January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited January 2020
    @PastorVincent Hope you feel better soon!

@Elise4270 Hugs your way. I wish you had gotten better news about running, but like your attitude about being "one of those" who overcome the odds.

YAY!!! @ContraryMaryMary !

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Today was run 3 in my new shoes. Went for shorter and faster, and waddaya know, after a short warm up, I happily ran at 5:15 pace for 6km without a single twinge in my achilles. Was smiling like an idiot for most of the run. I'm baaaaack.

Finally.

Wooo hoooo
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited January 2020
    13 miles tonight: 12.5 running and 1/2 walking, 2 seperate runs (sort of): set out with goal minimum of 3 miles but after little man fell asleep in the stroller, I just kept going. I did 6 running with him and 2 laps walking around the middle school track! Then I ran him home, dropped him off with the husband and ran 6.5 more! The moon was georgous tonight and tomorrow will be a full one! Today was a good run after 3 days of blahness!

Average speed is 12 minute miles but so much of this is up hill and down hill and sometimes pushing little man. I need to go solo to the middle school track, which is level and time myself. I highly doubt it will be much better but, maybe I'll be surprised (hopefully). I'm not terribly worried about it, though, as long as I can get through the marathon averaging that speed.

@Elise4270 I'm very sorry and like @quilteryoyo said, I hope you're one of "those" success stories. I imagine it's a grieving process first and then either an acceptance or fight it movement.

@ContraryMaryMary Great job on the speed; I'd be super cheesy smiling after increased speed + no pain. Nice!

@username301 I bought trail shoes for the Austin Marathon; it's not a trail run. I'm special, super special. Now I need to sign up for a trail run so I can use the shoes. Hopefully you'll find someone who could use them or you could donate or sell them.

@Avidkeo & @emmamcgarity Last thing I have to say about the jelly beans, I promise... Anyway, Walmart sells five different varieties and I bought some. Surprise...

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    No run last night due to a headache. Work is majorly stressing me out, and I feel like I can’t catch up. Doesn’t help that I am the boss and I’m also trying to help my staff figure out how to deal with some major unexpected changes. *sigh* I plan to get in 4-5 miles tonight so I can decompress a little.

We are supposed to have bad storms this weekend, and I have 17 miler on the schedule. I guess I am going to attempt it on the indoor track at the gym...we’ll see how monotonous that turns out. Better than 17 on a dreadmill, I suppose.

i'd totally prefer the treadmill. with a good couple of movies or action show
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    We are supposed to have bad storms this weekend, and I have 17 miler on the schedule. I guess I am going to attempt it on the indoor track at the gym...we’ll see how monotonous that turns out. Better than 17 on a dreadmill, I suppose.

Assuming it is like indoor tracks that I am used to, it will be around 8 laps per mile. That means 136 laps for 17 miles. I am not sure I could pull that off. Even if I could, I am not sure how in the world I would track that. Well, I mean, I know how *I* would do it, I would use my foot pod to track distance, but if I did not have that? How do you plan to keep track of that many loops? Just wondering.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    Just an FYI for those of you looking for new or replacement shoes. REI Outlet is having 25% off the clearance prices for fitness gear and have lots of Salomon, Altra, Brooks, etc. I didn't find anything but you all may find your favorite shoes.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,883 Member
    edited January 2020
    Today is a walk/XT day, so I did a 2 mile walk, partly in the neighbor's field and partly up and down my driveway. I would have walked further, but the weather is supposed to be really nice tomorrow, up to 74°F, so I think I am going to do my run then instead of Sunday.

exercise.png

@shanaber Hobbes sleeping under the covers is adorable!

@mbaker566 Speed Demon looks like a great running partner. We should follow our dog's lead and nap more during the day.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo No films today.

Awwww! How did the rest of your follow up go?

Visit with doc 2;
    Ok I think. We’re gonna wait and see a few months before scheduling a re-do surgery. My understanding is that the femoral angle from surgery day to now has changed. I didn’t clarify, so I’m just guessing and piecing conversation together. He said we’d go with a rod that is about an inch shorter. I asked “so the screw holes line up?” I mean couldn’t possibly rotate and put new holes next to old holes in a bone right? His reply was “no, so there’s room for bone cement”. Huh. Okay. Didn’t ask anything else. So I think that’s to keep in at the angle it is set. There was talk of a PAO (peri acetabular osteotomy), which would be way cool, but then he decided we can’t because the femur needs to be done, first? Or no PAO? Think no PAO is where we left that. Left hip— He remembered the nerve impingement. Thinks that side could also be de-rotated a bit to relieve the strain. (Logging that nugget away as I suspect if I ever get to add much activity it’ll be a pain in the rear constantly).

Anyway, I’m back to surgeon doc 1 in feb for an update (even thought doc2 was going to go talk to him, I’m supposed to check in. He does my disability paperwork so... ok, and he’s managing my care) and then to surgery doc 2 in March for decision and scheduling. Agreed that sx in May is ideal if needed. Give my hip time to heal from September FAI sx and re-strengthen. But. Perhaps I’ll be in a livable situation and not need to do any sx. From what I gather, my running days are done. Return to function is what we’re hoping. Although, I’m not opposed to being one of those stories where “my doc said I’d never run again”.

He thought I could try to get out on my bike. But wasn’t keen on anyone ever riding their bike outdoors. He’s a trauma surgeon and reciently lost a co-worker to a fatal mtn bike accident. He uses a zwift trainer for his biking. Eh, I really like being outside and minimal 300 USD and a 14USD/monthly fee. I don’t have a surgeons salary. And my books and supplies this semester were over 1000. Dh would get me the trainer... but someone has to be occasionally responsible with the money. Okayed some walking, but watch the knee alignment. (Which can be fixed in the next sx).

@Elise4270 I’m sorry to hear that they aren’t very hopeful for your return to running at this point, but I’m glad they have a path forward and hope it will turn out as well as possible.

They are super expensive, but could you use an elliptical bike? There’s a guy around here who has one and they seem to have a lot more control and visibility than a regular bike. Of course it would depend on being able to use an elliptical without pain.

I feel like maybe I shouldn’t ask this, but what did the surgeons tell you was going to happen when they did your surgery? I recall you before the surgery being in pain, but getting in one more run anyway and walking pretty much fine. And now you can’t run at all and have difficultly walking. Was this what they told you to expect? It seems like the whole situation really sucks!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Also @Elise4270 I am so sorry to hear all of this. I am hoping for the best possible outcome for you.