Vegans, what did you eat today?

124»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I'm finding it's SO cheap to eat vegan.

Even with all the nice new "fake meat" products appearing every time I go to the supermarket which are sometimes more than the meat alternative.

But with more of us buying them, the price keeps coming down, and they're on special a lot.

Yes, it's so cool how there is far more choice these days.

And we know loads more about food, nutrition, etc. And we can look things up that we don't know.

Had a great half-hour chat about all this with a dietitian this morning, actually!

She said I'm doing really well.

We agreed the best plan now is if I get annual blood tests for:

Vitamin D
    Iron
    B 12
    Calcium.

All were excellent a few months ago. Been vegan now 6 or 7 weeks, I think, with no change as far as I can tell, except feeling a lot happier.

I'll get tests done on Wednesday. Stay tuned!

Yesterday I made tri-colour quinoa, firm tofu (pan-fried in sesame oil), Shanghai veg mix, with Chinese five-spice, and Szechuan seasoning.

"5-years-ago Me" would never have thought I'd be doing that.

But my brain wanted to chuck those things together that were in the kitchen. :smile:

• Orphia
    jbeck0433 wrote: »
    I'm here because I thought about going vegan and I was just looking at a few options of creative foods. You guys have some awesome suggestions and I might be making my decision very soon. I think I may be trying to go vegan just to wear this shirt lol. Nonetheless I'm really down I have a lot of underlying issues that I think going vegan can help.

Hi, @jbeck0433 thanks for talking about this!

Yes, it's just really cool to see ideas of foods, and how people use them together in different ways.
  • Orphia
    Athijade wrote: »
    I will be upfront and say I am not vegan. I have many food restrictions due to medical reasons and allergies, so a vegan or even vegetarian lifestyle does not work well for me (I have tried). That said, I love reading threads like this and watching vegan/vegetarian YouTubers for great ideas on how to increase the amount of produce I eat and for recipes. I try not to eat a ton of meat (for a stirfry I will use half the meat normally called for and double the veg) and I do make vegan/vegetarian meals often (LOVE an easy veggie pasta with roasted garlic hummus as the sauce).

So I hope you all don't mind me hanging around for ideas and tricks!

Hi @Athijade Feel free to lurk or comment as you wish!

I got into this more by looking at the Volume Eating thread, in which people make meals a lot bigger by adding vegetables to them.

It's a way of eating "more" but not adding many kilojoules/calories.

Ooh, veggie pasta with roasted garlic hummus sauce. There's one for future reference! Thanks.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    I ate naked glory sausages on Sunday on Burgen bread with a little ketchup... Indistinguishable from a normal sausage sandwich. 😂
  • FoodieMotion
    FoodieMotion Posts: 78 Member
    I'm vegan and currently doing the Happy Shape course which is a calorie controlled eating plan with lots of recipes from The Happy Pear (who are twin brother chefs from Ireland - you can check their YouTube channel).
    I'm less than 2 weeks in and have already lost 3kg (6.6lbs).
    They do have some very tasty recipes including soups, curries, lasagne with more recipes released as you continue the course.
  • windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    u2x9wdmco260.png
    Chestnut, sweet potato and cranberry falafel with an edamame & sweetcorn salad with a pita and some roasted mushroom and pepper

From this recipe, but i cheated and used cranberry sauce, and used a flax egg
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cranberry-chestnut-falafel
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    I am not vegan, but I did make vegan lentil soup tonight. I highly recommend this...especially if you like huge servings of food with minimal calories (366 calories or so). It fills about 3/4 of a dutch oven, with the recipe saying that it is 4 servings. I usually end up with 6 servings, because it is also a very hearty soup.

https://cookieandkate.com/best-lentil-soup-recipe/

• windra06
    windra06 Posts: 50 Member
    BBQ apricot tufu yum! I doubled the tofu and tomato and grilled the tofu to reduce calories
    1mdajct8ks41.jpgtweoy2xf6hge.jpg
  • diamonds1202
    diamonds1202 Posts: 24 Member
    I'm doing vegetarian, but many of my choices this week have been vegan.

Here's a few:

Brazilian Roasted Vegetable Feijoada: https://fussfreeflavours.com/brazilian-roasted-vegetable-feijoada/

Vegan "Chicken" Karaage: https://matchaandtofu.com/vegan-japanese-chicken-karaage/

Vegan Ajiaco Colombian Soup: https://veganhuggs.com/vegan-ajiaco-colombian-soup/

Vegan "Fish" Pie: https://www.rhiansrecipes.com/gluten-free-vegan-fish-pie/

Moroccan Vegetable Tagine: https://www.sfchronicle.com/recipes/article/Recipe-How-to-make-Nopa-s-Moroccan-Vegetable-13508757.php

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I'm vegan and currently doing the Happy Shape course which is a calorie controlled eating plan with lots of recipes from The Happy Pear (who are twin brother chefs from Ireland - you can check their YouTube channel).
    I'm less than 2 weeks in and have already lost 3kg (6.6lbs).
    They do have some very tasty recipes including soups, curries, lasagne with more recipes released as you continue the course.

I love getting meal ideas from The Happy Pear. (plus they aren't harsh on the eyes)
  • _Blumenkraft_
    _Blumenkraft_ Posts: 22 Member
    ^^ The Happy Pear are great!

Today I've had homemade hummus on toast for breakfast (not what I usually have but the cupboards were almost bare!)
    Lunch was a slice of harrissa roasted cauliflower tart with green salad, capers and chia seeds.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Only a banana so far.

But I'm gonna make a panini with hummus (or chickpea mash), mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, onion, cilantro and whatever else sounds good.
  • Hey_Skippy
    Hey_Skippy Posts: 47 Member
    My go to salad has been shredded Brussels sprouts with green apple, brown rice or quinoa, and a super simple Dijon apple cider vinaigrette.

I love a good hearty soup in the winter. I throw in a ton of root vegetables (the humble turnip is my favorite) and otherwise whatever I have hanging around.

I’ll eat seafood or fish, and the rest of my family likes their meaty proteins, so I just cook those separately and add them to their portions at the end!
  • SelenaMariaStewart
    SelenaMariaStewart Posts: 112 Member
    Today I had fruit for breakfast. A veggie sub topped with sweet onion dressing for lunch, two rice cakes topped with almond butter for a snack, homemade vegetable soup with chickpeas for supper,and an apple early evening. Add in some tea in there too lol.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Not strictly vegan.
    The bulk of my dinner last night was a toasted naan round, topped with roasted pine nut hummus, a thin slice of provolone, and fresh spinach. Could’ve done without the cheese, as I couldn’t even taste it.
    My lunch was the last leftover bit of mushroom pasta: sauté garlic, shallot and onion in avocado oil until translucent, add a huge amount of sliced brown mushrooms, cook for a bit, deglaze with 2 cups water, add roasted garlic better than boullion and vegetable better than boullion for flavor, as well as sage & thyme, then dumped in maybe a half cup of orzo pasta. It formed its own brown gravy-like sauce and was delicious.