Jan 2020 Check In

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Hi! My name is Kristen. And I struggle to maintain my weight. I have had great success losing/gaining, but I'm hoping this group helps me be more accountable. I weigh only 1x week on Sundays, so that's when I'll check in. My 2 goals in 2020 are to not let the scale go above 153 and weigh in EVERY Sunday for the WHOLE YEAR. This seems easy to most, but I get lazy and make excuses why I don't need to weigh in and then all of a sudden everything in my closet has shrunk. LOl

ex: Female
    Height: 5'11"
    Total weight lost: 20 pounds
    Time it took to lose: 2 months
    How long in maintenance: 2 months
    Starting Weight: 164.8 (September 3rd, 2019)
    Goal Weight: 150 (Hit November 8th, 2019)
    Maintenance weight range: 147 - 153

Average weight recorded for September: 160.1
    Average weight recorded for October: 154.0
    Average weight recorded for November: 149.2
    Average weight recorded for December: 146.4

Week of...
    January 5th: 146.4(Trend Weight:146.6)
    January 12th: 145.5(Trend Weight:145.9)
    January 19th: 145.1(Trend Weight:145.4)
    January 26th: 144.4(Trend Weight:144.8)

Successes: Went a couple hundred calories over maintenance Tuesday + plus chose to eat a work provided meal for lunch on Thursday and still ended up losing. But at least the losing is slow.

Struggles: I'd like to stop freaking out that the scale will go up so much that it goes down instead. My goal for this week is to hit at least 1750 everyday this week. My average this past week was 1635.

Hope everyone is doing awesome!
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    Name: Ben
    Height: 6'
    Total weight lost: ~60 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 8 months
    How long in maintenance: Since ~ December 2018
    Maintenance weight range: 163-168

Average weight recorded for 2019: 162.8
    Average weight recorded for December 2019: 162.6

Week of...
    January 5th: 162 (trend 162.2)
    January 12th: 160.7 (trend 162.2)
    January 19th: 159.5 (trend 162.3)
    January 26th: 158.4 (trend 161.6)

Successes: Continuing to average over 20K steps a day (though my new Garmin is still shorting me on calories, boo.) Neither snow nor sleet nor dead of night has kept me from the gym.

Struggles: Nothing major. A bit lower trend on the scale than I'd prefer, and still not back to doing as much strength training as last year.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    HEAVIEST weight: 175.4 in early 2013.
    Total Weight lost: 30 pounds
    Time it took to lose: ~6 months
    How long in maintenance: Since July 2018 -- but with some fluctuation outside of goal range.
    Maintenance weight range: 142 - 148 (and not sure that's the right answer)

Average weight recorded from 2017 (12 months): 163.8
    Average weight recorded from 2018 (12 months): 150.7
    Average weight recorded from 2019 (12 months): 144.8

Average weight recorded from December 2019: 145.0

Average weight Week of...
    December 23 - 29..............145.1
    December 30 - January 5...145.3
    January 6 - 12....................144.1
    January 13 - 19..................142.6
    January 20 - 26..................143.2
    January 27 - February 2......

Success of the week: After putting on four pounds by mid-week (recovering from the gut bug and losing four pounds in a day), I've moderated back to my goal. Today is bagel day!

Struggle of the week: I was really tempted to eat certain foods this week, but except for Friday night, I was able to moderate my intake.

The TrendWeight website says I have exactly the same trending weight as my simple weekly average. The algorithm that Weight Grapher uses says I'm about a quarter pound heavier.The True Weight spreadsheet I keep that's part of the Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep it Off discussion group here has me spot on my goal weight! I guess that all goes in the success column, too.

Speaking of TrendWeight, I went back and looked at my data going back to when I started my journey in 2017. It tells an interesting story. There's about a year of just dinking around and not making a whole lot of progress. Then a good six months of steady loss down near my goal and entering maintenance in July 2018. After that, there's a clear maybe eight months of struggling with those last few pounds to get my scale weight to my ultimate goal. Still some fluctuations, and then a relatively good year in 2019. The fluctuations continued, but as I get better dialed in to maintenance, they ~SEEM~ to be getting smaller. So this is all good.

q8hlj5t5gvni.png

• GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    Successes: Continuing to average over 20K steps a day (though my new Garmin is still shorting me on calories, boo.) Neither snow nor sleet nor dead of night has kept me from the gym.

Struggles: Nothing major. A bit lower trend on the scale than I'd prefer, and still not back to doing as much strength training as last year.

