Swimming - Satan’s exercise?

Options

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    I call swimming the Devil’s exercise because I suck at it! Whenever I try to do laps, I’m so inefficient in my stroke that I’m exhausted at the end of one lap. Clearly swimming is not my sport!

All you graceful swimmers out there, God bless you! Swimming is the best exercise, and no pressure on your joints!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    I call swimming the Devil’s exercise because I suck at it! Whenever I try to do laps, I’m so inefficient in my stroke that I’m exhausted at the end of one lap. Clearly swimming is not my sport!

All you graceful swimmers out there, God bless you! Swimming is the best exercise, and no pressure on your joints!

As I wrote in another post--swimming is just pushing water around. Can you do that? Then you can swim. You need to want to and just be persistent. I took my 3 boys to swimming lessons for years and they did competitive training. I loved watching them in the pool. My husband is also a fantastic swimmer. I was the only one in the family that had only gotten as far as the dog paddle. So, I decided to do acquagym and take a swimming course. That was 23 yrs ago. It took me awhile, but I got my stokes down and the rest is practice. Would I call myself a "graceful" swimmer? Maybe now, because I like form and what the human body can do. It always amazes me. So, just keep pluggin' along and you'll get there.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    It strikes me as so odd when I hear about adults who are learning to swim!

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to belittle non swimmers, but just the concept of not being able to swim from from the age of being a toddler is just so foreign to me it's hard to wrap my head around.

Maybe it's a Australian thing or a growing up near the coast thing because in my 45 years on this earth I don't think I've ever come across someone over the age of 3 or 4 that couldn't swim.

I knew how to leisure swim, I could save myself if I had to. However, to actually swim laps....I was not efficiently breathing, terrible form. I am doing my first Sprint Tri in the summer and didn't want to be the last out of the water.
  • kiwiroz
    kiwiroz Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to belittle non swimmers, but just the concept of not being able to swim from from the age of being a toddler is just so foreign to me it's hard to wrap my head around.

Maybe it's a Australian thing or a growing up near the coast thing because in my 45 years on this earth I don't think I've ever come across someone over the age of 3 or 4 that couldn't swim.

I knew how to leisure swim, I could save myself if I had to. However, to actually swim laps....I was not efficiently breathing, terrible form. I am doing my first Sprint Tri in the summer and didn't want to be the last out of the water.

Even if you are last out of the water you will still be ahead of everyone lying on the couch x
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    kiwiroz wrote: »

Even if you are last out of the water you will still be ahead of everyone lying on the couch x

You are absolutely right....thank you <3
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

Half of all adults in the US can't swim at all and would drown if thrown into deep water! There are multiple drownings every year at various bodies of water, including our local lake. Swimming is considered so dangerous that every pool is required to have lifeguards. (I note that there are no lifeguards in the weight room!)

This is an old study, but it makes the point.

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/news-and-events/press-release/red-cross-launches-campaign-to-cut-drowning-in-half-in-50-cities.html

Unlike walking, you have no innate ability to swim!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    As I wrote in another post--swimming is just pushing water around. Can you do that? Then you can swim. You need to want to and just be persistent. I took my 3 boys to swimming lessons for years and they did competitive training. I loved watching them in the pool. My husband is also a fantastic swimmer. I was the only one in the family that had only gotten as far as the dog paddle. So, I decided to do acquagym and take a swimming course. That was 23 yrs ago. It took me awhile, but I got my stokes down and the rest is practice. Would I call myself a "graceful" swimmer? Maybe now, because I like form and what the human body can do. It always amazes me. So, just keep pluggin' along and you'll get there.[/quote]

I love to swim, and started lessons when I was a small child.
    My dad took adult lessons when he realised his 5 year old daughter could out pace him :smiley:
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

It really is a matter of locality and the culture. I live in Wisconsin, a US state with a lot of water and outdoor activities like swimming, boating, and fishing are extremely common even though we have long frozen winters. Even so, it is estimated that about 1/3 of adults in my state cannot keep themselves afloat if they fell in water. Most of those live in cities where access to lakes or pools is limited and most schools do not have a pool to teach swimming.

