Do you trust Pizza Hut?

Avidkeo
Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
edited January 2020 in Food and Nutrition
So just had pizza for dinner, and I actually weighed my pizza before eating it. I had 2 slices (one regular size, one small) that weighed 93 grams.

According to Pizza Hut, 100 grams of pepperoni Pizza is 190 calories.

So my 2 slices were only 176 calories??

Would you believe that?

For the record, one slice is supposed to be 72 grams, and the small slice I was was the typical tiny slice. So I'd believe that the weights are the cooked weight.

ETA this is where I got the nutrition information. We are talking about a pepperoni pan pizza. Maybe I read it wrong?

https://www.pizzahut.co.nz/nutritional-content

I'm in NZ. I've logged 2 slices at 183 calories per slice. Cause rather guess over than under

Replies

• Avidkeo
    edited January 2020
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I would trust it as an approximate. While many people like to say you can't trust restaurant calorie info because maybe they're putting on more toppings than the calorie info is based on, that's not really true. There may be a little variation either way, but if they were actually consistently over by more than a very small amount, it would cut into their profit margin.

Also, this shows that it's actually pretty easy to fit a couple of slices of pizza into your day, or even half a pizza.

Hmmm see now I wonder if this is uncooked weight. So cooked weight would mean more calories.

I decided to split the difference, and logged 1.75 slices. I looked online and a lot of pizza was closer to 180 calories per slice, but this is only an 11 inch pizza which would make a difference.

I have the exercise calories so I'm not over, and this is using purely exercise calories so I'm good what ever I log.

And this is why I run, to eat pizza! And yep easy to work in, if you plan and log haha.

PS love your profile pic, where is that?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I would trust it as an approximate. While many people like to say you can't trust restaurant calorie info because maybe they're putting on more toppings than the calorie info is based on, that's not really true. There may be a little variation either way, but if they were actually consistently over by more than a very small amount, it would cut into their profit margin.

Also, this shows that it's actually pretty easy to fit a couple of slices of pizza into your day, or even half a pizza.

Hmmm see now I wonder if this is uncooked weight. So cooked weight would mean more calories.

I decided to split the difference, and logged 1.75 slices. I looked online and a lot of pizza was closer to 180 calories per slice, but this is only an 11 inch pizza which would make a difference.

I have the exercise calories so I'm not over, and this is using purely exercise calories so I'm good what ever I log.

And this is why I run, to eat pizza! And yep easy to work in, if you plan and log haha.

No, it will be based on cooked weight.

Profile pic is at the top of Mt Kapakapanui (Kapiti Coast, NZ) :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I have never seen a pepperoni pizza at less than 2 calories per gram, so I don't know. Could they have confused 100 g with the typical slice size (which is usually 70 grams - 72 grams in your case)? Pepperoni pizza is usually closer to 250-280 calories per 100g, so a 72 gram slice would be very close to the mentioned 190 calories.
  • Avidkeo

Thought it looked kiwi! I don't th3they have trigs anywhere else do they! Love to see fellow kiwis on here.
  • Avidkeo
    I have never seen a pepperoni pizza at less than 2 calories per gram, so I don't know. Could they have confused 100 g with the typical slice size (which is usually 70 grams - 72 grams in your case)? Pepperoni pizza is usually closer to 250-280 calories per 100g, so a 72 gram slice would be very close to the mentioned 190 calories.

Could be the very skimpy coverage of pepperoni and how thinly sliced it is?
  • Nony_Mouse

I would hazard a guess that perhaps NZ Pizza Hut pizzas are less calorific than their US counterparts? The website's nutritional info has cals by both serve/slice, and per 100g (cos that's how we roll here at the bottom of the world).

Thought it looked kiwi! I don't th3they have trigs anywhere else do they! Love to see fellow kiwis on here.

Ah, wondered if you were a Kiwi too :). I really don't know if other countries have dodgy old wooden trig stations on the top of their hills! How are you meant to peak brag if you can't take a photo of the trig to prove you made it up there??
  • Avidkeo

Another thought on this, at 2 calories per gram thats about 200 calories, so fits the information pretty closely.
  • Avidkeo

I would hazard a guess that perhaps NZ Pizza Hut pizzas are less calorific than their US counterparts? The website's nutritional info has cals by both serve/slice, and per 100g (cos that's how we roll here at the bottom of the world).

Ah, wondered if you were a Kiwi too :). I really don't know if other countries have dodgy old wooden trig stations on the top of their hills! How are you meant to peak brag if you can't take a photo of the trig to prove you made it up there??

