What the heck do ya'll do about the extra skin?

Options
I have lost almost 50 lbs so far and I am looking for skin tightening tips. I am drinking lots of water and have started including some face and neck tightening exercises as well. I know time is the best medicine for skin, but do y'all have any proven tricks?

Replies

• wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Time, extra water, and weight lifting help. If in a few years I still look or feel bad I'm having surgery ....but that's my choice and I'll figure it out then
  • thewiltedred
    thewiltedred Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    wmweeza wrote: »
    Time, extra water, and weight lifting help. If in a few years I still look or feel bad I'm having surgery ....but that's my choice and I'll figure it out then

I am definitely considering a lift in a year or two as well, once I "settle" into my new skin.
  • chavezjm196908
    chavezjm196908 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Once I reach my goal weight, I might get a tummy tuck and Boob lift. I guess losing it slower, lessons the effect.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I've never lost weight quickly. In the past, my skin has always caught up eventually and stopped making unneeded extra. I'm assuming that still holds. Time will tell.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    As you've said time.

Other than that the only options are surgery (which I won't do) or being younger (which I can't do).
  • alligatorob
    alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I am mostly looking at it and being happy its no longer full of fat and tight. The sag is better than the swell.

Does weight lifting really help? I might try that.

Being younger sounds good, anybody figure that one out let me know.

• MonaLisainCT
    MonaLisainCT Posts: 41 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm down 52 pounds since February, so I've been noticing this growing (ha!) problem too.
    I'm trying retinol and hyaluronic acid serums topically, roman dry brushing (sporadically, I admit. It's more for circulation and exfoliation than anything else), and drinking homemade stock for the collagen.
    I'm in my mid-50s though. I wish I'd started the weight loss when I was younger!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Mid 50's here. 65 lbs lost in 7 months, apparently too quick for my skin to keep up, and parts of me look like a deflated balloon. I read somewhere that when you finally get to a proper goal weight, it actually looks better than when you're en route. Here's to hoping that's true. Trying to envision wearing long sleeve shirts and long pants when July comes, here in Washington DC, built on a swamp.

Still happier than when I was all stuffed with fat, though.

Checking out the prices on the plethora of tucks I'd need to get all tightened up was humorous, in a way. Turns out, it's not "a few thousand bucks" as I was hoping. Oops.
  • thewiltedred
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I definitely see a bossom lift in my future, but i am good on having the tum tuck. I have had two c sections and one non invasive abdominal surgery. I cring at the thought of any more chopping at my stomach. Blah.

My plan is in another 15lbs to shift into a recovery/transition period in which I then move into muscle building phase. I Will make sure to note what happens!

Y'all are right tho. What a beautiful problem to have 😎.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    Mid 50's here. 65 lbs lost in 7 months, apparently too quick for my skin to keep up, and parts of me look like a deflated balloon. I read somewhere that when you finally get to a proper goal weight, it actually looks better than when you're en route. Here's to hoping that's true. Trying to envision wearing long sleeve shirts and long pants when July comes, here in Washington DC, built on a swamp.

Still happier than when I was all stuffed with fat, though.

Checking out the prices on the plethora of tucks I'd need to get all tightened up was humorous, in a way. Turns out, it's not "a few thousand bucks" as I was hoping. Oops.

I can vouch for that. I look much better now after maintaining for a couple of years than when I was losing. I just accept it though as a bit of loose skin is a damn sight better than an extra 80 pounds. If you do want to go down the nick and tuck path I'd personally wait until you have been in maintenance for 1-2 years first as this could save you money and pain.
  • djwinch
    djwinch Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Compression clothing for me!

I'm doing some weights now in the hope it eventually tightens up a little bit but I'm not holding out too much hope.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,564 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    In line with niner's comment, I'd suggest that doing the things that keep other organs healthy is also likely to keep skin healthy: This helps create best odds of skin staying supple and elastic.

By this, I mean I think it would be a good idea to consistently get good, well rounded nutrition; lose weight at a sensibly moderate rate (not crazy fast); get regular exercise (strength and cardiovascular); hydrate adequately; moderate alcohol; don't use tobacco; and manage stress. Using sunscreen (and avoiding tanning generally) would be helpful to skin specifically.

Many of those seem likely to have more benefits to skin health/shrinkage than tricks like brushing or topical creams. (They may also require more effort ;) ).

FWIW, my loose skin kept shrinking at least well into year 2 of maintenance, even at age 60. Now, heading toward 5 years at a healthy weight, I don't think I look much different from other women my age (64) who've always been thin. (I was obese for 30+ years, lost down to a healthy weight in about a year, but it was only about 50 pounds loss.) YMMV, of course.
  • thewiltedred
    Options
    I am loving all this honest feed back. it is confirming my own thoughts and feelings. thanks guys <3o:)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    My plan is in another 15lbs to shift into a recovery/transition period in which I then move into muscle building phase.

Most fitness professionals would recommend starting strength training now.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is wise to think of excess skin as something you can cure. That could easily lead a person down a path of wasted money and effort. Good overall health may help whatever was going to happen anyway along a little faster. Poor health is no good for reasons well beyond excess skin.

If surgery is necessary the same steps you have taken to maintain good health will serve you there too. After all you will want the easiest and fastest recovery you can get.