Who burns 1000+ cals daily?

Options

Replies

• FitAndGoodLooking
    FitAndGoodLooking Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Very few people actually burn 1000 calories a day from exercise (which is I think what you are saying). Just because a fitbit or exercise machine may say it doesn't make it so.

I am looking for those few people ;)
  • FitAndGoodLooking
    Options
    If you mean 1000 extra exercise calories burned daily, that’s a lot of exercise, and pretty agressive for the average person.
    As rv1234567 said, your body burns calories through functioning, that’s your BMR, how many calories your body burns daily.

Then why do we gain weight? ;)
  • FitAndGoodLooking
    Options
    1000 calories with exercise? are you working out 1/2 the day? I mean I know it is possible, but I work out pretty intense every day of the week and burn around 400, MAYBE 500.

If you pick high cal burning workouts you dont need to spend half a day
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    rv1234567 wrote: »
    I burn about 2500 calories a day just by existing.

If you are trying to burn 1000 extra calories through exercise every single day, you are going to burn out very quickly.

You dont need MFP then ;)

Why? 2500 calories is not that unreasonable an amount for someone to burn from their BMR and daily activity. MFP estimates my maintenance calories before any purposeful exercise is about 2600 calories. And I can sure as heck consistently overeat it if I'm not here logging
  • FitAndGoodLooking
    Options
    DrSong wrote: »
    It's technically possible - I'm sure some jobs (bike messenger? lumberjack in 1920?) would have people that do it but if you're asking for people that do that every day at the gym, that sounds dangerous?

Ofcourse not everyday at the gym. I know life happens.
  • FitAndGoodLooking
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    For comparison sake, that's an 80 kg woman walking 3 hours 47 minutes a day
    https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Female,+walking,+227+minutes,+4.5+km/hr,+80+kg
    Or her running at 7 km/hr for just over 90 minutes
    https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=Female,+running,+93.3+minutes,+7+km/hr,+80+kg
    If she doesn't have a job, or is on holiday I could certainly see her doing that spread over 2 sessions a day.

If she puts her mind on it 5 days a week, she could do it. Not just on holidays ;)
  • MikePTY
    Options
    If you mean 1000 extra exercise calories burned daily, that’s a lot of exercise, and pretty agressive for the average person.
    As rv1234567 said, your body burns calories through functioning, that’s your BMR, how many calories your body burns daily.

I'm not sure you understand how calories and weight loss work? Your body burns a certain amount of calories just functioning. This is called your BMR. It's how much your body burns if you were in a coma. It varies based on weight, height, age, and gender, but we all burn most of our calories this way. Then there is daily activity calories. This includes everything you do in your normal routine form getting up in the morning to going to the bathroom to going to work. Then on top of that are exercise calories. Exercise for most people, even those decently active is the smallest of those 3 calorie burners.

Weight gain or loss primarily has to do with how ouch we eat. We gain weight when we eat more calories than our body burns. We lose weight when we eat less than our body burns. Exercise can assist and is good for our health, but many people here have lsot substantial weight without doing any purposeful exercise.
  • MikePTY
    Options
    1000 calories with exercise? are you working out 1/2 the day? I mean I know it is possible, but I work out pretty intense every day of the week and burn around 400, MAYBE 500.

I'll bite: what is your weight, age, and height, and what exercise do you do and how long that you think you burn over 1000 calories in exercise a day?
  • FitAndGoodLooking
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my Garmin overestimates my exercise calories but for me, an hour + of Zumba (which I do every morning before work via youtube), tends to burn 600+ calories compared to how much I can burn on a treadmill or an elliptical. For reference, a 40 minute HIIT class tends to burn around 350 calories. I capture all my walks whether walking the dog, grocery shopping (pushing a trolley) and I try to fit in a 30 minute lunchtime walk and a 30 minute walk around the block before my colleagues arrive at work (30 minute walks tend to burn around 100 calories or so).

So I frequently exceed 1,000 recorded calories a day based on 1 hour or more of intense cardio and an hour or more of leisurely/not very serious exercise - I fit as many incidental mini walks into my day as I can. My dog walks are not any more strenuous than a grocery walk to be honest because of my dogs' habit of wanting to pee on every tree/bush :p

Well said. :) keep up the good work. For nay sayers this is how it is possible.
  • FitAndGoodLooking
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I am looking for females who burns 1000 cals daily to motivate me. Feel free to add me.