My small town was a bit different. Almost everyone learned at least basic swimming. We had one lake and 2 rivers right in town plus another lake and river within 5 miles so the city decided to make swimming lessons a priority. They offered them for free for all city residents under age 18 as long as they completed 2nd grade or were 8 years old and at a very small cost for all residents of the county. It worked. The only drownings I remember were out-of-towners or private pool accidents.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

having grown up in australia and now lived in US for 20 years i can say that is the truth - they don't have the centrlaized swim lessons during the summer that most australian kids do
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »

A few swim lessons would probably fix that and make your swimming experience much more enjoyable.

I love swimming, though I don't lap swim much...mostly play around in our pool with the kids chasing them around and diving for their torpedo darts and whatnot. I started taking lessons at a pretty young age with Red Cross and ultimately became a Red Cross certified lifeguard, water attraction life guard, and shallow water lifeguard. I also did a season on a swim team when I was around 15 or 16 which was a lot of fun.

Anyway, a few lessons would likely go a long way in your enjoyment of swimming. I don't think anyone I know that is a good swimmer was self taught.

https://www.safeswim.com/red-cross-swim-lesson-levels/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

There is no shame in being last. What would you say to one of us, or a friend, concerned about being last. I was last in my first 5k, my first tri sprint , and my first Olympic distance aqua bike (swim then bike, no run). Proud of it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    I love swimming. I should go more often - I've been climbing a lot recently, but I've injured a finger so have more time available for other exercises.

About 4 years ago, I taught myself a new stroke (for me) - the no hands; backwards breast stroke. It's useful when scuba diving, for example to avoid bumping into your buddy at the safety/deco stop. I was doing a scuba course where it was needed.

It's like a standard breast stroke leg action, but done in reverse to make you go backwards. I practiced enough where I could do a 25 metre length easily enough at the pool, and it did indeed translate to being able to it on dives.

I don't recommend it for non-divers, as you go very slowly, can't see where you're going, and look desperately eccentric. Learning a new stroke as an adult was an interesting experience, though.

Yes, when I was swimming a lot and combating boredom I tried new ways of breathing while doing the crawl (aka freestyle). For decades I've been breathing under my right arm, so trying to breath under my left or alternating where I was breathing was very challenging.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    I come pretty close to thinking of swimming as the devil's exercise.

I don't like being wet all over. As a longtime canoeist and rower, and sometime kayaker, swimming feels like failure.

I learned to swim as a child (in Michigan, BTW, which is allfulla water), but resisted learning and practicing, and by adulthood lost everything other than dog-paddle or a poor-quality backstroke. That was enough to save myself in conditions where I would canoe/row, especially when wearing a PFD (which most rowers don't). I was able to pass a minimalist rowing camp swim test (100 yards continuous any stroke, 5 minutes treading water), but it wasn't pretty. And I did flip boats a few times, and live, without causing risk to others.

Nonetheless, rowers have to be able to swim, and I wanted to be better at it, so I took adult learn-to-swim lessons in my late 40s. It was a really good experience. It improved my confidence, and improved my skills very significantly. I can now swim freestyle laps, though I still struggle to get full lengths (33 yard pool), because my breathing vs. intensity are still a problem. And I learned or tuned up other strokes.

I do try to swim a bit in Winter, so as not to backslide, at least. My attitude has improved a little, but I still don't find it actually fun. (Usually I alternate lengths of freestyle and backstroke, because of the breathing efficiency thing.)

Nonetheless, it's good exercise, and it burns calories, and (for me) it's a necessary skill. It's even mildly strengthening, for muscle groups I don't usually show as much love.

OP, if you enjoy it, go for it. Only ignorant people deprecate its value, IMO . . . even among those of us who do think it's the devil's exercise, kinda. ;)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I come pretty close to thinking of swimming as the devil's exercise.

I don't like being wet all over. As a longtime canoeist and rower, and sometime kayaker, swimming feels like failure.

