January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,508 Member
    Thanks @Elise4270 and there are some pretty impressive targets there. I'll sort mine later today once I have my run and see how the recovery is feeling.

Happy New Year to you all!!!!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Happy New Year’s, folks! I did not make it to midnight...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    I'm most proud of my spouse. She cracked the 100 pound mark in her weight loss journey, and participated in the 1 mile fun run/walk at every one of my 5ks. I am so fortunate to have her as inspiration.

DANG! Impressive!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Tramboman wrote: »
    1-1 8k slow + resistance bands

January Total: 8k
    January Goal: 135k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

Partly cloudy, breezy, and upper 20s F today. Footing was bad on the side roads, so ran the main road instead.

Last year was an up and down year. I was fortunate to only have some minor injuries that reduced my running.
    The major culprit was I began losing the race with my fork (again).
    I'm most proud of my spouse. She cracked the 100 pound mark in her weight loss journey, and participated in the 1 mile fun run/walk at every one of my 5ks. I am so fortunate to have her as inspiration.
    If you were to ask her about me, however, I suspect you might find out she could easily join the Orange Jumpsuit Battalion.

The Twelve Runs of Christmas

On the sixth run of Christmas, my workout gave to me:
    Six frozen fingers;
    Five trillion snowflakes;
    Four wind gusts;
    Three calf cramps;
    Two frozen ponds;
    And a small niggle in my left knee.

Where is this amazing woman? Tell her congratulations! And any advice for the rest of us?
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    @Tramboman WOW! Your wife is amazing! Glad she is behind you (or ahead of you) 100%. That should help in your journey.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »
    0101-10k total-10k goal-140k

Opening the year with a tempo run. Pace-wise, it was probably my best tempo run in, like, forever. My HR was high but manageable, I didn't feel out of breath at any time, and pace was up there with some of my PRs. I ran it as a build-up: 3km long warm up + 3km MP + 2km HMP + 1km 10k pace, followed by cooldown.

One weird thing that happened during the run though, I was getting extremely drowsy, to the point that I would run five or six strides with my eyes closed, wake up for a few seconds, and close them again. It got slightly better during the faster part, but the moment I hit the cooldown I was falling asleep again. Anyone ever experienced anything like that? Any idea why?

I’ve only been that tired after the duathalon. Over-training perhaps? Cold coming on? Prolonged calorie deficit?
  • PastorVincent
    noblsheep wrote: »
    One weird thing that happened during the run though, I was getting extremely drowsy, to the point that I would run five or six strides with my eyes closed, wake up for a few seconds, and close them again. It got slightly better during the faster part, but the moment I hit the cooldown I was falling asleep again. Anyone ever experienced anything like that? Any idea why?

You need a nap?

Or possibly you were not getting enough air? Was the air quality poor?

• PastorVincent
    Well i just spent way too long reading everything there is to know about shoes.

I couldn’t take it anymore and just ordered another pair of Salomon xr missions because I have them and absolutely love them.

I think it will be a good idea to find a good pair of road running shoes for overpronation but EVERY SINGLE MANUFACTURER has a lot of great reasons why their shoe is the best. How the heck am I supposed to know for sure?!?

Because they all are the best for someone. You need to try different shoes and styles until you find the one that works for your foot. Shoes are very personal in choice. What works great for one person is horrid for another. Experimentation is really the only way to know. That is why you shop at places like Runners Warehouse where they have a great return policy, or even better, a local to you store with the same.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    Well i just spent way too long reading everything there is to know about shoes.

I couldn’t take it anymore and just ordered another pair of Salomon xr missions because I have them and absolutely love them.

I think it will be a good idea to find a good pair of road running shoes for overpronation but EVERY SINGLE MANUFACTURER has a lot of great reasons why their shoe is the best. How the heck am I supposed to know for sure?!?

Anyway- new shoes, yay! $76 but if you count back in the $40 i am owed and will receive from a friend then I only spent $36. :)

@Camaramandy648 if you have a local running store, try on every model they have, take the two or three most comfortable models and go for a short test run on their treadmill. By then you'll know your favorite.