The Nerd & Geek Thread

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
    Options
    I played 2nd edition for years, then hit college where nobody was interested in playing, think I got a single gaming session in with 3rd edition, then nothing until somebody mentioned in passing at work that there was now a 5th edition (I hadn't even been aware there was a 4th until I looked it up).
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I played 2nd edition for years, then hit college where nobody was interested in playing, think I got a single gaming session in with 3rd edition, then nothing until somebody mentioned in passing at work that there was now a 5th edition (I hadn't even been aware there was a 4th until I looked it up).

I think 4th is happily forgotten by most, though if you like detailed minis-combat it's actually a great system for skirmish games (probably since I think they made 4th edition their old minis skirmish rules).
  • mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    FB_IMG_1575584908802.jpg
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

I like 5th and 3rd, but I think 2nd is just a little grittier. Has that sword and sandal feel. Even the artwork is different. 4th? Yeah, refused to play or run it. No roll playing. I encourage my players to RP situations. If they go to the sword to often, they get a bad reputation and I make situations harder for them.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »

I think 4th is happily forgotten by most, though if you like detailed minis-combat it's actually a great system for skirmish games (probably since I think they made 4th edition their old minis skirmish rules).

I started on 1st edition AD&D, myself. The books they use on Stranger Things? I had those exact ones. I remember when 2nd edition came out, but my friends and I had such an extensive collection of 1st edition stuff that we just stuck with that. Eventually we branched into MegaTraveller and Car Wars as well. I fell out of D&D when I started college because everyone was playing BattleTech or something instead, and I wasn't interested. Then MtG came out and really took off, and all the RPGers I knew moved on to that, but I could never get into card games.

I actually got the new, basic D&D box set and tried to get my family into it, but it didn't stick.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I just got the Stranger Things D&D for my birthday on Friday!!!!

It seems like an odd match up between 1st and 5th edition with the campaign notes/maps the kids were playing in the show.

Now I just need to find a DM, or be brave enough to try that myself...
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    It seems like a fairly small story, maybe I'll try my hand as a DM...with a very small group of kind friends!
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    It seems like a fairly small story, maybe I'll try my hand as a DM...with a very small group of kind friends!

Highly recommend trying it with some kind friends. Just have fun--that's the main "rule" to remember when DMing, if you and your players are having fun than what else are you after in a session? :)

Btw, I just saw it in the store--kinda like the art that was show on the back cover, they really did it up to look like Mike's adventure and that's pretty awesome
  • JetJaguar
    Options
    Anyone see the trailer for the new Ghostbusters movie yet? I'm... not sure what I think, actually. So I guess it's not a comedy anymore? Looks like a Stranger Things-style horror drama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZFCF--uRY
  • JetJaguar
    Options
    This movie looks like it's a direct sequel to the original two movies and sidesteps the 2016 reboot altogether.

I didn't mind the 2016 movie, actually. It wasn't up to the level of the original, but it had it's moments and was probably on par with Ghostbusters 2. I think if it had been a sequel instead of a reboot (maybe the daughter of one of the original characters takes over the family business or something) it would have been better received.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    That Ghostbusters trailer looks super cute...I liked the 2016 version, it was fun...I loved that the dumb secretary was Thor...it was cool...I will watch this one too!!!
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about the new trailer...on the one hand, it looks wonderfully 80's and what's not to love about that...on the other hand, Steve is alive, and I hate when they bring dead characters back on general principal, plus you know it's going to be time travel or an alternate dimension...and I hate that WW can't just be WW, they had to pair her up with Steve in the first movie, and do all the Batman/WW sexual tension in the Justice League...it's tiresome, can't she just be wonderful and freaking single, or get her a girlfriend, clearly the amazons take care of each other and there's precedent for that...plus, in JL they made a point of WW not doing ANYTHING since WWI and being a non-entity on the hero scene, so now all of sudden she was a thing in the 80's...not that comics ever have continuity errors...ever...
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    1l5ky4uu6uux.png

Caught this on the Flightaware tracking app.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    fz4gdxs30uva.jpeg
    y6sfamjhcbd1.jpeg

Not sure what qualifies as nerdy or geeky but I love birds, comics, and games.

Found these great stores recently and was in heaven.

MFP split my post for some reason. See below.

• nooshi713
    edited January 2020
    Options
    mzpgk2btub4e.jpeg
    9p8cpylntoae.jpeg
    dy856mz20b30.jpeg
    x1uprzwgxdgo.jpeg
    hm5ztvuyqqe2.jpeg
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    fz4gdxs30uva.jpeg
    y6sfamjhcbd1.jpeg

mzpgk2btub4e.jpeg
    9p8cpylntoae.jpeg
    dy856mz20b30.jpeg
    x1uprzwgxdgo.jpeg
    hm5ztvuyqqe2.jpeg

Marry me 💍
  • nooshi713
    Options
    fz4gdxs30uva.jpeg
    y6sfamjhcbd1.jpeg

mzpgk2btub4e.jpeg
    9p8cpylntoae.jpeg
    dy856mz20b30.jpeg
    x1uprzwgxdgo.jpeg
    hm5ztvuyqqe2.jpeg

Marry me 💍

😋🥰🎉

• AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    That’s an awesome looking store.
  • Gregzy182
    Gregzy182 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So is anyone else looking forward to the new ST Picard??
    I also want to see the Short treks but being from the uk it hard to get a hold if them 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

5djs5tymg4kb.jpg