Is keto right for me?

I'm on day 4, down 6 pounds and feeling exhausted, nauseous and just generally awful. I know they say it's keto flu, but how do I know if it's just that or a sign that I should reintroduce carbs into my diet little by little?

Replies

• kteej
    kteej Posts: 46 Member
    I forgot about using salt - just add some to your water - thanks for the reminder :-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Momeri1113 wrote: »
    I'm on day 4, down 6 pounds and feeling exhausted, nauseous and just generally awful. I know they say it's keto flu, but how do I know if it's just that or a sign that I should reintroduce carbs into my diet little by little?

How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and how many calories are you eating? Some of that may be keto flu, but you could also be under eating.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Success will depend more on sustainability than anything else. If you don't like eating keto, and don't like how you feel on keto, then you are less likely to stay keto and more likely to yo-yo off of it.

Find a way of eating you enjoy and can see yourself doing for the rest of your life.

Keto is great for many neurological issues or metabolic issues like T2D, however, for weight loss it's not magic and not any more successful than any other method of eating.

If you want to eat more carbs, then do so. If you want to limit carbs (many people find this improves hunger/cravings) then do so. You can do Low Carb or LCHF without doing keto level carb restrictions.

Adjust your goals, try it for a few weeks, see how you feel and how compliant you are to your plan. Adjust plan as needed. Repeat.

You can figure out what works best for you - the path of least resistance is the path you are going to stay on the longest! In the end, sustainability is the real key to success.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

You should probably treat it as the "keto flu."

I am not sure if 4 days is enough of an evaluation period unless you really hate eating a high fat diet. If you do there is no reason to stick with it.

There are really just 2 reasons to be on keto aside from specific medical problems:

1) You enjoy eating high fat and do not mind low carb
    2) It gives you excellent control over your hunger and you feel you can grow accustomed to way of eating if you do not like it already.

If you feel it is helping you control your hunger but you miss the carbs you can try experimenting with gradually increasing your carbs. You may find that a moderate carb diet works just as well for you.
  • Momeri1113
    Momeri1113 Posts: 57 Member
    try adding some salt to your diet - typically keto flu is caused by an imbalance of electrolytes

that being said - you donn't need to do keto to lose weight - its just the new hotness - many of us have success with losing weight as long as we maintain a calorie deficit

I know. I'm just having lots of trouble with just maintaining a deficit since my baby and an added perk of keto is no cravings. I wanted to try to do it at least a month then slowly add healthy carbs back in until I'm eventually eating healthy out of habit rather than feeling deprived if that makes sense.
  • Momeri1113
    kshama2001 wrote: »

How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and how many calories are you eating? Some of that may be keto flu, but you could also be under eating.

I'm 5 foot 4 and currently 259. Started the year at 268.8. I usually have around 20 to 24 net carbs a day but only like 1200 calories naturally. I just don't know how to get more calories eating low carb.
  • Momeri1113
    I'm feeling much better, normal and clearer now. Some people have suggested to me that it might have been from taking zinc on an empty stomach. I'd like to continue my keto plan (since it does work to completely get rid of my cravings for me) for at least a month and then transition slowly to eating more balanced again. While weightloss is my goal, so is being healthy and I do know keto is not healthy long term. Thank you all for responding! I really appreciate it! :smiley:
  • Momeri1113
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    You only like 1200 calories naturally. How 'bout just tracking your MFP data points until you can get your sea legs back. You can always go keto on down the road but you need your energy and stamina. Eat the things you enjoy and monitor your portions and your body might naturally want more calories right now with a new baby. Take care of yourself, Mama. ;)

He's 14 months old. I tried it that way for over a year :/ and this really does get rid of my cravings. That's why I don't want to give up just yet
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    1200 is the old school, one-size-fits-all. You very likely don't need to eat that few calories for weight loss as you are not petite and sedentary (you're certainly not elderly).

