Grosssss, MFP!

Options
That ad with the big glob of wax and dirt being pulled out of someone’s ear? Does MFP vet these ads? Or is this a subtle plot to make sure I lose my appetite for the rest of the day?

Gag!!!!

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Google chooses these ads. And their algorithm knows you better than you know yourself. So make of that what you will.

Makes me wonder...WTF with the earwax ads?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    Google chooses these ads. And their algorithm knows you better than you know yourself. So make of that what you will.

Apparently, unbeknownst to me, I speak Spanish (admittedly took a little in high school 40+ years ago), and wear plus-sized clothing (haven't in 5 years). These are not rare to see, in ads, for me.

I think you're more impressed, or maybe better captured, by Google's algorithms than I am. :)

But yes, read threads about certain things, click on articles about them, etc., and Google munches that down like it was useful data. Sometimes it is. :lol:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Google knows me pretty well. I keep getting ads for new workout pants that I am very tempted by.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Sometimes you can click something on the ad (usually an exclamation mark "i" icon) to find out more about the ad.
    ea28dsu39y10.png

Here are a couple of mine
    5rtzg6k0blib.png
    b0gn6trc5ja7.png

Edited to correct and add.

What google thinks you're interested in is not the only way they target you. Sometimes the reason shows up as "websites you visited" or even more general targetting like this one (how general the targetting is depends on the kind of targetting the advertiser chooses)

a2dbphys0rdn.png

No, I'm not interested in shopping for boots and have not searched or visited anything that has to do with boots. This is a more general targetting as stated. The people this advertiser is attempting to reach may have visited some of the same websites I visited.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Uh, been snacking today compared to never, and getting ads for frozen foods for Devour.

The one about listening in to conversation concerns me.
    I do not have Google enabled for auto voice response and assume that is true.

@springlering62 - do you have phone enable for auto-voice response that it would have overheard your discussion about deaf family members and bed-ridden parents?

Now let's see if I get those too. Got the Purdue already.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I get ones for cruises, cute summer dresses, and bootees.

I’ve now got a cruise booked for next year taking me to Barcelona and Venice, two cities I’ve wanted to visit forever.

(If you browse MFP Forum on your phone using the website- no ads!)

Cheers, h.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I haven't had ads while on the internet for many years now. I am beginning to think I am missing out on something.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I haven't had ads while on the internet for many years now. I am beginning to think I am missing out on something.

My main browser removes all ads and blocks trackers and cross-site cookies by default, but I use another browser for some specific stuff and sometimes open MFP there and see the ads. That's why I'm usually fascinated with why certain ads are served to me (based on older interest data).
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

Nope. I’m defo not a man. I’ve checked!