Thank you Planet Fitness...

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited January 2020
    I guess I have a hard time believing there are bodybuilders and other extremely fit people that are offended by PF's marketing. It's meant to be a joke. I don't love PF and their rules and their marketing, but it's just whatever to me. It's dirt cheap. It's clean. It's a place to get some exercise. I have no idea whether PF is doing well financially so I can't comment on whether their marketing techniques are successful or not ??

Not gonna lie, I just joined planet fitness to get some cardio during the winter because it's across the street from my office. I have weights at home. It's fine. I had to sign my acknowledgement of their rules, like no gallon water jugs, and no grunting etc. I find those rules pretty weird, but honestly IDGAF. And, I also saw plenty of pretty fit looking people there. No there are no barbells and squat racks, but I could still get a good work out there if I wanted to use their weights.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited January 2020
    I'm not even sure where the nearest PF is to be honest (maybe in the far 'burbs somewhere or maybe not in my metropolitan area at all). There's an LA Fitness, Catalyst Fitness, Fitness 19? , and YMCA on the next block over from where I work, with the LA Fitness I belong to being the closest.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I miss my old New York Sports Club in CT with a passion.

When I moved to PA, I tried several gyms, but they were skanky by comparison. (I'm talking peeling paint and mold.) I'm at a local PF now for convenience and because--say what you want about them--they do keep the place clean. If I was ever serious about bodybuilding, though, everyone's correct that I'd have to find somewhere else.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I guess I have a hard time believing there are bodybuilders and other extremely fit people that are offended by PF's marketing. It's meant to be a joke.

How do you expect people to respond when they're called lunks? Or when they're depicted as brain-damaged simpletons? Should we expect them to double over in laughter?

Somehow I doubt that we'd expect overweight people to react in that manner.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I guess I have a hard time believing there are bodybuilders and other extremely fit people that are offended by PF's marketing. It's meant to be a joke.

How do you expect people to respond when they're called lunks? Or when they're depicted as brain-damaged simpletons? Should we expect them to double over in laughter?

I don't like the marketing I just don't think it's anything to be outraged over. I hear people making fun of "gym bros" and the like all the time, no one ever gets outraged...
  • spartan_d

I don't like the marketing I just don't think it's anything to be outraged over. I hear people making fun of "gym bros" and the like all the time, no one ever gets outraged...
    That's because it's socially acceptable to say that fit, muscular people are idiots. It's less socially acceptable to say the same thing about out-of-shape people. Why? Because most Americans are out of shape.

And if anyone thinks that bodybuilders and other athletes aren't offended by this stereotype, then they've been living in an echo chamber.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited January 2020
    Anyone that goes to planet fitness because they are scared to go to another gym belongs in a planet fitness.

Also, I’ve seen videos of people getting kicked out by planet fitness workers in a very aggressive manner. I wish some planet fitness chump would come up to me like that; pulling on my shirt, pushing me, and yelling. That fool would catch a beat down. YouTube it if you don’t know what I’m talking about. The one below starts around 2 mins mark...

https://youtu.be/8id8VZ-0fyM
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited January 2020

Image if Chills installed a “homo” alarm that sounded whenever someone spoke a little too flamboyantly; trying to cater to folks who are uncomfortable with that lifestyle. The world would lose its mind.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    I used to have a bad impression of PF until I moved to an area where there are very few offerings. I did deadlifts today with no issues and we actually have a PF360 area with battle ropes and medicine balls and kettle bells and other functional training equipment. There is a good mix of people at my gym and the staff is awesome. I like that someone is always there. I have the $23 membership and love the hydro massages. There are definitely things I wish I had, but the price can’t be beat.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I think the local branches vary a bunch in how much they enforce the rules, but the mere existence of the rules would make me nervous about violating them. I wonder if they are looser in places where there's less competition so you get a broader range of people, not so much their target market.
  • rachelleahsmom
    rachelleahsmom Posts: 442 Member
    I have to put in a shout out for the YMCA. They are definitely more expensive that PF, but they welcome everybody no matter what size, shape, color, or age. You can also work out at any Y across the country, so if you travel, it's a great deal. I love everything about my YMCA - something for everyone, clean, welcoming, and no spin instructors that rage!
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    I do think it just has to do with that particular gym as to enforcing the “rules” goes. I’ve been a member for going on 4 years and I’ve never seen anyone be hassled about their routine or attire. Couldn’t tell you what the “lunk alarm”(?) sounds like. I guess I’ve just been lucky about things like that. Never had any problem cancelling a membership.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    allother94 wrote: »
    Anyone that goes to planet fitness because they are scared to go to another gym belongs in a planet fitness.

Also, I’ve seen videos of people getting kicked out by planet fitness workers in a very aggressive manner. I wish some planet fitness chump would come up to me like that; pulling on my shirt, pushing me, and yelling. That fool would catch a beat down. YouTube it if you don’t know what I’m talking about. The one below starts around 2 mins mark...

https://youtu.be/8id8VZ-0fyM

Was the employee overly aggressive? Yes. Was he being a jerk? Also, yes. There was no reason to start shouting once he took his shirt off. But no one would have noticed him otherwise, so he wouldn't have gotten his views.
  • spartan_d
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I think the local branches vary a bunch in how much they enforce the rules, but the mere existence of the rules would make me nervous about violating them.

I've seen other people say the same thing.

I think that's worth considering when people say, "But I never hear the lunk alarm go off at my Planet Fitness!" I feel like asking, "Is it because the staff doesn't use it? Or is it because people tune their workouts down because they're afraid to set it off?"
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    NJL13500 wrote: »
    I used to have a bad impression of PF until I moved to an area where there are very few offerings. I did deadlifts today with no issues and we actually have a PF360 area with battle ropes and medicine balls and kettle bells and other functional training equipment. There is a good mix of people at my gym and the staff is awesome. I like that someone is always there. I have the $23 membership and love the hydro massages. There are definitely things I wish I had, but the price can’t be beat.

How did you do deadlifts? They don't have platforms or bumper plates.