Even if you find what you are looking for, they will not be able to motivate you. They may encourage you and probably inspire you, but that is all. Motivation comes from within, so it is up to you to find it.

Good luck!

Encourage/inspire/motivate all means the same. I know what motivates me and hence this post ;)
  • FitAndGoodLooking
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful insights!!
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

I'll bite: what is your weight, age, and height, and what exercise do you do and how long that you think you burn over 1000 calories in exercise a day?

I’m curious too. According to my Garmin I spent a little over 492 hours doing workouts that burned a total of 167,322 calories last year. That works out to an average of 458 calories in 1.34 hours a day.

So running (primarily) isn’t the right activity?

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

I burn, on an average day, at my current size, around 2300 calories (combination of just being alive, daily activities, intentional exercise). The intentional exercise is the smallest part of that (let's say 250 calories, averaged over all the days including rest days).

If I eat my 2300 calories, my weight will stay where it is now, more or less: Maintenance. If I eat that, plus - for example - a regular-sized Snickers bar, which IIRC is around 250 calories - I will gain about half a pound a week, and weigh about 26 pounds more by the end of a year. Or, if I ate one of those "healthy" 100-calorie packs of Emerald Cashew nuts every day instead of the Snickers, on top of maintenance calories, I'd add about 10 pounds in a year.

Gaining weight is easy, very easy. That's how I stayed obese for decades, including the last 15 years or so where I was athletically quite active, including training competing as an athlete, and not always unsuccessfully. About 5 years ago, I used MFP to start eating the right amount, and I got to a healthy weight in less than a year, and have stayed there since . . . without changing my exercise schedule or intensity in any significant way.

And certainly without adding 1000 extra calories of exercise. Much as I enjoy my sport (and I do), that would be too much for good life balance, for me.

YMMV - apparently does. And that's fine.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

If you pick high cal burning workouts you don't need to spend half a day

OP, I've already posted that weight loss is not my focus when training, but the ongoing discussion regarding "burning 1000 calories a day" piqued my interest. I went back and checked my Training Peaks data to find a couple time periods where my activities contributed to a 1000 calories/day expenditure as a weekly average. I am confident in my calorie expenditure numbers from my Garmin devices, especially cycling, since I have a power meter that captures watts, which is a true measure of work.

So I picked two weeks in 2018, one in June and another in July. (I was injured in 2019 and did not train).

During the week of June 18-23, I expended 6145 calories in 6 days, for an average of 1,024 calories daily.

In June, the week looked like this: Mon: cycling 672 cal, Tues: swim 300 cal, Wed: bike 581, Thurs: Sprint triathlon 834 cal, Fri: swim 636 cal, Sat: 81 mile Bike ride & 45 min run total: 3122 cal Sunday: Rest Day

During the week of July 16-22, I expended 7767 calories, for an average of 1109 daily.

In July, the week looked like this: Mon: bike 827 cal, Tues: track run: 459 cal, Wed: Bike 981cal; Thurs: Rest Day, Fri: open water swim 501 calories, Sat: 102 mile bike& 45min run total: 3841 cal, Sun: open water swim and 1.5hr run total: 1159 calories.

Note that even though my weekly average was over 1000/day for those two weeks, I only exceeded the number on a couple of days. The long bike rides skewed the results. So in my case, I did spend half a day or more in training and took in roughly 1500 calories in fuel to support the workouts. :)

Finally, I should note that these were two high volume weeks for me. Most of my training weeks are at lower volume.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'd wager the eating plan is 1200 calories no matter what.

And the 1000 burned in exercise is from thinking that's required to lose 2 lbs weekly.

Any wagers how long this plan lasts?

And during serious Tri training for about a month when time/distance was ramping up - yes I could average 1000 a day within a week. With well planned "rest" days.

Ditto's to the comments that the level of effort most could do daily would require more time and lower intensity. Possible, but perhaps not practical.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    I'd wager the eating plan is 1200 calories no matter what.

And the 1000 burned in exercise is from thinking that's required to lose 2 lbs weekly.

Any wagers how long this plan lasts?

And during serious Tri training for about a month when time/distance was ramping up - yes I could average 1000 a day within a week. With well planned "rest" days.

Ditto's to the comments that the level of effort most could do daily would require more time and lower intensity. Possible, but perhaps not practical.