I learned to swim as a child (in Michigan, BTW, which is allfulla water), but resisted learning and practicing, and by adulthood lost everything other than dog-paddle or a poor-quality backstroke. That was enough to save myself in conditions where I would canoe/row, especially when wearing a PFD (which most rowers don't). I was able to pass a minimalist rowing camp swim test (100 yards continuous any stroke, 5 minutes treading water), but it wasn't pretty. And I did flip boats a few times, and live, without causing risk to others.

Nonetheless, rowers have to be able to swim, and I wanted to be better at it, so I took adult learn-to-swim lessons in my late 40s. It was a really good experience. It improved my confidence, and improved my skills very significantly. I can now swim freestyle laps, though I still struggle to get full lengths (33 yard pool), because my breathing vs. intensity are still a problem. And I learned or tuned up other strokes.

I do try to swim a bit in Winter, so as not to backslide, at least. My attitude has improved a little, but I still don't find it actually fun. (Usually I alternate lengths of freestyle and backstroke, because of the breathing efficiency thing.)

Nonetheless, it's good exercise, and it burns calories, and (for me) it's a necessary skill. It's even mildly strengthening, for muscle groups I don't usually show as much love.

OP, if you enjoy it, go for it. Only ignorant people deprecate its value, IMO . . . even among those of us who do think it's the devil's exercise, kinda. ;)

LOL, I am your polar opposite on this one. I LOVE water and have since I was a baby. As a family we would camp on a lake and we kids spent as much time as possible in or on the water and I was the one who was in the water most of the time. When I learned to kayak as an adult (grew up canoeing) I practiced wet exits as much as possible because I found it fun to turn upside down in the kayak and swim out. My excuse was that I needed to perfect reentering the boat.

My swimming is not fast and it is not pretty but I can swim for ages. I used to swim across the lake to my friend's home for fun and even now I will happily swim for 90 minutes in the pool. I prefer lakes and rivers but the pool is a saline one so it isn't as bad as chlorine.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options

@Joanna2012B - The only thing that spectators will be thinking is how impressive your effort is, since so many people are intimidated just by looking at an open water swim course. And every triathlete who is an adult onset swimmer is thinking the same thing: "I can't wait til the swim is over, so I can get on my bike!!" :)
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Swimming is so good for you whole body. I also think it’s good for you mentally since you can zen out in the process. And walking is also one of the best exercises you can do for your body. I think people that knock other people’s fitness routines are just trying to bring them down to their level. Humans are naturally petty.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Swimming is so good for you whole body. I also think it’s good for you mentally since you can zen out in the process. And walking is also one of the best exercises you can do for your body. I think people that knock other people’s fitness routines are just trying to bring them down to their level. Humans are naturally petty.

You are so right. I hear people putting down walking but, according to the National Weight Control Registry, walking is the most common exercise among those who have lost at least 30 lb and kept it off for 3 years or more.
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

There is no shame in being last. What would you say to one of us, or a friend, concerned about being last. I was last in my first 5k, my first tri sprint , and my first Olympic distance aqua bike (swim then bike, no run). Proud of it!

Hahaha...you are sneaky! Of course I would tell anyone that just doing it is AWESOME!! :)

Djproulx wrote: »

@Joanna2012B - The only thing that spectators will be thinking is how impressive your effort is, since so many people are intimidated just by looking at an open water swim course. And every triathlete who is an adult onset swimmer is thinking the same thing: "I can't wait til the swim is over, so I can get on my bike!!" :)

I know for sure I will be thinking that!!! :D
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Hahaha...you are sneaky! Of course I would tell anyone that just doing it is AWESOME!! :)

Djproulx wrote: »

I know for sure I will be thinking that!!! :D

DFL > DNS> DNR (dead last is better than didn't start is better than didn't register)
  • WJS_jeepster
    WJS_jeepster Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Former collegiate swimmer here with a few thoughts:
    We were always told you are hungrier after swimming vs other exercise since the water keeps you cooler. Raising your core temperature a bit like with running suppresses appetite.

Also, the less efficient of a swimmer you are the more calories you will burn covering the same distance.

I LOVE to swim but had to quit due to over-use rotator cuff issues. I've considered having the surgery to repair that I would need to go back to it but it sounds absolutely awful.