morning and evening ... sometimes there is sea wildlife out there. I've seen dolphins, a stingray and a whale! :)
    The mountain behind the city. :)

Psalm 121
    A song of ascents.
    1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
    2 My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

Day 15 - November 29 - Season: Summer. I'm always thankful for summer! The warmth. The long daylight hours. I come alive in summer. :) One more day till summer!

Day 16 - November 30 - My Body: I'm thankful for my brain and my legs. My brain, because it often has to be a brain for two of us now and although it fails me now and then, I'm so glad things like my memory seem to have improved. And my legs because they are what carry me around and allow me to do things like cycling and running.

Day 17 - December 1 - Knowledge: Coincidentally, my current course is Knowledge Management. :) I appreciate everything I've learned through formal education, experience, and life in general. I'm especially thankful for being at a point where I feel reasonably comfortable around computers ... but can still learn more! Even just today, I learned how to add contacts into my phone.

Day 18 - December 2 - Piece of Art: Hmmm ... I am thankful for my sister-in-law's art and gifts to us. :) She has given us paintings, wood carvings, and vases.

One of her vases ...
    wxw16qqq2dk4.png

Day 19 - December 3 - Touch: My husband's hugs! There were a few months when I thought I'd never have his hugs again. His hugs were one thing I dreamt about during those months.

Day 20 - December 4 - Who in my life am I grateful for? My parents ... who have been so supportive of me through all I've done and been through. I love them both and hope that one day, in a few years, we'll be able to live closer to them again. :heart:

Day 21 - December 5 - What song am I grateful for? This is a really difficult one. I like music of all sorts!! And what I listen to on a particular day largely depends on my mood. I'm just generally thankful for music! :)

Day 22 - December 6 - What story am I grateful for? The Christmas story is special. And the little stories that make up our lives ... "Remember when ... " :)

Day 23 - December 7 - Tradition. Hmmm ... I don't do a lot of traditions, I don't think. My birthday weekend might be a new tradition. I've been actively doing that for the 10 years I've lived in Australia. At Christmas, I probably have the most traditions and I am thankful for them for the connections ...

Day 24 - December 8 - Challenge. The biggest challenge of my 52 years of life was when my husband had a workplace accident which resulted in a severe brain injury 20 months ago. I'm struggling to be thankful for that.

Challenges I am more thankful for are all the opportunities I've had to cycle long, long, long, ultra long distances. :) I hope to be able to dabble in that again.

Day 25 - December 9 - Moments This Week. In the 7 days that has passed, I'm probably most thankful for the at-home weekend during which time I was able to finish my first assignment for my current course.

Day 26 - December 10 - Form of Expression. Writing, I think. I write much better than I speak. I'm much more comfortable sitting down and writing something rather than talking to someone. I'd really miss the ability to write.

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    I just received the new flags for our cycling club!! :)

z53da246xdlk.png

Machka in Oz

You look great Machka!

Thank you! :)
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Well Ladies, I am back from a long weekend in the Bay area with my friends. My friend and I went to the annual factory sale for the glass company we love. Luckily, we go often enough that they allow us to come in a day early to better fit our schedule. We were also able to see two others sets of friends that live in the area and spend some time with them as well. It was a good weekend all around. This year was more low key than normal as my friend has an injured foot so we needed to take it easy and not run all day long from one place to another.

Today I am back and need to dive in to work....but I'm resisting for now. I just finished putting up the laundry so that part is caught up. Now on to putting up the stuff that came in the mail while I was gone.

Have a great day ladies - Hugs to those that need them!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    You've probably all heard about the New Zealand volcano ... it's all over the news here. :(

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-10/new-zealand-volcano-eruption-white-island-australian-victims/11782860

Machka in Oz

I saw this yesterday morning after I logged off to get ready for work. Those poor folks - I cannot imagine the terror. Hopefully there is not much of an effect upon you. As soon as I saw it I was thinking of where you are located on the map to see if you would be in the "ash" line.

The wind usually blows from west to east so it blows over Tasmania toward New Zealand ... so no ash here.

In fact, the smoke from the NSW and Queensland fires have reached New Zealand!

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/another-state-of-emergency-in-nsw-bushfire-season/news-story/6acce5cb42345f46569e2979dc4da505

And while the mainland is dealing with heat and fires, down here, a group of tourists with hypothermia from the snow and cold was rescued off a popular hiking route in a 3-day rescue attempt. The weather was so bad late last week and over the weekend that it was too hard for the rescue helicopters to get to them.

It's all happening down here in Australasia.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    (((SuziQ))) You sound strong and resilient to me. Transitions are hard.