Try changing the activity class on your garmin account. I don’t know whether setting it up or down would give you the desired effect. But it says it goes into calorie burn.

l34xymsyxjbi.png
  • reversemigration
    reversemigration Posts: 168 Member
    GregInORL wrote: »
    Try changing the activity class on your garmin account. I don’t know whether setting it up or down would give you the desired effect. But it says it goes into calorie burn.

Interesting! I'm going to adjust the class and see what happens. Thanks!

• GregInORL
    GregInORL Posts: 232 Member
    GregInORL wrote: »

Interesting! I'm going to adjust the class and see what happens. Thanks!

I look forward to hearing your results in the February thread
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Height: 169 cm (5'6")
    Total weight lost: 55.4 kg (122 lbs)
    Time it took to lose: 11 months
    How long in maintenance: 3 weeks (06/01/20)
    Maintenance weight range: 63.5-66.5 kg (140-147 lbs) [N.B. Will reevaluate this range based on DEXA scan results - will get scan in a couple weeks time.]

Jan 6: 65 kg (143.3 lbs)
    Jan 13: 65.7 kg (144.8 lbs)
    Jan 20: 62.9 kg (138.7 lbs)
    Jan 27: 66kg (145.5 lbs)
    January average = 64.9 kgs (143.1 lbs)

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week:
    Seeing as at last week's weigh-in I was below my maintenance range, this past week I stopped intermittent fasting and had a week of eating ALL the things to get myself back in the range... For the most part all the things were still healthy low-carb wholefoods, (it wasn't an off-the-wagon-binge), and I've kept to my normal daily exercise habit.

Key struggle was a bit of PMT, increased cravings, increased hunger, and I indulged in sugar-free chocolate - not a normal part of my diet, I probably ate more of it in the past week than I had in the six previous months put together!

imho maintenance is harder than losing weight. I know what to do to lose weight, but to maintain...? I've got 3kg (6.5lb) fluctuations in a single week.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    Luciicul wrote: »
    imho maintenance is harder than losing weight. I know what to do to lose weight, but to maintain...? I've got 3kg (6.5lb) fluctuations in a single week.

It's definitely not EASIER, but it's really not harder either. It's mostly the same damn thing, just with a slightly larger allotment of allowable fuel each day or week. My post from 8:30 this morning tells an interesting story, and I bet you a bagel YOU will have a similar story if you choose to stick to it. Do that. Tell me the story. You got this. If so... I have your bagel!

14dmv30e9gio.jpg
  • jplinis
    jplinis Posts: 35 Member
    Name: Janine
    Height: 4'11''
    Total weight lost: 3.8 kg (8.36 lbs)
    Time it took to lose: Since September 2019 but off and on for 5 years
    How long in maintenance: Since January 2020
    Maintenance weight range: 48 - 50 kg (105.9 - 110.2 lbs)

Average weight recorded for August: 56.3 kg (124.1 lbs)
    Average weight recorded for September: 55.9 kg (123.2 lbs)
    Average weight recorded in October: 54.9 kg (121 lbs)
    Average weight recorded in November: 54.2 kg (119.5 lbs)
    Average weight recorded in December: 52.8 kg (116.4 lbs)
    Average weight recorded in January: 52.2 kg (115 lbs)

Week of..
    Dec 29 - 53 kg (116.8 lbs)
    Jan 5 - 52.7 kg (116.2 lbs)
    Jan 12 - 52.0 kg (114.6 lbs)
    Jan19 - 52.1 kg (114.9 lbs)
    Jan 26 - 52.2 kg (115 lbs)

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: My monthly average for January is still down despite the 100 gram increase in my weekly average so I'm pretty pleased with that. I wouldn't have noticed that if it wasn't for this thread. :smile: I haven't had any takeaway this week at all and have taken 5 days off the gym. I also found my appetite is a bit low which is quite interesting.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,951 Member
    Name: Kathryn
    Height: 5'4"
    Total Weight lost: ~80 lbs
    Time it took to lose: 2 years 3 months
    How long in maintenance: I called maintenance in July 2016, but I continued to slowly lose until December of 2017. I have been in maintenance since December 2017
    Maintenance weight range: 115 - 120 lbs

Average weight recorded from 2018: 118.8
    Average weight recorded from 2019: 115.2

Average weight recorded for November: 113.6
    Average weight recorded from December: 114.2

