Calories on Christmas Day

Options
I’m 50 days into my weight loss journey. I dont have a lot to lose. I currently weigh about 59kg and my goal is to lose fat and get “toned”. I messed up like 8 times since I started this journey but I didn’t let that stop me. Each time I messed up I went 500-2000 cals over maintenance. Maybe that’s why I haven’t seen noticeable progress idk..... I’m wondering do u need to count cals on Christmas Day? Wat do u think?

Replies

• bfuller873
    bfuller873 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m going to count them just so I know how off track I get. Christmas Eve is more of a temptation than Christmas Day for me so my plan is to use my exercise calories that I burn from my run today and tomorrow for Christmas Eve and Christmas instead of eating them back today and tomorrow.
  • ElleBellesTheoBear
    Options
    I’ll be counting because I feel like I’m missing a part of my day if I don’t lol

But I’m going to also enjoy the day. I’m currently on a 1200 cal diet so I plan on allowing max 2000 for the day lol let’s see how that goes :wink:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It's up to you if you feel like you need to count as accurate as you can, guesstimate or not log at all. Back when I was logging I never bothered to log holidays. Now I don't log anything, that works for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I don't weigh at family holiday meals, but I guess and I log, and try to be mindful. I rarely have seconds at these big holiday meals anymore - telling myself to save room for dessert works for me these days.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    This is an individual thing, and you need to do what works for you. Spending relaxed time with family and friends is important for your overall health, too.

That said, I'll be logging as I always do (except that there will be more estimating than on an ordinary day, since I don't take my food scale to other people's houses). I like having the data, and I also find that having to be aware of what I'm eating for later logging deters "mindless" eating or "wasting calories" on foods that I don't care that much for or that I can get anytime.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I won't count or log, but I will try to be moderate. I will try to plan out generally what I am going to eat. Something like "For breakfast, I'll have a bowl of oatmeal and a boiled egg around 9am. Then I won't eat again until lunch and for lunch I will eat whatever I want, but make sure I sit down to eat it and won't go back for seconds. Wait until dinner time to eat again. Again, eat whatever I want, but only one plate full and no seconds. Having 2 drinks (mimosas, cocoa) during the day is ok."
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't plan on tracking or really working out Christmas day, but I'll get right back on my game the following day. Weather permitting, I'll go for a nice midday stroll, so I'll be moving around, but I'm not going to be strict about it. I also don't weigh myself the following day, because I know the water weight gain will mess with my head.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I plan to eat (and drink) All Of The Things on Christmas, just like I did at a holiday potluck yesterday. This is year 4, almost year 5 of maintenance, I'm still at BMI 22-point-something (and successfully slowly dropping weight at an ultra-slow pace over the past few months, as intended). A day or few of indulgence is irrelevant, for me, in the context of more controlled calorie balance the rest of the year.

Different people need different strategies. Part of the process is figuring out what strategies work best for you.

Happy holidays, in whatever form and manner you may celebrate them!

Well said here, in the long term a day or two of indulgence has no huge impact on a controlled program. In this game, "what you do spontaneously, will not affect what you do on a consistent basis". Happy Holidays

Yeah the issue is when treat day turns into a regular occurrence.

Happy holidays
  • SH0985
    SH0985 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I haven't decided if I want to log yet. If I don't log, it'll be only Christmas Day. I'll be good on Christmas Eve and the day after. Usually, New Years Day isn't a big deal, and I'm not a big party person, so I don't see that derailing me, either. This is, though, all in theory. Ugh. B)