Google your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure....aka maintenance). Take a reasonable deficit from that and eat that many calories. 2 pounds a week would be 1,000 calories from TDEE. As you become smaller, so should the deficit.

Low carb helps with cravings when you are dieting. But the cravings will come back when you transition (regardless or fast or slow). If your plan is moderate carbs for maintenance, that is going to take practice.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    You only like 1200 calories naturally. How 'bout just tracking your MFP data points until you can get your sea legs back. You can always go keto on down the road but you need your energy and stamina. Eat the things you enjoy and monitor your portions and your body might naturally want more calories right now with a new baby. Take care of yourself, Mama. ;)

He's 14 months old. I tried it that way for over a year :/ and this really does get rid of my cravings. That's why I don't want to give up just yet

I think from what you've said giving keto a try is a good idea. Upping your salt some should help with the keto flu, so the remaining issue is eating more. Does MFP give you a calorie goal? Ways to eat more on keto should not be hard, as high fat foods are quite caloric -- add in some nuts or maybe have some cheese, stuff like that. Make sure you aren't sticking to old habits like low fat options.
  • Momeri1113
    TeaBea wrote: »
    1200 is the old school, one-size-fits-all. You very likely don't need to eat that few calories for weight loss as you are not petite and sedentary (you're certainly not elderly).

Google your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure....aka maintenance). Take a reasonable deficit from that and eat that many calories. 2 pounds a week would be 1,000 calories from TDEE. As you become smaller, so should the deficit.

Low carb helps with cravings when you are dieting. But the cravings will come back when you transition (regardless or fast or slow). If your plan is moderate carbs for maintenance, that is going to take practice.

I know, I'm just hoping that once I transition back, I'll have formed good habits of just choosing healthy foods without thinking too much about it.
  • Momeri1113
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I think from what you've said giving keto a try is a good idea. Upping your salt some should help with the keto flu, so the remaining issue is eating more. Does MFP give you a calorie goal? Ways to eat more on keto should not be hard, as high fat foods are quite caloric -- add in some nuts or maybe have some cheese, stuff like that. Make sure you aren't sticking to old habits like low fat options.

My challenge is fitting high fats into low carb. I set my goals to what my hand calculated BMR and TDEE is. I don't purposefully choose low fat food, and I've never really been one to buy into the low fat hype. I'm lactose intolerant, so milk wise I usually choose nut milk, skim or 1% but other than that I usually choose full fat things - especially now that I have to buy full fats for my son.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

If I felt like that, I don't even think I'd need to ask. That sounds horrible.
  • Momeri1113
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

If I felt like that, I don't even think I'd need to ask. That sounds horrible.

The more the day goes on I think it was due to me taking supplements on an empty stomach. The rest of the day I've felt pretty good. I really don't want to give up so soon. I figure if I feel like that again tomorrow, I'll come up with a new game plan.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    kteej wrote: »
    I forgot about using salt - just add some to your water - thanks for the reminder :-)

Ugh. Why not just use it on or in food that it will improve the flavor of?
  • Momeri1113
    I thought that drinking water with salt could potential kill you. It dehydrates you because water in your body will move from areas with less salt to areas with higher salt. Also, the diet already adds so much salt becuase of the meat and dairy. The further I get into this, the more I was to modify to make it more like a low carb dash diet or something. Eating so much meat and dairy is not typical for me.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    I thought that drinking water with salt could potential kill you. It dehydrates you because water in your body will move from areas with less salt to areas with higher salt. Also, the diet already adds so much salt becuase of the meat and dairy. The further I get into this, the more I was to modify to make it more like a low carb dash diet or something. Eating so much meat and dairy is not typical for me.

I think this is why dieting is so difficult for many. We know that it is incontestable that if you eat less than you burn and eliminate you will lose weight. Without supplements, denial of food groups, timing of meals, sodium reduction, etc.

But here we are with a new dieter experimenting with all manner of strategies, other than the correct one.

Very disturbing to me.

Nonetheless, best of luck.