Exactly!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure my Garmin overestimates my exercise calories but for me, an hour + of Zumba (which I do every morning before work via youtube), tends to burn 600+ calories compared to how much I can burn on a treadmill or an elliptical. For reference, a 40 minute HIIT class tends to burn around 350 calories. I capture all my walks whether walking the dog, grocery shopping (pushing a trolley) and I try to fit in a 30 minute lunchtime walk and a 30 minute walk around the block before my colleagues arrive at work (30 minute walks tend to burn around 100 calories or so).

So I frequently exceed 1,000 recorded calories a day based on 1 hour or more of intense cardio and an hour or more of leisurely/not very serious exercise - I fit as many incidental mini walks into my day as I can. My dog walks are not any more strenuous than a grocery walk to be honest because of my dogs' habit of wanting to pee on every tree/bush :p

Well said. :) keep up the good work. For nay sayers this is how it is possible.

How much are you eating? Why do you think you need to burn 1,000 calories per day with deliberate exercise? I averaged 1,000 calories per day when I was doing a lot of endurance cycling and cycling events...but that was also a considerable amount of time in the saddle on many days. I wasn't doing it for the burn, I was doing it because I love road riding...but ultimately, it takes time away from doing other things that need doing, family time, etc.

I was also fueling that exercise and had to eat quite a bit. I ask what your calorie target is because my guess is that it's 1200 and you're going to try to do this exercise on top of that and not fuel that activity and net somewhere around 200 calories per day. If that is the case, it is a very unhealthy approach and you will ultimately run into problems down the line like losing menstrual cycle, hair falling out, etc.

My guess is that you don't understand that you burn a significant number of calories just being alive...you burn more with your day to day goings on, and then with exercise. Your body requires calories (energy) for basic functions...so crashing your diet and doing an exorbitant amount of exercise on top of that is a really bad idea.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,200 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

If you pick high cal burning workouts you don't need to spend half a day

OP, I've already posted that weight loss is not my focus when training, but the ongoing discussion regarding "burning 1000 calories a day" piqued my interest. I went back and checked my Training Peaks data to find a couple time periods where my activities contributed to a 1000 calories/day expenditure as a weekly average. I am confident in my calorie expenditure numbers from my Garmin devices, especially cycling, since I have a power meter that captures watts, which is a true measure of work.

<snip impressive exercise details for reply length, or because intimidating, you choose ;) >

Note that even though my weekly average was over 1000/day for those two weeks, I only exceeded the number on a couple of days. The long bike rides skewed the results. So in my case, I did spend half a day or more in training and took in roughly 1500 calories in fuel to support the workouts. :)

Finally, I should note that these were two high volume weeks for me. Most of my training weeks are at lower volume.

I'd observe that (1) you're a guy, so odds are that you're physically larger than the average woman, at the same BMI, so things like running burn more calories per minute for you automagically; (2) you're clearly a conditioned athlete, so you're capable of burning more calories per minute (or of bringing on less fatigue at any given calories per minute level for any given duration) than someone who's less conditioned.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am in the peak 4 weeks of training for a marathon. I run all the time-I’m at the point of training that people dislike because it interferes with normal life activities and it’s absolutely physically exhausting (and unsustainable for any real length of time).

The closest I’ve come is an average of about 700 calories (burned through exercise) a day. That includes very necessary rest days and 20 mile runs.

I have no desire or physical ability to do more than that.

I’m also unlikely to motivate anyone to do anything. I’m busy motivating myself to go do yet another long-*kitten* run when I really just want to eat and nap.

As a runner who does marathon training regularly, I have had individual *days* where I've burned 1,000 or more (mostly if I do a long run on a weekend day and then do other activities later in the day). But to do that every day? It would be too hard for me to sustain that, employment, and other non-physical activities that are important to me. And what would be the point?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rv1234567 wrote: »
    I burn about 2500 calories a day just by existing.

If you are trying to burn 1000 extra calories through exercise every single day, you are going to burn out very quickly.

You dont need MFP then ;)

Someone who burned 2,500 calories a day just by existing could use MFP in multiple circumstances.

Maybe they need to lose weight because they've been regularly using 2,500 but eating 2,600.

Maybe they want to gain weight because they've been burning more than they've been eating.

Or maybe they're perfectly happy with their weight and they want to track so they'll continue to be.