Calorie Counter

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Vegans, what did you eat today?

Replies

• IJP2019IJP2019 Member Posts: 19 Member Member Posts: 19 Member
    Here’s a falafel recipe I just made this morning, I added brocoli to mine as well and and not use any oil or flour. To not use flour, I just didn’t add the vegetable broth, so the mixture was already dry....however I did add some panko to the mixture to make it easier to roll into balls. They taste great!

I also made some without them rolled in panko amd like them much better!

https://fabsgoodfood.com/recipe/crispy-vegan-falafels-with-tempeh-walnuts/
  • everydaysanotherchanceeverydaysanotherchance Member Posts: 11 Member Member Posts: 11 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Mexican Quinoa Black Bean Stuffed peppersk452hwcsb10f.jpg

That looks super delicious! Where can I get the recipe?

The VERY first pop up from google search.
    https://minimalistbaker.com/spanish-quinoa-stuffed-peppers/

Actually the recipe I used is from The Garden Grazer blog https://www.thegardengrazer.com/2015/10/mexica non-quinoa-stuffed-peppers.html
  • everydaysanotherchanceeverydaysanotherchance Member Posts: 11 Member Member Posts: 11 Member
    Mexican Quinoa Black Bean Stuffed peppersk452hwcsb10f.jpg

That looks super delicious! Where can I get the recipe?

Actually the recipe I used is this one. https://www.thegardengrazer.com/2015/10/mexicanon-quinoa-stuffed-peppers.html
  • georgieamber2georgieamber2 Member Posts: 214 Member Member Posts: 214 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    I will be upfront and say I am not vegan. I have many food restrictions due to medical reasons and allergies, so a vegan or even vegetarian lifestyle does not work well for me (I have tried). That said, I love reading threads like this and watching vegan/vegetarian YouTubers for great ideas on how to increase the amount of produce I eat and for recipes. I try not to eat a ton of meat (for a stirfry I will use half the meat normally called for and double the veg) and I do make vegan/vegetarian meals often (LOVE an easy veggie pasta with roasted garlic hummus as the sauce).

So I hope you all don't mind me hanging around for ideas and tricks!

I hope you find some suitable recipes for you!!❤️
    ds87bf1wg3t6.jpg
    Israeli Salad
    Here is the pin https://pin.it/cmbakap5mca6m4
  • OrphiaOrphia Member Posts: 6,960 Member Member Posts: 6,960 Member
    The Israeli salad looks so beautifully delicious!!!

I also want to try making Lebanese fatoush. A friend brought it to a BBQ and I fell in love with it.

https://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/recipes/fast-recipes/fattoush-9484

FF-fattoush-628.jpg?width=922&height=768&mode=crop&anchor=topcenter&quality=75

My friend used her Mum's recipe, but that looks similar, except my friend's salad was in smaller pieces like yours (except for the fried lebanese bread pieces which were larger like in the pic).

I'm sure I'd do the same with the Israeli salad.
    I'm finding it's SO cheap to eat vegan.

Even with all the nice new "fake meat" products appearing every time I go to the supermarket which are sometimes more than the meat alternative.

But with more of us buying them, the price keeps coming down, and they're on special a lot.

Yes, it's so cool how there is far more choice these days.

And we know loads more about food, nutrition, etc. And we can look things up that we don't know.

Had a great half-hour chat about all this with a dietitian this morning, actually!

She said I'm doing really well.

We agreed the best plan now is if I get annual blood tests for:

Vitamin D
    Iron
    B 12
    Calcium.

All were excellent a few months ago. Been vegan now 6 or 7 weeks, I think, with no change as far as I can tell, except feeling a lot happier.

I'll get tests done on Wednesday. Stay tuned!

Yesterday I made tri-colour quinoa, firm tofu (pan-fried in sesame oil), Shanghai veg mix, with Chinese five-spice, and Szechuan seasoning.

"5-years-ago Me" would never have thought I'd be doing that.

