“Skinny Fat” problem: pls help !!

Options
I’m a 20 year old girl. I’m currently 54 kg (119 lbs) and 172 cm (5,8). According to my BMI I am classified as ‘underweight’. Recently, I have been in a calorie deficit to lose body fat because even tho I am at an “unhealthy” weight I still have excess fat on my body e.g. stomach and thighs. How could this be ? It makes me worry that I am going to have to be in a calorie deficit to the point where I am even more underweight to achieve the body I want.

It makes me look at other girls my age and wonder if they are severely underweight (even more than I am) to achieve such lean figures ?

Has anyone had a similar experience or can give any advice/guidance ?

Replies

• liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    If you are skinny the best way to fix it is slow bulk and lift. Eat about 500-700 calories over maintenance, high protein, diet. The fix for skinny fat is to add muscle and once you've done that you go into a deficit again to bring the body fat down again.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    First I want to compliment the OP for such a reasoned question. She obviously thinks she has a fat problem, but is insightful enough to understand that her current approach might not be the best pathway.

I also want to compliment the comments in he thread for not instantly telling her she had body image issues and needed counseling. I cringed when I first read the OP because that is usually what happens and I find it often inappropriate.

However, I do think the rush to push “bulk/cut” cycles is very premature and ill-considered in a case like this. Especially since no one really knows what the specific situation is. For someone who doesn’t even understand the basic approach yet, getting into any kind of basic lifting program would be an important first step. Telling someone who is already concerned with excess body fat to add 500-700 calories a day to their diet does not strike me as the best starting point.

Maybe that’s just my innate caution.

Your innate caution is well placed. IMO, there is a pretty small % of the population where bulk/cut may be appropriate, As you say, someone who is not lifting and is concerned with BF sure isn't one of them.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I’m a 20 year old girl. I’m currently 54 kg (119 lbs) and 172 cm (5,8). According to my BMI I am classified as ‘underweight’. Recently, I have been in a calorie deficit to lose body fat because even tho I am at an “unhealthy” weight I still have excess fat on my body e.g. stomach and thighs. How could this be ?

You should not going under 2,000 a day. Walk a whole mile daily. That's should put thighs in great shape.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »
    First I want to compliment the OP for such a reasoned question. She obviously thinks she has a fat problem, but is insightful enough to understand that her current approach might not be the best pathway.

I also want to compliment the comments in he thread for not instantly telling her she had body image issues and needed counseling. I cringed when I first read the OP because that is usually what happens and I find it often inappropriate.

However, I do think the rush to push “bulk/cut” cycles is very premature and ill-considered in a case like this. Especially since no one really knows what the specific situation is. For someone who doesn’t even understand the basic approach yet, getting into any kind of basic lifting program would be an important first step. Telling someone who is already concerned with excess body fat to add 500-700 calories a day to their diet does not strike me as the best starting point.

Your innate caution is well placed. IMO, there is a pretty small % of the population where bulk/cut may be appropriate, As you say, someone who is not lifting and is concerned with BF sure isn't one of them.

A bulk is certainly not the best course of action for everyone. It's not usually the first thing I would recommend. But for someone who is already underweight and has what is likely low muscle mass, bulking first is likely the most appropriate strategy. They should not try to lose more or even "recomp", as their current weight is still not a healthy one.

The OP is clinically underweight and may possibly have some physical/mental issues going on. Telling her blindly eat 5-700 calories over maintenance as some have suggested, without medical direction/advice on diet is not appropriate IMO.

If the OP has some psychology issues, then that should be a discussion she should have with her doctor. But just because the OP is worried doesn't mean she has one. Its possible she just needs some education. Given the fact that i have worked with several women in the situation and others in this thread also have direct experience, i would suggest its not uncommon for underweight women or even men to deal with this situation. Low muscle mass makes it difficult to get a shapely body.

So while you are quick to criticize others without adding more context to her OP, I will provide a recommendation based on my experience.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    MikePTY wrote: »

A bulk is certainly not the best course of action for everyone. It's not usually the first thing I would recommend. But for someone who is already underweight and has what is likely low muscle mass, bulking first is likely the most appropriate strategy. They should not try to lose more or even "recomp", as their current weight is still not a healthy one.

The OP is clinically underweight and may possibly have some physical/mental issues going on. Telling her blindly eat 5-700 calories over maintenance as some have suggested, without medical direction/advice on diet is not appropriate IMO.

If the OP has some psychology issues, then that should be a discussion she should have with her doctor. But just because the OP is worried doesn't mean she has one. Its possible she just needs some education. Given the fact that i have worked with several women in the situation and others in this thread also have direct experience, i would suggest its not uncommon for underweight women or even men to deal with this situation. Low muscle mass makes it difficult to get a shapely body.

So while you are quick to criticize others without adding more context to her OP, I will provide a recommendation based on my experience.

That's fair, I assume you have some type of formal training/education to be working with nutrition counseling?

I suggested she should get some medical direction. I didn't specifically say, but I would take that to assume from a licensed professional.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    [
    How will walking a mile a day help build up muscle mass?

Where does the OP say "help build up muscle mass"?