Good or Bad Food?

Options
luigi76
luigi76 Posts: 1 Member
Hello, I am new to the app and was wondering how can I see easily if a good is good or bad for you?
In other apps, it is visible by placing foods in a green/yellow/red zone for example.
Thanks

Replies

• jeagogo
    jeagogo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it's a MFP Premium feature only, but you can at least take a look at the nutrients view on your diary to see if you are hitting goals for macros, and which foods in your diary are highest in carbs, protein, or fat.

Agree with others that the classification of "good" and "bad" foods is not ideal. I like to look at foods in terms of how well they will fuel me, so a good that is just low calorie might not be great for me if it doesn't have the nutrients I need. Alternatively, making a place in my diet for nutritious high fat or high calorie foods is also important.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    jeagogo wrote: »
    Not sure if it's a MFP Premium feature only, but you can at least take a look at the nutrients view on your diary to see if you are hitting goals for macros, and which foods in your diary are highest in carbs, protein, or fat.

Agree with others that the classification of "good" and "bad" foods is not ideal. I like to look at foods in terms of how well they will fuel me, so a good that is just low calorie might not be great for me if it doesn't have the nutrients I need. Alternatively, making a place in my diet for nutritious high fat or high calorie foods is also important.

its not a premium feature - users on free service can see breakdown of macros too.

I think premium shows more detail on micro-nutrients (correct me if wrong, I don't have premium) but free version certainly gives basic fats, carbs, protein information

• BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I do understand what you are asking. I quit logging a while back because cake was less calories than walnuts and I thought that was ridiculous. I wish there were a way to determine the health factors of each food.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    what do you consider good and bad foods? because surely that's down to the individual and portion size.
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    Options
    Wow. Ok. It's just my opinion. I don't think cake is good for you and walnuts are better for you. The end
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    Options
    I do understand what you are asking. I quit logging a while back because cake was less calories than walnuts and I thought that was ridiculous. I wish there were a way to determine the health factors of each food.
    So, did you think MFP made it up that walnuts have fewer calories than cake? (Depending on the cake!) It’s physics. Ignore it if you want, but it is what it is. Most cake is primarily carbs. Walnuts are primarily fat. And carbs have fewer calories per gram than fat, so the same weight of most types of cake probably has fewer calories than the equivalent weight in walnuts. That doesn’t mean you should eat cake. It doesn’t mean you should eat walnuts! It means you have to use your brain to figure out which food will help you meet your nutritional goal and your calorie goal.

If you’re trying to lose weight and you eat a boatload of walnuts every day you are probably gonna have a problem staying within your calorie limit. On the other hand, you can eat literally nothing but cake and still lose weight, provided you’re eating at a caloric deficit. Some researcher literally did this with Twinkies just to prove a point.

There are valid reasons not to eat nothing but Twinkies - such as scurvy - but weight loss doesn’t require the eating of only “healthy” foods.

Heck, health itself doesn’t require eating nothing but “healthy” food! When I run a race, I eat sports jellies made of nothing but sugar and binding ingredients to keep my blood glucose up. That is healthy for me at that moment, even though it’s ultra processed and 100% carbs. If you want to determine the true health factors of what you eat, there are no shortcuts. You have to learn what your body needs, when, and why, and use your brain, instead of listening to some guru who gets paid to give one-size-fits-all advice. If I need a nice dose of omega 3s walnuts might be a great choice. If I have already eaten half an avocado and a bunch of almonds and I only have 25 calories left in my budget for the day, they might be a foolish choice and green veggies might make me feel fuller while staying in my calories. If I just ran a half marathon I for sure don’t want to eat flipping walnuts, I want some carbs.

I don't think cake is good for you. I think walnuts are better. That's all
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »

Why is that ridiculous? Calories are calories. If you eat a surplus of calories from walnuts, you will gain weight. If you eat a deficit of calories from cake, you will lose weight. That's how weight loss works. MFP didn't make that up.

Nutrition is another issue, but MFP gives you plenty of tools there. You can track all your macro nutrients and some micronurtients. So you can make plenty of nutrition based decisions from that.

However for most people who are overweight or obese, the healthiest thing they can do for themselves is lost weight and get to a normal weight. Eating cake at a normal weight is healthier than nuts of you are obese. One of the great things from this app is it frees you of unhelpful moral judgements about food being "good" or "bad". Good food is food that helps you stay in your calorie goal, bad food is food that makes it difficult to stay in your calorie goal.

It's an opinion. Not scripture. Cake has less health benefits than walnuts.