Week of..
    Jan 5: 113.8 scale/ 114.6 trend
    Jan 12: 113.6 scale/ 114.5 trend
    Jan 19: 112.6 scale/ 114.6 trend
    Jan 26: 112.4 scale/ 113.8 trend

Success(es)/struggle(s) of the week: Weight dropped a little this week, but I'm not worried about it. During the week it was as high as 115 and the trend has mostly been in the 114's. We took my mom back over the the ER for some discomfort she was having following her surgery, but they ruled out pancreatitis and sent her home. So she is ok, but it was a little stressful. My weight tends to be lowest on the weekends and then higher during the first part of the week and just kind of goes up and down. I feel good where I am. I do like my weight to be at least 113, but I feel like it will be back up pretty quickly. And I seem to be maintaining between 113 and 115 most of the time with only an occasional drop lower than 113.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Luciicul wrote: »
    Height: 169 cm (5'6")
    Total weight lost: 55.4 kg (122 lbs)
    Time it took to lose: 11 months
    How long in maintenance: 3 weeks (06/01/20)
    Maintenance weight range: 63.5-66.5 kg (140-147 lbs) [N.B. Will reevaluate this range based on DEXA scan results - will get scan in a couple weeks time.]

Jan 6: 65 kg (143.3 lbs)
    Jan 13: 65.7 kg (144.8 lbs)
    Jan 20: 62.9 kg (138.7 lbs)
    Jan 27: 66kg (145.5 lbs)
    January average = 64.9 kgs (143.1 lbs)

Seeing as at last week's weigh-in I was below my maintenance range, this past week I stopped intermittent fasting and had a week of eating ALL the things to get myself back in the range... For the most part all the things were still healthy low-carb wholefoods, (it wasn't an off-the-wagon-binge), and I've kept to my normal daily exercise habit.

Key struggle was a bit of PMT, increased cravings, increased hunger, and I indulged in sugar-free chocolate - not a normal part of my diet, I probably ate more of it in the past week than I had in the six previous months put together!

@Luciicul
    Just give yourself a year to figure it out.

I had dieted a fair amount over my lifetime, learning more tricks & things that worked for me each time.

But maintenance, I’d rarely had much time in that space.

Use the discussions in this Maintenance strand. Study them. And stay awake & engaged, even when the scale might not do what you want....you CAN do this

AND it may likely get easier as dieting did with the practice & attention.

I gave myself 3 years to lose weight slowly.

I’m giving myself 3 years to craft a way of life (food, exercise, sleep, stress reduction, hobbies, relationships, living spaces, cooking skill, etc.) that makes maintenance easier.

Good luck! Keep in touch!
  • Luciicul
    Luciicul Posts: 415 Member
    Thanks @mtaratoot and @MadisonMolly2017 - yes, I agree, maintenance is a process of continued consistency and some new learning, and it will take me time to work out what suits my body and feel comfortable/gain confidence that I won’t regain.

I am committed to mastering this - in the past I have had weight gain and loss and regain - the yo yo - because I spent so much of my effort on the weight loss part and didn’t realise that maintenance required constant vigilance too. This time round I knew from the start that maintenance would be the thing I had to learn more than anything. Am determined not to fall into old bad habits and regain!
  • 425Recess
    425Recess Posts: 257 Member
    Height: 5'4"
    Total weight lost: 50lb.
    Time it took to lose: Over years with ups/downs
    How long in maintenance: at current weight 21 months - Was on maintenance for 7 years at 125 lbs.
    Maintenance weight range: 115 +/- 2 lbs.
    Average weight recorded from 2018: Don't have the recorded number but stayed at goal.
    Average weight recorded from 2019: 114.5

Average weight recorded from January: 115
    Average weight recorded from February:115.5
    Average weight recorded from March:113.5
    Average weight recorded from April:114.5
    Average weight recorded from May:113.5
    Average weight recorded for June:114.5
    Average weight recorded for July:113.5
    Average weight recorded for August:114.5
    Average weight recorded for September:114.5
    Average weight recorded for Oct:114.5
    Average weight recorded for Nov:114.5
    Average weight recorded for Dec: 115

Week of..
    Jan 6 113.5
    Jan 13 115
    Jan 20 114.5
    Jan 27 116.5

Comment: This is the highest weight since 2/2019. After a few weeks off, I went to all 4 of my exercise classes this week but I don't think my exercise classes really matter so much. I think it is more that yesterday I had popcorn and pizza. But that said, I know that I have been a little sloppy with tracking. So, this week I am going to be careful about tracking and measuring everything.