Exactly! And yeah there's every chance that our "deep pan" is about half as thick as the US counterpart. And I know they don't put as much pepperoni. There was a lot of free space around each slice.

Maybe I just trust them. I mean advertising and nutrition laws are pretty strict here, they have to be as advertised or pretty close to it.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited January 2020

It's just that pita bread alone (the closest bread to pizza dough) is about 275 calories per 100 gram, so if we assume 30 something grams of bread per slice that only leaves 100 calories for toppings. I suppose it could work if you only use 10 grams of pepperoni (50 calories). Okay, now I'm curious. Next time I buy a pizza it will be an 11 inch and I will ruin a slice by scraping off the toppings and weighing them lol. I don't live in the US but I log a generic entry, so maybe my pizza is lower in calories too!

• Nony_Mouse

Exactly! And yeah there's every chance that our "deep pan" is about half as thick as the US counterpart. And I know they don't put as much pepperoni. There was a lot of free space around each slice.

Maybe I just trust them. I mean advertising and nutrition laws are pretty strict here, they have to be as advertised or pretty close to it.

I would trust it, and it's not like you're eating it every day, so a little bit off won't even make a blip.

Out of curiosity, I had a look at Hell's nutritional info, and yep, their pepperoni pizza is 272 cals per slice. Probably considerably more pepperoni on it than Pizza Hut's. Pro tip for Hell pizza, btw, sprouted seed base shaves ~400 cals off a large pizza (and is delicious).
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    One of the local pizza places near my house has an opening into the kitchen, and you can see the workers making the pizza.
    I got there early for a pickup order one night and ended up watching the cooking. They were weighing all the toppings they used, so if there was nutritional info available, I guess theirs would be pretty accurate. I have not idea if the big chains do this.
    Sadly, this place doesn’t have nutrition info available.
  • Avidkeo

I would trust it, and it's not like you're eating it every day, so a little bit off won't even make a blip.

Out of curiosity, I had a look at Hell's nutritional info, and yep, their pepperoni pizza is 272 cals per slice. Probably considerably more pepperoni on it than Pizza Hut's. Pro tip for Hell pizza, btw, sprouted seed base shaves ~400 cals off a large pizza (and is delicious).

OMG i love hells!!

I'm off to Wellington this week so I'll be having hells while there!
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    I don't bother weighing it - I just go by the slice but I have Pizza Hut weekly and still lose lol.
  • Nony_Mouse

OMG i love hells!!

I'm off to Wellington this week so I'll be having hells while there!

Unfortunately, their website doesn't have the nutritional info for the gluten-free bases. I got them to send me the base info a couple of years ago and then calculated from that. Limbo on sprouted seed base is in the database (that's the only one I did the calculations for), but if you want accurate macro info I can dig out the email from them and send it to you. Otherwise, just subtract 50 cals per slice :)
  • sunnysue63
    sunnysue63 Posts: 1 Member
    I would say that pizza is not cut into exactly equal slices so weight per slice will be variable. I would just track as it says in the app, it will average out over the times you eat it if that makes sense.
  • Nony_Mouse
    sunnysue63 wrote: »
    I would say that pizza is not cut into exactly equal slices so weight per slice will be variable. I would just track as it says in the app, it will average out over the times you eat it if that makes sense.

She weighed her slices, and logged according to weight, so variable size is a moot point.
  • amusedmonkey

It's just that pita bread alone (the closest bread to pizza dough) is about 275 calories per 100 gram, so if we assume 30 something grams of bread per slice that only leaves 100 calories for toppings. I suppose it could work if you only use 10 grams of pepperoni (50 calories). Okay, now I'm curious. Next time I buy a pizza it will be an 11 inch and I will ruin a slice by scraping off the toppings and weighing them lol. I don't live in the US but I log a generic entry, so maybe my pizza is lower in calories too!

Okay, one disagree is a fluke, 2 is nearly a trend. I wonder what people are disagreeing with, or are they offended I'm planning to do horrible things to my pizza :innocent:
  • Avidkeo

No idea why people are disagreeing, though I wonder at the size of your Pita bread to get 275 calories!!. Most of ours are around 140 calories for a 45g piece. I gave you a like, mostly because I want to know what the base v topping weight ratio is! And it will be a while before we have pizza again (she says typing this sitting in McDonald's... I only had a burger and a latte, well within my calories haha. Kids are burning off their lunch on the playground)