But my brain wanted to chuck those things together that were in the kitchen. :smile:

jbeck0433 wrote: »
    I'm here because I thought about going vegan and I was just looking at a few options of creative foods. You guys have some awesome suggestions and I might be making my decision very soon. I think I may be trying to go vegan just to wear this shirt lol. Nonetheless I'm really down I have a lot of underlying issues that I think going vegan can help.

Hi, @jbeck0433 thanks for talking about this!

Yes, it's just really cool to see ideas of foods, and how people use them together in different ways.
    Athijade wrote: »
    I will be upfront and say I am not vegan. I have many food restrictions due to medical reasons and allergies, so a vegan or even vegetarian lifestyle does not work well for me (I have tried). That said, I love reading threads like this and watching vegan/vegetarian YouTubers for great ideas on how to increase the amount of produce I eat and for recipes. I try not to eat a ton of meat (for a stirfry I will use half the meat normally called for and double the veg) and I do make vegan/vegetarian meals often (LOVE an easy veggie pasta with roasted garlic hummus as the sauce).

So I hope you all don't mind me hanging around for ideas and tricks!

Hi @Athijade Feel free to lurk or comment as you wish!

I got into this more by looking at the Volume Eating thread, in which people make meals a lot bigger by adding vegetables to them.

It's a way of eating "more" but not adding many kilojoules/calories.

Ooh, veggie pasta with roasted garlic hummus sauce. There's one for future reference! Thanks.
  • ShadowsanShadowsan Member Posts: 365 Member Member Posts: 365 Member
    I ate naked glory sausages on Sunday on Burgen bread with a little ketchup... Indistinguishable from a normal sausage sandwich. 😂
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 9,151 Member Member Posts: 9,151 Member
    Not a vegan but mondays are vegan / meatless mondays for me.
    Beef tripe soup, but with oyster mushrooms to imitate tripe and sliced smoked tofu to imitate shredded meat. Spice accordingly and delish :)
  • FoodieMotionFoodieMotion Member Posts: 77 Member Member Posts: 77 Member
    I'm vegan and currently doing the Happy Shape course which is a calorie controlled eating plan with lots of recipes from The Happy Pear (who are twin brother chefs from Ireland - you can check their YouTube channel).
    I'm less than 2 weeks in and have already lost 3kg (6.6lbs).
    They do have some very tasty recipes including soups, curries, lasagne with more recipes released as you continue the course.
  • windra06windra06 Member Posts: 50 Member Member Posts: 50 Member
    u2x9wdmco260.png
    Chestnut, sweet potato and cranberry falafel with an edamame & sweetcorn salad with a pita and some roasted mushroom and pepper

From this recipe, but i cheated and used cranberry sauce, and used a flax egg
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cranberry-chestnut-falafel
    Meatless Monday for me. So........ tofu noodles and veggies stir fry is planned.
    Well I lied a bit. Decided to do a Moroccan spiced stuffed eggplant with fava beans and tomatoes. Tomorrow will be that stir fry, promise lol

buuke2vw6sxw.jpg
    edited January 21
  • SchweddyGirlSchweddyGirl Member, Premium Posts: 243 Member Member, Premium Posts: 243 Member
    I am not vegan, but I did make vegan lentil soup tonight. I highly recommend this...especially if you like huge servings of food with minimal calories (366 calories or so). It fills about 3/4 of a dutch oven, with the recipe saying that it is 4 servings. I usually end up with 6 servings, because it is also a very hearty soup.

https://cookieandkate.com/best-lentil-soup-recipe/

• windra06windra06 Member Posts: 50 Member Member Posts: 50 Member
    BBQ apricot tufu yum! I doubled the tofu and tomato and grilled the tofu to reduce calories
    1mdajct8ks41.jpgtweoy2xf6hge.jpg
    Spicy beancurd (tofu) noodles stirfry with mushrooms and bokchoy. Love this stuff!!!

xg5kpe4g1tiu.jpg
    Vegan meatless Monday for me again. Tofu beancurd noodle stirfry with enoki mushrooms and bok choy with oyster sauce. A huge bowl of yummmmm.
    bsw7pygecpjd.jpg
  • diamonds1202diamonds1202 Member Posts: 19 Member Member Posts: 19 Member